Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was 13 I ended up facing my biggest fear, at the time-a break in. I remember waking up to the sound of two of my three dogs yelping, in the office room(which is where they were kept, in kennels), the room next to mine at the end of an L shaped hallway that lead to the kitchen/family room. Now, both of my parents were to be at work and I was an only child. My parents never came home early from work. I could only remember two times it happened before. Only us three lived in that house at the time. So my first thought was, "Did they manage to somehow get out of their kennels and start fighting(they often fought)?" Then I heard a groaning noise. It sounded like a man's voice. I couldn't identify it, though. I started to feel a sinking feeling in my chest. After the groan, the yelping stopped for a minute and I heard the sliding glass door to the office(which lead to the back porch) slam shut.

Now I thought, "If that for any reason were my dad, why didn't he shut the door first, then deal with the dogs?" It'd make more sense, because that would prevent them from escaping so he could place them in the kennels. If someone tended to the dogs before being concerned about the door, they must have been some immediate threat. Then the yelping began again. At this point I was pretty sure someone was breaking in. My brain immediately froze, for a second or two and I became overwhelmed with fear. Then I thought, "I have to call the police." There was a phone right next to me, but just before I reached for it, I thought, "I haven't even seen what's going on. I have no proof someone is trying to break in. It could just be my dad(however much I doubted it). The last thing I need are cops showing up for nothing. I don't have anything to run with right now."

So I decided I would fight back, but cautiously, regardless of how scared I was. Not doing anything could get me killed. So I picked up the back half(the thick half) of a two piece, screw-on pool stick and walked slowly towards my bedroom door, which was closed. I wanted to swing my door open and go help my dogs, but I decided it was too risky. I didn't know if the office was open or closed and opening the door could give away the element of surprise, which I needed because I was only 13 and had no idea who I was dealing with. So I waited beside my door. I doubted they would open a closed room, not knowing what was inside, before checking the rest of the house. So I was pretty confident they would pass by, when they finished with the dogs. My plan was to sneak up behind them after they walked by my door and give em' the hardest whack to the back of their head I could dish out.

As I was waiting, I was trying to size up the situation. I could tell, by the way things sounded, there was only one man in the office. Next thing I knew, the dogs stopped yelping. I then heard the office door open and close quietly, again arousing my suspicions of a break-in. It could've been my dad, knowing I was sleeping trying to be quiet, but after all of that noise why try to close a door quietly? It seemed odd. I then listened for footsteps to pass by my room. Once they passed, I counted to 3, in order to put a little space between us so I could open my door without the man hearing.

When I opened my door, I saw the garage door down the hall open and the garage light was on. There was no car in the garage. At this point I know it's real. I pretty much immediately froze in fear. It was paralyzing, but I shook it off after a few seconds. I quietly walked down the hall and checked my open bathroom, just to be sure there was no one who could pop out behind me as I made my way to the garage. It was empty. I moved to the corner of the L shaped hallway and peeked around the corner to make sure no one was in sight. No one was. I then made my way next to my garage door and stood there in wait for the man, holding my pool stick up for a home run swing. I heard a few noises, small bumps and bangs. I then saw a shadow creep up to the door. When I could tell the man was right next to the door, I knew he'd see me if he walked through the door so I decided to use the element of surprise and sacrifice the back-of-the-head swing, going right for the face. I jumped around the corner of the doorway and lifted up the EDIT: pool stick, like a bat to swing. I then noticed immediately it WAS in fact my dad and pulled back. He was pretty quick to jump out of the way though, even though I didn't swing, haha.

Anyways, long story. I know it seems pretty obvious, based on what I wrote what was being used. My question is though, if I were a thinker wouldn't I have realized this fear was a bit irrational in the first place? Wouldn't my emotions have been lesser(that was extreme panic and fear, I experienced)? It just seems to me like a thinker would have been more cool, calm and collected. Or maybe my idea of cool, calm and collected is a bit off.

If you've stuck with me this far, could you give me your thoughts on this? Maybe help me better understand the difference between the Feeling and Thinking preferences.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Sorry if I left out a few details. It's pretty early in the morning and I'm extremely tired. Also, I'm not used to telling stories or describing things to others, so it might have a few blank spots or places where more information could be added.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The difference between T and F isn't relevant for your story.

Simplified:
Ti: Introspective logical thinking
Te: Logical thinking applied to your surroundings
Fi: Introspective moral thinking
Fe: Moral thinking applied to your surroundings.

People with imagination have a tendency for fear, and for that it doesn't matter if you're a thinker or a feeler. With enough experience you learn what parts of your fear you can ignore or modulate and what situations pose real threats. Given the data you had available, being somewhat scared wasn't irrational.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference between T and F isn't relevant for your story.

Simplified:

People with imagination have a tendency for fear, and for that it doesn't matter if you're a thinker or a feeler. With enough experience you learn what parts of your fear you can ignore or modulate and what situations pose real threats. Given the data you had available, being somewhat scared wasn't irrational.
Gotcha. I guess I've pictured, "Feelers" as the more irrational type. The type that would freeze in a situation like that or experience strong emotions that would cloud their judgment. I didn't know it was more-so based on morals. Thanks for clearing the air a bit.

Are there any indications as far as my type in that story or even writing style? I'm still in a bit of a toss up right now between INTP, ISTP, ISTJ and ISFP. When I first joined this site, I was like a bear coming out of hibernation. I had been robbed of a lot of sensory experiences for two years, but now that I have an active/physical job, I'm feeling a bit more like myself. So if anything I've posted is most like me(still a bit off), it'd be recent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had this just recently. It was about 4am and I was just getting to sleep and I heard a sound like someone had just come in the kitchen window. It seriously sounded like someone moving about the kitchen so I got all riled up and went to go and see. Turns out it was just my kittens messing about...bloody kittens :tongue:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Gotcha. I guess I've pictured, "Feelers" as the more irrational type. The type that would freeze in a situation like that or experience strong emotions that would cloud their judgment. I didn't know it was more-so based on morals. Thanks for clearing the air a bit.

Are there any indications as far as my type in that story or even writing style? I'm still in a bit of a toss up right now between INTP, ISTP, ISTJ and ISFP. When I first joined this site, I was like a bear coming out of hibernation. I had been robbed of a lot of sensory experiences for two years, but now that I have an active/physical job, I'm feeling a bit more like myself. So if anything I've posted is most like me(still a bit off), it'd be recent.
Having strong emotions cloud one's judgement is a typical thing for immature INTPs and ISTPs. My experience is that ISTPs tend to play it cooler than INTPs, since, I think, their pronounced Se function makes them more likely to trust their ability to improvise their way through a tricky situation, while an INTP's Ne, which normally would aid them in seeing possibilities, can go haywire and show them everything that might go wrong instead, thereby effectively making them freeze, unable to choose from what they view as a selection of bad possible consequences.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
First of all X, great story. You write extremely well. Anything less than writing screen plays, novels (even short ones) will be a waste of your talent. As for how this is type related, I don’t think it was. This was all about an emotional state which we all will encounter regardless of our cognitive functions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry I know this is mean, but just based on the sheer length of your story, and all of the detail, I would question whether you are truly an ISTP.

CAT says: "I started reading and way too many words, and then I was like…what………then i was like huh, and then I got a little bored....something about clutches" :tongue:

Reactions: MrSmashem

·
Registered
912 Posts
Simplified:
Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread xReBoRN7!

Zynthaxx, would you please give us your simplified version of the rest of the functions as well? Your Ti through Fe is on the spot.

K thx, continue on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry I know this is mean, but just based on the sheer length of your story, and all of the detail, I would question whether you are truly an ISTP.

CAT says: "I started reading and way too many words, and then I was like…what………then i was like huh, and then I got a little bored....something about clutches" :tongue:
I don't like writing, I think ISFP's in general dislike writing more than any other type. I have written extremely long emails to people though (easily doubling the OP's post), especially when i'm trying to explain a situation so other people can fully understand it or for other people to give me their opinions. I just wanted to add that so the OP doesn't think he's not a certain personality just from writing a 6 paragraph post with details because he was trying to gain other peoples perspectives.

Questioning whether he's really an ISTP or not based solely on the length and details of 6 paragraph post is kind of silly.

From reading your post x, it does seem like you were more on the calm, cool, and collected side. You weren't really "freaking out" emotionally, you just prepared yourself. You had good reason to think it was a break-in since you said there were only 2 other times that your parents came home early. Plus you were only 13. I don't really think that specific situation should be applied when trying to understand the differences between Feeling and Thinking preferences though.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I am still not sure I agree with anyone attempting to extract a cognitive function from X's example. To me it appears plain and simply a description of a fearful moment which is an emotional state, not a cognitive one which would preclude it be type related.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Ive felt mixed up from time to time as well, but im more confident of my choice now especially since I know I take in more information from my surroundings/senses than straight intuition.

Regardless I still feel I have two main functioning modes though. The Main one being ISTP, but I definately have my INTJ moments (I mostly get ISTP on tests, but once in a blue moon I get INTJ and sometimes even INTP.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the story wasn't the best example I could give. Although, I do thank everyone for taking the time to read through it. I questioned posting it, due to the length. Does anyone have an idea of what my type might be according to my writing style? I've read that can be a pretty good indicator. If not, maybe a few questions can clear the air?

I know only I can be the judge of my own type, but a little shove in the right direction would help a lot.

P.S. @Ducati-The only reason it's as long as it is, is because I wanted to make sure I didn't leave any gaps in the story(what was happening, my thought process throughout etc.). I hated writing it, but I thought it'd be able to help me to somewhat identify my preferences, so I put in the effort. I almost never type more than 2 paragraphs at most and that is rare in and of itself.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread xReBoRN7!

Zynthaxx, would you please give us your simplified version of the rest of the functions as well? Your Ti through Fe is on the spot.
I'm glad you liked it. My understanding of the other functions isn't as clear though, but let's try:
Se is an inventory of the current situation.
Ne is an inventory of available possibilities.
Si makes past situations look attractive and "right".
Ni provides something like an instant look-up table for cause and effect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess the story wasn't the best example I could give. Although, I do thank everyone for taking the time to read through it. I questioned posting it, due to the length. Does anyone have an idea of what my type might be according to my writing style? I've read that can be a pretty good indicator. If not, maybe a few questions can clear the air?

I know only I can be the judge of my own type, but a little shove in the right direction would help a lot.

P.S. @Ducati-The only reason it's as long as it is, is because I wanted to make sure I didn't leave any gaps in the story(what was happening, my thought process throughout etc.). I hated writing it, but I thought it'd be able to help me to somewhat identify my preferences, so I put in the effort. I almost never type more than 2 paragraphs at most and that is rare in and of itself.
I noticed another site that had a "live chat with a professional" for people who were unsure of their type. You could try something like that or a few more tests. Free Jung Personality Test or Personality Test seem to be pretty accurate.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Ducati, I am perplexed why you assert that X may not be ISTP based on his writing style. I pasted a writing style of the ISTP in the "Best ISTP Descriptions" thread (post #11) where it says, “(ISTPs) tend to ramble and may have many more facts than needed but include them anyway.” I know I can ramble with too many facts in my posts. X seemed to be providing facts he considered pertinent.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
As was already said, the imagination creates fear. If I'm alone in the house at night when its silent, and imagine there are people outside the windows staring in at me without me realizing it, I can make myself get really scared. If I'm in a dark basement and imagine a ghost is behind me, I'll get scared as hell and run up the stairs.

But ISTP's are excellent in crisis situations. Notice how you froze and said to yourself, "fear does nothing for me. I must fix this with action," and then moved on? That's the ISTP way (some other personalities do it too). I suppose some other personalities would have hid in the cupboard trembling in fear. But then again testerone does it too, and gives us that adrenaline when there is a problem that needs some fixin. Though I've heard stories of women being perfectly calm in a theft/hostage situation too. I'm not really sure if I can reach a conclusion from anything I've just said.

Just know that all that emotion you're pushing aside eventually bottles up all week until you get high bloodpressure friday night and start throwing your dress belts across the room and screaming yet you're not sure why you're angry (just revealing some personal experience).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I noticed another site that had a "live chat with a professional" for people who were unsure of their type. You could try something like that or a few more tests.
Well, according to the second test, I'm about as ISTP as it gets.

Personality test results

Ta-dah, your personality type is ISTP!
Introverted (I) 89% Extraverted (E) 11%
Sensing (S) 82% Intuitive (N) 18%
Thinking (T) 90% Feeling (F) 10%
Perceiving (P) 82% Judging (J) 18%

Haha. Maybe I'm having a hard time actually understanding the cognitive functions or I'm taking them to literally.

Edit: Forgot to mention the first test. I didn't take it, I figured the second's results were enough and I honestly didn't want to take another test, lol.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
you could also be INFJ I guess. They're notorious for not knowing who they are. But you have ISTP eyes (no homo).

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I'm glad you liked it. My understanding of the other functions isn't as clear though, but let's try:
Se is an inventory of the current situation.
Ne is an inventory of available possibilities.
Si makes past situations look attractive and "right".
Ni provides something like an instant look-up table for cause and effect.
I always thought Ti was the lookup table. The mental flowchart that appears instantaneously, that is CONSTRUCTED with Ni, which just connects the dots.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you could also be INFJ I guess. They're notorious for not knowing who they are. But you have ISTP eyes (no homo).
Looked into it and based on what I read matched with the cognitive functions, I'd say it's pretty far off.

P.S.-Was about to make a homo joke, but that's a little hard to do online. You dodged a bullet this time! :angry: lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts