Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guess is that many of us INTJ's aren't big fans of reality TV shows, that is if we watch TV at all. I admit though that it's been a guilty pleasure of mine lately now that school's ended. For some reason I just find enjoyment in watching people make fools of themselves to the public.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That's why people watch reality tv, to feel better about themselves by seeing other people fail. Although they would never admit it. I agree though, its fun watching someone cry over their undercooked chicken roast, it's pathetic and hilarious. I don't watch reality tv though, I have other ways of feeling better about myself.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That's why people watch reality tv, to feel better about themselves by seeing other people fail. Although they would never admit it. I agree though, its fun watching someone cry over their undercooked chicken roast, it's pathetic and hilarious. I don't watch reality tv though, I have other ways of feeling better about myself.
I definitely agree. I rarely watch reality TV, but when I do, there is a strange pleasure in seeing others unravel. Plus, it kind of makes you feel glad that you're not in their place.

·
Administrator
23,704 Posts
I'm not a fan of reality TV.

I watched Big Brother for a season when I was studying psych because it seemed to me to be the best way of passing ethics committees to conduct social experiments. I was a bit bored though and wow;

it's all so personal with the showers and such being on all the time. I try to put myself in their shoes and just think no, I'd never knowingly sign up for such around the clock exposure. I would be an emotional paranoid wreck at the end.

I don't think it's all strictly reality either.

I just don't find it interesting.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seldom watch television and I despise reality TV. It's like someone with BPD this drivel to slowly destroy the intelligence of the world. I like Modern Marvels.
I do enjoy that show too. I can't leave my documentaries.

I have trouble watching dramas though. To me it's like reading fiction novels which I have no interest in.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I don't like reality TV, but I do enjoy watching the History Channel (when it shows history), Smithsonian Channel, and the Food Network (I'm a sucker for food :3)

·
Registered
11,991 Posts

why i'd run away with mark knopfler, probably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't stand reality TV.

My mom and sister would watch the bachelor every week, total addicts. I personally think anyone who likes that show is a wack job.

I don't have a tv either, so anything that I do watch is on netflix, which is usually startrek, criminal minds, or One tree Hill....hahaha judge me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I confess to liking Survivor. There was cheering and high 5s in the house for this week's episode!

As for TV - I love it. As long as it is quality stuff like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones etc. Can't stand all the lame CSI style TV.

Having said, watching TV is something my partner and I do together (yes, I'm sure many will think that is totally lame!) - we don't have many common interests. I've noticed that when he's out of town for work for a few weeks the TV doesn't get switched on once. It just doesn't occur to me to do it.

·
Banned
8,159 Posts

My mom and sister would watch the bachelor every week, total addicts. I personally think anyone who likes that show is a wack job.

I don't have a tv either, so anything that I do watch is on netflix, which is usually startrek, criminal minds, or One tree Hill....hahaha judge me.
Live long and prosper.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I never understood the appeal, I've tried watching the local version of the Big Brother or Survivor but it wasn't as psychologically fascinating as I assumed. Just a bunch of loud characters constantly starting drama over nothing.

My SFJ relatives seem to adore that sort of thing, I find all of them unwatchable.

Exception made for occasional clips of Hell's Kitchen on youtube. I find Gordon Ramsay highly entertaining.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts

I won't judge you. :O I don't like it either.

I've been on a Criminal Minds binge of late. Just finished season 2, but I may need a break. That show is intense with a capital I.

I'm in that awful position of coming so late to the party that there's a really high chance of me running into spoilers everywhere. Which makes me want to binge before I get half the plotlines ruined, but I'm getting tripped up cause it is hard to binge watch that show.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's why people watch reality tv, to feel better about themselves by seeing other people fail.
I never thought of that but it is certainly true in my case. I sometimes watch reality tv with family members and friends and I often think of how I would do things differently than the people on the show, usually in a judging manner.

(Also, I just looked up Stormlord and listened to a few songs after seeing your avatar. I absolutely love everything I've heard.)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't really like reality tv, even though there's one show I like. It's called "Expeditie Robinson", 16 famous people travel to some tropical island and try to survive while battling both nature and the other team. I know it's fake as crap but I like it :')

·
Registered
434 Posts
While I think that reality shows are for people of "lesser intelect", I can imagine that INTJ might enjoy this sort of thing. INTJs like to observe people, I guess. It's just that I would flip pretty soon after watching other people embarass themselves in front of millions on TV.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I think that reality shows are for people of "lesser intelect", I can imagine that INTJ might enjoy this sort of thing. INTJs like to observe people, I guess. It's just that I would flip pretty soon after watching other people embarass themselves in front of millions on TV.
I feel like this is another reason why I have this weird fascination with reality TV. Everyone is aware that a lot of this stuff is scripted, but it's still interesting to see how people interact with one another and their surroundings in times of stress.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never understood the appeal, I've tried watching the local version of the Big Brother or Survivor but it wasn't as psychologically fascinating as I assumed. Just a bunch of loud characters constantly starting drama over nothing.

My SFJ relatives seem to adore that sort of thing, I find all of them unwatchable.

Exception made for occasional clips of Hell's Kitchen on youtube. I find Gordon Ramsay highly entertaining.
Watching Gordon Ramsay scream at incompetent people is fun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts