Personality Cafe banner

Watchmen :d

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  campbell828793 
#1 ·
Watchmen

Hello fellow viewers.

Okay, for some reason, a thought struck to me about discussing the graphic novel, "Watchmen". According to a lot of critics, Watchmen has become such a psychological and philosophical phenomenon. I enjoy reading the comic book very much and by far is the most unique one I've ever seen. I love the characters (to be honest, I think Laurie is a bit annoying but she is the most sensible person I've seen throughout the whole book:proud:). Rorschach for the win:crazy:

I would like to see your thoughts on this book. It may seem to be pointless discussing about a comic book, but it's okay if you think that way. Read the graphic novel then and explore! :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews and such:proud:

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou
#3 ·
Kick-Ass is funny as hell! :crazy:

Reactions: L'Empereur
#4 ·
As one who is typically out of the loop in terms of culture, I had no idea what Watchmen was until the movie trailers were being released. So, before I saw the movie, I read the graphic novel, and was hooked. Here was a dystopia future, fictional in terms of details, yet a perfectly realistic critique on what people really are and how the world is. I thought the movie did well, and ultimately the final conclusion and message was the same, despite it playing out differently. Visually very good, loved seeing some of my favorite shots of the comic be perfectly recreated. I think reading the novel helps in terms of how the characters are portrayed; you're able to fill in the gaps of character personalities with what you know, since it's tough to have a full appreciation for who these people are in the 2 and a half hours we see them on screen vs the depth we get from the novel.

My favorite character, is pretty obvious ;)

I actually didn't think Rorschach was that fascinating to be honest. Veidt, the Comedian, and Jon I thought were far more intriguing.

#5 ·
interesting analysis you got there jock. I agree; both the movie and the book were well portrayed and both captured my attention a lot.

#6 ·
Ok, look... the movie is pretty much garbage since they left the main plot points out. Really, it makes no sense in the way that they tried to wrap it up nicely. Then again, to do actual justice to the Graphic Novel would take a movie at least 2x as long.

I remember reading it when it came out while I was in high school (I have the original 12 issue comics) and was transfixed by what I had read. I was so happy when they decided to do a movie about it, but I guess it's the best that Hollywood come up with.

For me, Dr. Manhattan the most sensible one, followed by the Comedian, Ozymandias, Moloch, then Rorschach.

#8 ·
Yes, ESPECIALLY the ending. Leaving out the main plot points makes the ending completely incomprehensible. And why even have Bubastis in the movie, seeing as well, she's one of the fucking MAJOR plot points?

PLUS, the subtext of "The Tales of the Black Freighter" is largely responsible for the foreboding atmosphere of the dystopian alternate world in which the main story takes place. It's the plot of that story, as revealed, that so closely mirrors the internal struggle, IMO, of Rorschach (most pointedly) and all of the characters, in their own way, but most directly parallels Ozymandias.

Really, I could talk for days about the GN, because it is TRULY, that good and resonates with me on several levels.

#9 ·
The GN is fantastic and got me into comics in a serious way, and the movie was as good as it will ever be despite a few nagging complaints. I understand removing the Squid, because a giant Squid would not scare audiences anymore nowadays.

But to be honest, not to say it isn't groundbreaking or to weaken it's impact, I've read better comics lately. I mean it's my opinion and I'm not going to thrust it on others, since it'd be like comparing Star Trek: The Motion Picture to Star Trek (2009).

#10 ·
But the whole story REVOLVES around that blasted squid as the keystone to Ozymandias' plot and to take it out is farcical. And, it was quite a bit more than a mere giant squid if you'll recall.

I haven't read comics in years. They all began to disappoint me greatly in the early 00s

#11 ·
Yes it does revolve around it. And yes I know it was more than a squid. The fact remains that for those who have never read the novel the shock of alien life wouldn't be as impactful. Our culture has alien movies up the ass to the point where it's become a tradition of "Which alien movie will be the best this year?" The audience would see the life-form and go ".....Well then.....What?" Like, I know if a giant monster spontaneously blew up NY now, we'd find some excuse to blow up Iraq for it....Instead they made it look like a man who can literally be anywhere at any point in time and space. In our time, that is a lot more realistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.