Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm once again questioning my type and from analysing the functions it seems I do not use Ne and am very weak at both Ss. Using these two facts alone I must be either an INFJ or an INTJ.

My biggest problem with this is that on every test I've taken online my strongest trait has been P - usually 90%+! Even my first test when I knew nothing and was in no way biased. Are the tests really that inaccurate, or am I just misreading the why of what I do?

Thanks for any thoughts :happy:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Probably a bit of both:) If you think you could be P, you'll probably remember all the P-like stuff you do when taking the test so you choose the P-ish options. Once you know a bit about MBTI, you probably can't take a test objectively again. (Doh!)
The test might ask if you make decisions based on feelings. You say yes! But maybe you are thinking of times you used your third or fourth function but the test doesn't know that.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I cannot see myself as a J - my room is too messy and I've never made a to-do list. But even the first test I took when I knew nothing of MBTI had me down as a strong P...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well I cannot see myself as a J - my room is too messy and I've never made a to-do list. But even the first test I took when I knew nothing of MBTI had me down as a strong P...
I'm also struggling with that portrayal of judgers. I can't see myself as a judger because of all the stuff about being super organized and epically driven. However, when I look at the cognitive functions I seem to be an INTJ.

The first time I took the MBTI test I scored INTJ though. Nowadays I can't take the tests anymore because I subconsciously score as which ever type I want.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have this problem too. The test is not necessarily inaccurate, but it parrots back whatever you tell it to say. If you keep getting a high P score then it's because you see yourself as a strong P already... which defeats the purpose of the test. The same goes for cognitive functions tests.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I find them to be ridiculous, and for a few reasons:

"Ideals", people have a tendency to answer questions based on how they want to be or think they are. It is difficult to have a completely objective view of yourself.

They don't take functions into account, at all. Ne and Ni are worlds apart, as are Si and Se; To test for them as a cloud is just...

Tests happen to generate stereotypes, example: the P/J messy/clean line will actually ruin your perception. People are masochists, if messy is "bad" and neat is "good", one will lower to "well I'm just not clean enough to be a J".

The MBTI is nothing more than your collection of functions. The four letter XXXX is just a label, it's a caption on a picture. A title, if you will.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find them to be ridiculous, and for a few reasons:

"Ideals", people have a tendency to answer questions based on how they want to be or think they are. It is difficult to have a completely objective view of yourself.

They don't take functions into account, at all. Ne and Ni are worlds apart, as are Si and Se; To test for them as a cloud is just...

Tests happen to generate stereotypes, example: the P/J messy/clean line will actually ruin your perception. People are masochists, if messy is "bad" and neat is "good", one will lower to "well I'm just not clean enough to be a J".

The MBTI is nothing more than your collection of functions. The four letter XXXX is just a label, it's a caption on a picture. A title, if you will.
So you're suggesting that the free tests just do letter preferences without looking at the actual functions? That would make them pretty inaccurate and would explain the result vs my best guess.

I'm aware that knowing my type isn't going to change my life but I value being honest so much that posting in one type's section without being that type just seems wrong :blushed:

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Exactly, there is no emphasis on the functions whatsoever.

"Do you like to party?" Introvert vs Extrovert

"Facts or Principles?" Sensor vs Intuitive

"People or Logic?" Thinker vs Feeler

"Messy or Neat?" Perceiving vs Judging.

They take the most boiled down stereotypes and spoonfeed them to angsty teenagers.

Tests tend to have bias because of the stereotypes, the words they use to describe the letters make: Extroversion, Intuition, Thinking, and Judging the ideal letters. Due to the adjectives being better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm once again questioning my type and from analysing the functions it seems I do not use Ne and am very weak at both Ss. Using these two facts alone I must be either an INFJ or an INTJ.

My biggest problem with this is that on every test I've taken online my strongest trait has been P - usually 90%+! Even my first test when I knew nothing and was in no way biased. Are the tests really that inaccurate, or am I just misreading the why of what I do?

Thanks for any thoughts :happy:
The best way to finalize your decision regarding your Type is to read complete descriptions of the Types that you are considering and pick the one that fits the best.

U can do this on line or buy a book.

if after doing that, you still have trouble making a decision I would then guess you are not INTJ because they are very decisive people.

Typically, I have seen INFPs have more trouble making this logical decision and sticking with it. Without knowing u, i would guess u are INFP.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
I always score as ESTJ in those tests.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Asmit, what about your scores on your other functions? Are you very introverted? I am thinking you are INFJ, which would be consistent with high scores with Ni, Fe, and possibly Ti.

Typically, I have seen INFPs have more trouble making this logical decision and sticking with it. Without knowing u, i would guess u are INFP.
He said he does not use Ne. If that is true then it rules out INFP. INFJ's tend to not be very "J"-like. They can be messy and unorganized like "P's."

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am either very introverted or an incredibly depressed extroverted loner. I'd love to be out in a group of people I can actually relate to but have never found one, so I prefer to be alone. How drained would I be from actually participating in social activities for a prolongued period? I just don't know. From what I'm told of my childhood (before age 13) I sound like an extravert but I suffered permanent amnesia and never really recovered "me"

Anyway if most of the people who guessed are right I do use Ne, but there's hardly lots! The thread is http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/30606-what-functions-do-you-see.html if anyone's interested...

·
Registered
68 Posts
tips for finding groups that won't totally drain an introvert

I am either very introverted or an incredibly depressed extroverted loner. I'd love to be out in a group of people I can actually relate to but have never found one, so I prefer to be alone. How drained would I be from actually participating in social activities for a prolonged period?
I'm an INTJ. I'm 100% certain of that. I'm definitely introverted. I've always been introverted. I can remember back to age 4 or 5 and I was introverted then.

I can break out of my introversion tendency and even look like an extravert, when I am in a comfortable setting that interests me. In those settings where I am comfortable, people think I am an Extravert.

I do frequently want to be with groups of people. The trick is to find groups that are focused on your favorite subjects. Then the interaction will feel good or at least better. Although you will still be a bit drained afterwards, it won't be like spending hours at a party with people that bore you.

For example, I have an interest in using certain kinds of web development software. So once a month I go to a user group in San Francisco that is focused exclusively on this type of software. It's great. Most of the people there are introverts and we get along fine. The meetings are run by extraverts. I am only slightly drained by this experience, but mostly it is energizing to be with those people.

I also belong to a group of people that are focused on Personality Type. They also meet once a month. I never miss a meeting. What's even cool about this is that everyone has a name tag with their 4 letter type on it. The entire meeting is devoted to learning more about type. They bring in type experts once a month. When I leave I am slightly drained because my introversion got in the way of me meeting all the people as I wanted, but I am energized by the human contact I did manage to have.

I have an interest in marketing and so there is a group for that, although it's not quite as satisfying as the software and type groups.

So you can be an introvert and still want to be out socializing with groups of people. The key is to find the right group. It took me several years to get to this point. I tried a lot of groups that did not fit.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Michael said:
So you can be an introvert and still want to be out socializing with groups of people.
Thanks for the reminder, it will hopefully help some of the "spoonfed angsty teenagers" referenced by Scruffy earlier :happy:

My post was in relation to this thread though, the accuracy of online tests. Just because I score as an I means I think I'm an I not that I am an I. I do not get drained at boring parties as I'm not really there - I may be having a conversation with one person or just off in a dream world. Until I find a group to actively engage I will not know if it really drains me as it should if I am an introvert. (For what it's worth I'm pretty sure I am...)

Those once a month groups sound great though - I'm guessing the variety available to you is the upside of living in a city? I do not have that luxury, many of the people in my town are retired :mellow:

·
Registered
672 Posts
An online test had me as ESTJ. I think it was because I took it after spending a long time with my work colleague, and the test was far far far far too basic. I remember the questions from Form I, they are a lot more subtle.

Most have me ISTP. Close, but I am definitely INTP. Only one online test I took had me INTP.

Reactions: suicidal_orange

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think it depends on the test. The humanetrics one, in my opinion, is pretty inaccurate. Some of the questions based on iNtuition seem to only describe Ni, and not Ne. I personally think the most accurate ones are the difficult ones to find---there's only a couple of them, and you'll be lucky to find them. I remember taking a fairly accurate online test and getting ENFP. I don't exactly agree with the E part, but I am also open to the possibility of being a ENFP now. I wish I still had the link to it, but I've lost it. Sorry. :( However, I have also found a link to another free MBTI test. Here's the link to it: Personality Type: Advanced Personality Type Career Report

Reactions: suicidal_orange

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I suggest studying the cognitive functions on your own.

These days, I get consistently tested as INTP, but I'm definitely an ENTP because I have Ne as a dominant function.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts