Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are enslaved somehow call it what you want but i have a strong feeling that we are enslaved, there is a way out but i fear we will be enslaved our whole lives until we die
+
it seems like life is crap so you get the desire to improve it then when you do you don't really care about what you have achieved and you always want more
what are your thoughts on this? it really makes me feel like life is miserable when it could be so much more

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
You may feel enslaved. Me, i am free because i choose to be.

I will cite the Honorable Professor B. de la Paz

"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible"

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Our current system is based upon enslavement to further the economy.

Luckily, we have a choice.

If we're educated in the field that we love to do, and we are able to work in that field, then we are free. We are doing what we would be doing even if we didn't get paid for it. That, to me, is freedom.

That being said, it'd still be nice if we revolutionized our system and/or economy to better express the scientific and technological age that we've come onto. The entire system is outdated. We need something new.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our current system is based upon enslavement to further the economy.

Luckily, we have a choice.

If we're educated in the field that we love to do, and we are able to work in that field, then we are free. We are doing what we would be doing even if we didn't get paid for it. That, to me, is freedom.

That being said, it'd still be nice if we revolutionized our system and/or economy to better express the scientific and technological age that we've come onto. The entire system is outdated. We need something new.
if you believe that makes you free, equally you could be just "a guy that enjoys his slavery" and we know how enjoyment in itself can be illusory

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
if you believe that makes you free, equally you could be just "a guy that enjoys his slavery" and we know how enjoyment in itself can be illusory
I believe, do I?

By what you state here, you assume that I think that I am free, and that I am in a position which I enjoy, based upon my original statement. If either of these were true, maybe I would be someone who enjoys slavery-- If enjoying slavery equates to enjoying a position you would enjoy if you were free. To me, either could be argued as being synonymous, if you ignore the structure and focus on the individual.

But, I never said that. I'm also not saying that it's not true, either.

I'd agree in the slavery of humankind due to our economic system. And if I had an idea, or opportunity to change that, even being in a position that I'd enjoy, I would work to change it, regardless of comfort.

I'm always working in my head about how to change the system. I have a lot of good ideas that are building together slowly, but a plan of action is entirely out of my current depth.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Why feel oppressed when i can choose not to? Chasing some kind of absolute truth in life is stupid and pointless. It's about trying to make the most out of now. If you choose to feel like a slave, and choose to regard the people who manage to find happiness in the system that is as guys that enjoy their slavery, then that is up to you.

No one will ever be able to live a life totally without any sort of coercion or influence from circumstances outside of themselves. If you choose to see that as something inherently bad, well then you are going to be miserable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are slaves to happiness, we will always aim it and only be capable or reaching it for few moments. Always aiming to be happy or happier, never satisfied. But well, what would be of humanity if we were ever satisfied? Its an essential trait to our development

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why feel oppressed when i can choose not to? Chasing some kind of absolute truth in life is stupid and pointless. It's about trying to make the most out of now. If you choose to feel like a slave, and choose to regard the people who manage to find happiness in the system that is as guys that enjoy their slavery, then that is up to you.

No one will ever be able to live a life totally without any sort of coercion or influence from circumstances outside of themselves. If you choose to see that as something inherently bad, well then you are going to be miserable.
Sure i agree, and i'm saying that if you are enjoying yourself it doesn't mean that you are not enslaved

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
It's alll about perception, my man. The concepts of freedom and enslavement are incredibly subjective ones.
We are as free or as imprisoned as we perceive to be. And if you want to believe that you are enslaved, all the freedom to ya to do that.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You're only a slave if you choose to be. You have ultimate freedom of choice.

Do you want to free yourself from social constraints? Move towns.

Do you want to free yourself from financial restraints and go and live in the middle of the woods? You can try.

Want to free yourself from your physical constraints? Seppuku.

We have choice in our actions. We have intellectual liberty. We are already free, any subjugation is impermanent.

Reactions: Word Dispenser

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Life is good.
I live in a trailer behind the bi polar lady- pay 200 bucks a month, all utilities included, and she usually lets me wokr it off doing odd jobs.
I fix cars, and build inventions as I want.

Recently I read Atlas Shrugged. Scary book in that it was written 56 years ago and is oh so true. It talks about the sheople running the world, and whether the smart people should work to give everything to everyone else, or rather if smart people should just be happy.

It also talks about the fact there are absolute truths - objectivism.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We're slaves to our jobs. We can't quit because we have to pay the bills and once you have a family the risk of losing a sure income becomes very difficult to turn away.

For me it's a bit depressing when I choose to think about it. I know I could go out on my own and make a big difference and a lot of money, but I feel trapped in a very good job where I make good money, which I seem unable to give up because others are depending on me. This job takes 70 hours a week of my time.

We're slaves to our lifestyles, house, stuff and ultimately our jobs.

I feel bad bringing this up because I should be thankful an Ive got it MUCH better than most. I love working, but working for anyone other than myself feels a lot like selling my dreams down a river for a "comfortable living"

Outside of this forum (and maybe an ENFP, INTP forum) I don't think many people can possibly relate.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sure i agree, and i'm saying that if you are enjoying yourself it doesn't mean that you are not enslaved
And what i am saying is that you are wrong. By your definition there is not a human being who isn't a slave. Everyone is influenced by the circumstances that surrounds them. Does that make most people slaves? No it does not. You are making excuses for your misery. Freedom is a choice, it is not something that is handed to you. There is no difference between feeling like a slave and being a slave. In the same way there is no difference between feeling free and being free.

I have read the several threads that you have been making lately. It is obvious you are feeling quite miserable. The first thing you need to do to stop feeling miserable is to stop justifying your misery. It seems to me that by starting these self-pitying threads you are trying to make a logical argument for feelings depressed. Personally i don't really care how you feel about life and your prospects, but i do feel obliged to inform you that happiness is a choice. It is the choice to see truth, and make what you can of it. Stop pitying yourself, go out and do something. Do whatever, as long as it isn't sitting at home feeling miserable. Work out, eat healthy, start a couple of projects, meet people, learn something, smile at yourself in the mirror, tell yourself that you can do anything you really want to. It works, i know that for a fact because i have been where you are.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Diamond has some truth.
Optionally, if you are REALLY depressed, it can be hard to get out of ground zero, and make the first step.

Go read about depression, see a doctor. About 10 years ago I did that, and my life is MUCH better.

Depression is controlling you and limiting you. HOw's it feel to be controlled by depression?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts