Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
What is illiteracy? Depends whether you view the traditional spelling of words as correctly utilised. In history, there was a fair bit of context being created with fewer books and literacy forms of expression being created. Language developed in its own time and from subtle mistakes in the vocal communication of the illiterate masses and even in writing. But these days, theoretically everything can be saved. Where does language go. By writing in text speak, the illiterate and undereducated generation have actually created their own context and their own path for their language to develop down. It may be abhorrent for us to see with our institutionalised minds but what about the future generations? Would they be stupider because their terminology utilises numeracy as well as vocabulary?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well, the fad is no longer Candide or Robinson Crusoe. It's Twilight and Harry Potter now. I'm that that optimistic.

Reactions: Palaver

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
We are the generation that can't think for ourselves. We rely on information from others to do the thinking.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't group me in with you. I must be one of the few people keeping the average from completely tanking.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think most of gen Y is too busy playing video games and WoW to care. I also think it has something to do with how less and less is being expected of children. They aren't being taught to read until kindergarten when they're 6 years old. I could read when I was 3. Parents are either lazy or too busy with their own stuff to give their kids the attention they need and set the necessary rules and boundaries. Instead of doing something productive when bored, kids use computers to play games or chat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We are the generation that can't think for ourselves. We rely on information from others to do the thinking.
And that would come somewhat from our education system. We're never taught or even told to think on our own, just to recite the correct answers.

We are a very illiterate generation in a few ways. First, we don't read books. I'm not really a part of that because I like to read and write, but a lot of people I know haven't picked up anything bigger than a magazine and read it in years.

Second, we shorten the shortest words to make texting and IM'ing easier. Why is three letters, you is also three. To and too are two and three letters, respectively. There is no need to shorten them.

Three: Fahrenheit 451 effect. TV and gaming is seen as better entertainment, so people don't care about reading. Even an article in a magazine is too long for some people.

Little story: I could read going into 1st grade. My teacher told my parents that was impossible and that I was, "trying so hard to read."

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't remember who said it but the quote goes something like:

"it is always those ignorant of history that slander the present."

Literacy is not at it's peak right now but there was a time that only a few percent could read so obviously we can not be the most illiterate in history.

...you don't have to go back that far to get to some very questionable signs of intelligence in the older generations. Anyone who thinks that older generations were so much smarter needs to explain a lot of things. Like WWII propaganda and the spiritualist movement.

I don't know exactly what time period this was in but there was a black and white video, that was played on a popular TV show (maybe 1940s?) that showed a woman throwing knives around her little kids who just stood there smiling, trusting that her mommy would not throw a knife into them.

The TV show aired this as an interesting oddity. Can you imagine someone doing this in a modern developed nation? It would be high on the news and not in a good way.

There is a cognitive bias that causes people to view the past through rose colored glasses. This cognitive bias seems to affect the way adults think the future is headed.

...and btw, HI! this is my first post!

·
Registered
447 Posts
We are a very illiterate generation in a few ways. First, we don't read books. I'm not really a part of that because I like to read and write, but a lot of people I know haven't picked up anything bigger than a magazine and read it in years.

Second, we shorten the shortest words to make texting and IM'ing easier. Why is three letters, you is also three. To and too are two and three letters, respectively. There is no need to shorten them.
I was a part of this illiteracy influence in my teenage years.

Now, I'm a heavy reader, and I don't play games anymore. I always do my best to use proper English sentences when communicating over SMS, email, or any other medium.

But, I do think we're the generation who could communicate more fluently over text. That is without using voice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, believe it or not, it was posting on a forum that taught me how to write. I joined the animal planet forums when I was 15 and that improved my writing more school could have. If I wanted my arguments to be taken seriously by a bunch of adults, then I had to present my position coherently and fluently. Most people thought I was in my mid 20's when I was really only 16.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Well, believe it or not, it was posting on a forum that taught me how to write. I joined the animal planet forums when I was 15 and that improved my writing more school could have. If I wanted my arguments to be taken seriously by a bunch of adults, then I had to present my position coherently and fluently. Most people thought I was in my mid 20's when I was really only 16.
This typically is a development that only happens if you take your way of thinking up to the next level to begin with. I always felt, and still very often feel out of touch with many of my generation, typically I resonate better with people that have 10 to 20 years on me.

Taking the average from my personal experiences it's save to assume tat most ppl will nvr grow out of doin' these tings, cuz it's cool n a habit they best not be lo0sing. Well, they may do eventually, but that will be long past the point of no return.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This typically is a development that only happens if you take your way of thinking up to the next level to begin with. I always felt, and still very often feel out of touch with many of my generation, typically I resonate better with people that have 10 to 20 years on me.

Taking the average from my personal experiences it's save to assume tat most ppl will nvr grow out of doin' these tings, cuz it's cool n a habit they best not be lo0sing. Well, they may do eventually, but that will be long past the point of no return.
Thats true. I wasn't on the forum for socialization. I was debating things like the ethics of shock collars and dog evolution. My way of thinking was at the next level, debating on a forum just allowed my writing skills to catch up.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I disagree; our generation gets a lot of crap thrown at us for no reason. Our generation is educated, there are more people going to colleges and universites now than there has ever been before. Most people I know love to read, yes they may not read Kafka or Kant but the fact that they're reading is a good thing. Texting abbreviations of words is not the end of the world; texting "u" instead of "you" will not regress our society back to the primitive times. Less doom and gloom guys, less doom and gloom.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts