Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading "what we are" and "guides to help others understand us", but is there a guide to actually help an INTJ life live to their fullest potential?

It was a major awakening to me when I found books on planning, goals, life purpose and other self-help stuff but finding a book written by INTJ's for INTJ would be invaluable!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I think @MissJordan was meant to be working on one at one point, but I believe he retired... So we're without guidance... Unless one of us, or a few of us collaborated on it? (If you're interested I suppose we could organize a facebook group or something to work out what we'd each do then crack on with it?)

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
I think perhaps the most problems that INTJs have is through Fe/Fi misunderstandings. I'd love to know how to effectively deal with them. It's usually not on my part that has the difficulty though. :(

·
Banned
486 Posts
Probably more appropriate to call it a strategy guide given our typology, would be a very useful book for a very small percentage of the population. Still 1-3% of all people is a good market for a book.

There are similar books written for people like us, certainly for INTJ 5s like my myself; "The Art of War", "The Book of Five Rings", "The Laws of Power", and others in that vein.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
It should have good recurring catchphrases like "You have to be in it to win it".

But in all seriousness, the one thing I find that INTJs get in the way of themselves with is the way they present themselves and the information they have to say. It really is as simple as figuring out how to present things in a way that is digestible for others. If you look at it, this is a recurring theme in all aspects of life.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
1. Set goal.
2. Define the necessary steps to reach said goal
3. Assess obstacles and make contingency plans
4a. Goal reached! Return to 1.
4b. Goal not reached. Introspect over why the goal was not reached, what could have been different, or if it maybe wasn't worth reaching. Return to 1.

:p Ok ok....seriously though:

1. Trust your instincts
2. Don't stress over what you don't have control over. Plan for what you can.
3. Be willing to back down. Not every argument is worth winning.
4. Actions speak louder than words and proof will speak for itself.
5. Don't ever become a cynic. The world has selfish, cruel people, but is by no means full of them. Realize that sometimes bad experiences aren't just a result of bad people, but mis-communication, misunderstanding, and incompatibility.
6. If it's not important enough to take a risk for something, it's not important enough to worry about it
7. If you enter a potentially stressful situation, like a competition, always make sure there is someone more easily angered than you - INTJs don't seem to get angry if someone else does first. XD
8. Avoid toxic relationships and people. They'll drag you down before you can drag them up.
9. A little bit of compassion goes a long way, even if it's just something as little as not saying "I told you so"
10. Always find humor in life. As long as you can laugh at the quirks of humanity, you'll be less inclined to want to destroy it. :p

Reactions: luemb

·
Registered
402 Posts
hmm..food for thought.
I would rather get a manual on how to reach my purpose (not obligatory, just suggestions).
I don't need a manual to tell me what my purpose is.

You usually get a manual with a product to tell you how to use it.
why were you given your life?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My INTJ bf wanted to amend my list: "If this is about getting a girlfriend, common wisdom will get you friendzoned." Don't be "nice" the way you think "nice" is....that's a pushover who gets taken advantage of by obnoxious girls you really don't want to date anyway. "Be nice to her, but be aware that her shit does in fact stink"

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind a "how to make friends" (or other, similar social things) by an INTJ for an INTJ...I am great at making acquaintances, I'm great at keeping friends around long term if they are that kind of a friend, but I SUCK at moving from acquaintance to friend. I'm sure part of it is that I'm a female, and would much rather hang out with guys, and I think that makes them feel weird/awkward. I can only handle so much estrogen and "OMG!!!" in my life before I want to beat my head against a brick wall, or just completely isolate myself.

I have enough female contacts in my life - I had no problem making guy friends in the military, college and other previous jobs where there were more guys than girls....but my current workplace has a lot more women (not my department, but the store overall), which seems to make it a lot more difficult.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I keep reading "what we are" and "guides to help others understand us", but is there a guide to actually help an INTJ life live to their fullest potential?
I assume, because you said help an 'INTJ' and not help 'a person', that you meant advice within the realm of MBTI.

And as such, I can recommend a couple books that I recommended over in the INTP sub-forum.

They're not the best, but it's a start.

Introduction to Type: A Guide to Understanding Your Results on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator by Isabel Briggs Myers

Amazon.com: Introduction to Type: A Guide to Understanding Your Results on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (9789999650090): Isabel Briggs Myers: Books

Functions of Type: Activities for Developing the Eight Jungian Functions by Gary Hartzler

Amazon.com: Functions of Type: Activities for Developing the Eight Jungian Functions (9780974375168): Gary Hartzler, Margaret Hartzler: Books

The second one is only ten dollars, and contains whole chapters full of exercises for each cognitive function meant to strengthen that function. You can find 10 dollar Amazon.com gift cards sold at most supermarkets and pharmacies.

If you follow the link for the second book, you can click the image to 'look inside' and preview some of the contents of the book before you buy it.

I can't vouch for the effectiveness of all the exercises, as I don't really need them - but, most of them look alright. I use the (Te) ones sometimes, but, I did most of the stuff the book lists before I got the book. A lot of it is just common sense that won't surprise you.

The first book is more of a general outline of all the types, written by Myers Briggs herself. You can find more in-depth analysis of types and type theory in her book 'Gifts Differing', which I highly recommend anyone who takes MBTI seriously pick up a copy of at some point.

Here is a link to Gifts Differing:

Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type by Isabel Briggs Myers

http://amzn.com/089106074X

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
My INTJ bf wanted to amend my list: "If this is about getting a girlfriend, common wisdom will get you friendzoned." Don't be "nice" the way you think "nice" is....that's a pushover who gets taken advantage of by obnoxious girls you really don't want to date anyway. "Be nice to her, but be aware that her shit does in fact stink"
Also read shit that's posted to pinterest and live by them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Haha, a life manual for INTJ's? That sounds funny :'D I might actually read it for the heck of it if there was one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts