Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://futurism.com/new-evidence-about-cold-spot-in-space-could-support-case-for-a-multiverse/
We May Have Uncovered the First Ever Evidence of the Multiverse

IN BRIEF
A recent study on a space anomaly that has perplexed scientists for years has some suggesting that it could be explained by a parallel "bubble universe" — although there are other, more standard potential explanations, as well.
TOO COLD
For years, scientists have been baffled by a weird anomaly far away in space: a mysterious “Cold Spot” about 1.8 billion light-years across. It is cooler than its surroundings by around 0.00015 degrees Celsius (0.00027 degrees Fahrenheit), a fact astronomers discovered by measuring background radiation throughout the universe.

Previously, astronomers believed that this space could be cooler simply because it had less matter in it than most sections of space. They dubbed it a massive supervoid and estimated that it had 10,000 galaxies fewer than other comparable sections of space.

But now, in a recently published survey of galaxies, astronomers from the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) say they have discovered that this supervoid could not exist. They now believe that the galaxies in the cold spot are just clustered around smaller voids that populate the cold spot like bubbles. These small voids, however, cannot explain the temperature difference observed.

MULTIVERSE?
To link the temperature differences to the smaller voids, the researchers say a non-standard cosmological model would be required. “But our data place powerful constraints on any attempt to do that,” explained researcher Ruari Mackenzie in a RAS press release. While the study had a large margin of error, the simulations suggest there is only a two percent probability that the Cold Spot formed randomly.

Credit: The Royal Astronomical Society

“This means we can’t entirely rule out that the Spot is caused by an unlikely fluctuation explained by the standard model. But if that isn’t the answer, then there are more exotic explanations,” said researcher Tom Shanks in the press release. “Perhaps the most exciting of these is that the Cold Spot was caused by a collision between our universe and another bubble universe.”

If more detailed studies support the findings of this research, the Cold Spot might turn out to be the first evidence for the multiverse, though far more evidence would be needed to confirm our universe is indeed one of many.
https://futurism.com/worlds-without-end-the-many-kinds-of-parallel-universes/
https://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/2982-new-survey-hints-at-exotic-origin-for-the-cold-spot
https://www.ras.org.uk/
https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.03814
https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.03814
https://futurism.com/mysterious-cold-spot-fingerprint-of-largest-structure-in-the-universe/

Reactions: Hero of Freedom

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I believe in the multiverse theory.

Reactions: Hero of Freedom

·
Spam-I-am
13,657 Posts
I am the multiverse
I have multiple children
Multiple personality’s
And am good at multitasking
Multiplication as well

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I wonder if a more plausible explanation would be that they're seeing local solar system data in their map. Rather than that the first nanosecond after the Big Bang contained an imprint of our solar system and that's what they're seeing.

Planck probe’s cosmic ‘baby picture’ revises universe’s vital statistics:
"
Efstathiou said the Planck data also pointed to some "strange features" in the cosmic microwave background that may point to new frontiers in physics, including an unexplained dip at one point of the power spectrum, and an unusual distribution of large-scale fluctuations that roughly followed the plane of the solar system.

"Why characteristics of the CMB should relate to our solar system is not understood. ... I was explicitly told not to say anything about God in this talk — which I've just violated," Efstathiou said half-jokingly.
"

Kind of weird way to orient the data. If you normalize the curved line they use to split the hemispheres then the 'cold spot' moves right to the middle. To the 'south pole' of the image.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
If possible we need to find a way to tear down barriers of our universe to another certain one and trigger a real life ‘conjunction of spheres’. Atleast enough to cover earth or suck us into that universe, would be awesome. What would that require?

It would make sense if there are other ‘solar systems’ or other countries, other planets and so forth that there would be other universes?

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If possible we need to find a way to tear down barriers of our universe to another certain one and trigger a real life ‘conjunction of spheres’. Atleast enough to cover earth or suck us into that universe, would be awesome. What would that require?

It would make sense if there are other ‘solar systems’ or other countries, other planets and so forth that there would be other universes?
Again, that would take way too much energy to do so and is close to impossible.

Before reading something on science, maybe you should study t beforehand, or at least apply basic logic too it.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Again, that would take way too much energy to do so and is close to impossible.

Before reading something on science, maybe you should study t beforehand, or at least apply basic logic too it.
Many things were considered ‘close to impossible’ before advancements so you probably would mean ‘with current technology and knowledge’? We don’t not exactly how it would work to create a hole that transports us or someone, only that it’s possible in some cases sometimes things ‘seep’ from one to another? Should it be ‘found’ to happen in people’s opinion then you could maybe find out how to replicate it on a bigger level.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many things were considered ‘close to impossible’ before advancements so you probably would mean ‘with current technology and knowledge’? We don’t not exactly how it would work to create a hole that transports us or someone, only that it’s possible in some cases sometimes things ‘seep’ from one to another? Should it be ‘found’ to happen in people’s opinion then you could maybe find out how to replicate it on a bigger level?
There you go again with your odder nonsense.

Whether you like it or not, the chances of us being able to build a portal into another dimension is quite slim and we would need a very large estimate of energy to do so. Where do you think this energy is going to come from? Our asses? You do know that physicists have already mentioned this before right?

But then again, you barely have the ability to understand basic logic, or to at least put something before you fragile feelings.

·
Registered
INTP
5,111 Posts
To be fair the premise of the whole thread is nonsense when the first couple of posts have people saying they 'believe' in the multiverse.

I think that the article in the OP, like most pop science articles, has greatly embellished the facts (that is if the author even understands the facts at all) in order to draw readers in.

The multiverse claim is but a tiny, ultra-theoretical suggestion tacked into a couple of sentence of the article. It's interesting, for sure, but I don't think any astrophysicists will be looking at this with much grand excitement.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
When I first heard of the multiverse theory, it sounded to me like an attempt at evading the anthropic principle. If the universe appears fine-tuned for life in myriad ways that would be improbable without a Designer, that strengthens the case for a Theistic God, yet if our universe is just one out of millions or billions of universes, then that case would be exponentially weakened. I don't think that's why Cal posted this thread but I do recognize that people have underlying reasons for finding certain theories plausible or dubious, including some subscribers to the multiverse theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts