Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, hard to comprehend that. I don't even know what to say other than it's not "good Christian behaviour".

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also, this is why we need a post-theistic society: so incidents like this don't have any ill effects.
Shame not everyone else has opened their eyes.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
The reason this might be such a touchy issue is because people worship their holy books as Gods.

·
Banned
557 Posts
"Jones, who runs the small, evangelical Christian church with an anti-Islam philosophy, says he has received more than 100 death threats and has started wearing a .40-caliber pistol strapped to his hip."

A evangelical pastor who owns a .40 cal pistol?! What kind of Christian is this guy? What Christ-like individual owns or for that matter, acquired one of those bad boys?

This sounds like an overly religious nutcase who needs serious a psychological evaluation. Does this guy even know how much damage he's going to cause by this burning?! Christians expedited the Crusades because of a big religous cause and look what they did! They killed many, many Muslims and Jews in cold blood as well as pillaged villages in "the name of God". Does this guy want to have something terrible to happen to everyone else just so he can get his religious kicks?! I cannot stop ranting about the idiocy of this guy! Let's just hire a mercenary and off this guy along with his followers so humanity won't do something outrageously stupid for... what time is this again?! #1501?

This guy needs to be dealt with swiftly and efficiently so that he doesn't spark something that makes 9/11 look like a day at the playground.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
When you have to censor your opponents, that means you cannot argue with them at face value. What a cowardly act.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I'm almost ready for a war. If only this damn country let me own a .44 Magnum!

On a more serious note, don't Muslims commit similar "blasphemous" actions to those which Christians hold dear?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did not the OP reference a "religious war"? I'm simply stating that, if it ever comes to that, and if this incident is in any way responsible, the Muslims started it.
The war we are involved in now could evolve into a holy war, is what I meant. "The Muslims started it" is a nice way to point a finger. There is a lot of background to this and surrounding stories that I'm not sure if I even want to get into it again.

This man is a religious bigot, like many of the religious people in America. He is notorious for slenderizing the Islam religion, saying it is the Devils religion. They believe that America is a Christian only country, when in fact the constitution promotes freedom of religion. Recently with Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin's "Rally", a lot of racist, extremist assholes have come out of their shell and shown their true colors. These people are the same people who believe Obama is the sole cause of our current economic downfall, ignoring the facts the of Bush Administration, and promoting hate across the land of the "free". These people are brainwashed, and it will be a serious problem in the coming years.

General Petraeus has warned this man several times since his announcement, that this would cause massive problems for our current troops in Afghanistan, claiming it would give extremists around the world leverage over the "American Image".

This man in Florida is making a very strong, rash decision in name of his religion, and not taking into account the repercussions. He thinks he is speaking for all of America, when in fact America is a "free" land, that welcomes all religions and points of view. This man is wiping his ass with America's face.

"If Muslims can build a Mosque near our Ground Zero, then I can burn their book!"

My analogy: If you have a scraped knee, you can pour salt on it. But it's not recommended.

I hope you all are ready for another revolution.

4:04

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just saw the ABC World News Now interview with this dude. I laughed when he said that while Jesus wouldn't burn the books, he is. And he's sticking to that. So, if there is anything to admire in this, it's that he is going to follow through with his constitutionally-supported actions, regardless of what the State Department says.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
The problem is not in misguided and deeply troubled preachers of hatred. Such wolves will always walk among the sheep to lead the hearts of the righteous into temptation.
The problem is with those who blindly follow them. Whatever happened to turning the other cheek and to not doing unto other what they would not want done unto themselves?
What happend to the greatest virtue of all, love? What happened to asking God to forgive our sins so that we may forgive our enemies in turn?

Can you tell I am not a Christian? Yet I do believe in the words of Christ.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The war we are involved in now could evolve into a holy war, is what I meant. "The Muslims started it" is a nice way to point a finger. There is a lot of background to this and surrounding stories that I'm not sure if I even want to get into it again.
If you go back to the origins of Islam, you'll see that Mohammed was responsible for beginning the Muslim tradition of "conquer and convert". It continued for many centuries and, one could argue, is happening today at a different level.

This man is a religious bigot, like many of the religious people in America. He is notorious for slenderizing the Islam religion, saying it is the Devils religion. They believe that America is a Christian only country, when in fact the constitution promotes freedom of religion. Recently with Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin's "Rally", a lot of racist, extremist assholes have come out of their shell and shown their true colors. These people are the same people who believe Obama is the sole cause of our current economic downfall, ignoring the facts the of Bush Administration, and promoting hate across the land of the "free". These people are brainwashed, and it will be a serious problem in the coming years.
cf. First Amendment.

General Petraeus has warned this man several times since his announcement, that this would cause massive problems for our current troops in Afghanistan, claiming it would give extremists around the world leverage over the "American Image".
So you are proposing Martial Law?

This man in Florida is making a very strong, rash decision in name of his religion, and not taking into account the repercussions. He thinks he is speaking for all of America, when in fact America is a "free" land, that welcomes all religions and points of view. This man is wiping his ass with America's face.
Yet he is not committing, as far as I can tell from what I've been informed of the situation, any crime. It is not illegal to burn books. It is not illegal to insult people - or even to call for their execution. It is not (yet) illegal to offend Muslims.

"If Muslims can build a Mosque near our Ground Zero, then I can burn their book!"

My analogy: If you have a scraped knee, you can pour salt on it. But it's not recommended.
Muslims are pouring the salt on the wound by building the Mosque at Ground Zero in the first place!

I hope you all are ready for another revolution.
I with I were but, unfortunately, this country of mine doesn't tolerate preparedness. Also, in Canada, his actions might just be illegal as well. However, as a Canadian, I can tell you that you definitely do not want America to take on these warped, freedomless Canadian ways where it is illegal to cause offense, or to insult the government via any form of telecommunications, and gun ownership is extremely rare and difficult; and especially not the British way, where it is possible to be arrested for spitting on the street (i.e. ASBO).
In America, the First Amendment is a supreme ordinance. Nothing can override it. In Canada, the second article of out so-called "Rights and Freedoms" gives us freedom of speech, whereas the first article states that the following articles can be overridden when need-be.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's a community center.

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
The last decade has been the fire that will start the reform of Islam. Christianity went through its own reformation in the 16th century. Muslims need to learn how to take criticism. Is it a contradiction to support freedom of religion (the "ground zero mosque") when it benefits Islam, and then protest freedom of speech (burning the quran) when it is used to provoke Islam? Why are they so special?

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I started to write up a paragraph or so, but I believe, as a Christian, this answers well enough for me:

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19-21)

If a Christian really views the Muslims as one's enemy, then this is the proper response. Burning a Koran seems more like incitement and spite than showing mercy and love.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I started to write up a paragraph or so, but I believe, as a Christian, this answers well enough for me:

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19-21)

If a Christian really views the Muslims as one's enemy, then this is the proper response. Burning a Koran seems more like incitement and spite than showing mercy and love.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "
-Mark Twain

1 - 20 of 45 Posts