Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the thing, we are N which makes us IDEALISTS. And more Optimistic.

While we are also HONEST, we don't want to be pessimistic about things that also know aren't very likely.

So, I don't know about you, but I often say the opposite of what is logically correct. I talk about possibilities and optimism despite it's not a likely out come.

It's not really lying, but we are honest I think most of us with this ENTP personality. That can make other personalities who don't understand this maybe think we are stupid.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well... Everything you say, even if you don't mean it, comes from an idea within. The root or source of that idea is a truth. That's why you even came up with what you said in the first place. So... Yeah. You can say something that you think or know and not mean it at the same time.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I personally feel that optimism is no less realistic than pessimism.
There are some pessimists who are so arrogant about having negative viewpoints. You know the type, they're right and the rest of the world is stupid for not seeing the truth.
But not everything sucks. Not everything is perfect, but assuming the worst gets you nowhere.
I've also found with college being hopeful about things has really helped. Like, I've been late on a few assignments, and rather than assuming the professor won't accept it I've talked to them about it and they're usually very understanding. I never expect this stuff to work out, but a lot of the time it does, so I still try.
Things work out for the better more often than people think.
I think your outlook in life can have a huge impact on it. Not just with things like that, where being hopeful gets you more opportunities, but with how you interpret stuff. My High School had a senior pancake breakfast once a year. We got out of class, ate pancakes, and talked with friends for two periods. It was great. So last year an underclassman asked me why that happened, and I explained "It's a senior privilege" and this grossly pessimistic guy says "Yeah, it's like the only one we have left."
So this is a person who gets out of class to eat pancakes with his friends, and it's still not good enough for him.
In many cases you just have to let yourself be happy.

I decided a while ago that my motto is "Plan for the worst, hope for the best."
Basically don't expect anything to go write and have a plan for what to do if what you're hoping for doesn't work out, but don't let it spoil your attitude or stop you from trying to get the best possible outcome.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
my personal motto is "head in the clouds, feet on the ground"
I think your ambitions and goals and ideas should always be idealistic and overly optimistic
it's how you go about achieving your goals that should be firmly set in practical, realistic expectations

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
my personal motto is "head in the clouds, feet on the ground"
I think your ambitions and goals and ideas should always be idealistic and overly optimistic
it's how you go about achieving your goals that should be firmly set in practical, realistic expectations
Is it copyrighted? I d like to take it :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Quite honestly, I love being optimistic. When I look into the future, life is full of possibilities. Yes, maybe the negatives are more probable but the positives could always happen. I wouldn't exactly call it "lying".

When I look at my present, I feel like I am absorbing the moments as they are happening and pulling all the good out of it. Often even the "bad" I see as not really "bad" but just a learning experience. I will say that enjoying the moment is much harder than an optimistic future. It's not that I am negative but I can be looking forward to much to notice what is happening now. I make a very conscious effort to pay attention to the now. I really see life, even the mundane stuff, as an adventure. I kind of embrace the Nerdist Podcast closing phrase "Enjoy your burrito" which means enjoy the now as it is happening.

I have a very pessimistic husband and it can make him not enjoy life as it is happening. Negativity also seems to compound on itself so it gets harder and harder to see the positive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts