Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
My friend sent me an article that argues pleasing others all the time could lead to feeling resentful and taken advantage of:

I agree that there should be a dividing line: If you're only getting calls from certain people when they need a loan or help moving, you're probably in the wrong company. However, the author seems to assume that people are either one way or another. Those I consider true friends might need a favor once in a while, but they also call every so often just to see how I'm doing.

I guess it all depends on who you know.

Do you agree that saying "yes" leads to your becoming a doormat?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
If we say yes without truly feeling like it or able to do it, or if we perceive that the other person is just interested in using us and being selfish, then yeah it'll probably lead to resentment. Otherwise I don't see why we can't lend some help.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
If you can help without hurting yourself or breaking your word to others, by all means, go ahead and help. But be aware of your needs. It is important to take the time to do the things that need doing and to avoid letting home chores stack up because you are busy helping others. Similarly, know when you need "me time" and don't let non-emergencies take advantage of that important function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.