Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Love

Votes: 69 64.5%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you were at a point where you could either become extremely successful, or have the girl/guy of your dreams. Which would you choose?

I'm kind of at a point where I see myself going down one of 2 paths. I have a drive to continue growing my business into something very big. But at the same time I can see how that would make a relationship suffer.

So my question is this:

Would you rather be extremely wealthy and successful (remember this will give you a lot of freedom to do whatever you want). But you end up with someone that you don't feel a deep connection to.

Or

Not be very successful, but find a soulmate that you connect with on many levels. You're relationship is awesome, but you have to deal with struggling to pay bills, lack of status, etc.

Which would you rather choose?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Well in theory you would like to balance these two things out so fit your lifestyle. But if I had to choose between one or the other, assuming that you cannot change your circumstance, it would be love and its not even close. Dealing with lack of money can be eased by living at a lower standard and not spending as much. It's not the end of the world to be poor. But being wealthy and having no deep connection is going to eat you up inside. Loneliness and isolation creeping into your head is going to win in the long run. Distraction from such feelings is one of the reasons people strive for wealth and success, not that there is anything wrong with that. But I would prefer love over wealth if I had to choose one. I want both though muahaha.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, I knew INTPs would try and game the system and want both ;)

Yeah it's weird because I'm having some good success with what I am doing (though nowhere near the point I want to be at), and it's weird because I am not finding it as reward as I thought I would. Maybe it's just a feeling that will pass once I have more time to do whatever I want, but I don't find it as rewarding as some of the best relationships I've been in.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Love is a rather vague notion, for me anyway.

Assuming it’s a constructive(not parasitic) happiness that emerges from a mutually beneficial relationship between two people who respect, and cooperate with, one another, then I’ll go with love. I suppose I may as well go with flying pigs whilst I’m at it.

Money isn’t of much use to me beyond the amount I require to buffer the unexpected troubles life tends to throw at us.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The woman I'll fall in love with will need to be very wealthy so I'll pick love :)

And in case it's necessary, I'll mention that I'm kidding. I still prefer love, but if I get wealth instead of love I won't be too upset.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I have a vague idea how to attain wealth as in monetary gain and stuff. Love seems to be a game of chance so yeah, I'll take the cheat codes.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
As I once said in another post, money may be one component of happiness if utilized properly. But I also said before that meaningful relationships do add to one's meaning in life. Not being a materialistic person, I see that money can only get you so far until it loses its meaning, so I guess I choose love.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I chose wealth. I made it this far without love. Attempted to seek this elusive thing called 'love'. Never did wound up finding it. If money only gets me so far, then so be it. I'm happy as I am already being alone. So alone it shall be.

If along comes a love brick flying by, whoever this 'love' mediator is, they have an awful sense of humor.

Cuz who in their right mind would want a broken Humpty Dumpty? Even the king failed to piece him back together.

- CQ (Cynical Q)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Depends. Is 'love' still doomed to follow common tendencies? Even if two people relate well on multiple levels, that does not ensure permanent success. Money on the other hand lasts as long as you want it to. If the love were permanent, I would pull that just because I know how to make money. I seem to be good at that. Otherwise if permanency cannot be ensured, I'll go enjoy my private island connected to an IXP with gigabit speeds and a smarthouse.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Despite what hollywood and hippies would lead you to believe, money can buy you love.
Money can get you anything in this world.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're serious...

btw your avatar is quite amusing, it moves to the exact rhythm of the song I'm listening to XD. Now I'm thinking that there must be a specific basic rhythm that most frequencies move along to hmm

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're serious...
I'm being entirely serious.
People do find love via dating sites, do they not? Those things you usually have to pay for.

In this day and age, you can buy love. Both temporary and lasting. The proposed question does not limit you from having both.

btw your avatar is quite amusing, it moves to the exact rhythm of the song I'm listening to XD. Now I'm thinking that there must be a specific basic rhythm that most frequencies move along to hmm
Yeah, no matter what song I listen to, he's always dancing to it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, if you ask me if I would like being homeless but with somebody I love or being rich with somebody I don't - the answer is- I would choose nothing of those. It's more complexed than it seems.
First of all, if I want to marry somebody, I would probably marry somebody who is intelligent enough to do any job and I would do something, so I'm sure we wouldn't live on the street. And even if I marry somebody who's rich, it's possible just if he's a great person, so personality is the most important.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm being entirely serious.
People do find love via dating sites, do they not? Those things you usually have to pay for.

In this day and age, you can buy love. Both temporary and lasting. The proposed question does not limit you from having both.
Interesting perspective. But doesn't money only bring forth means of communication, not the feeling of love itself?

Yeah, no matter what song I listen to, he's always dancing to it.
The synchronicity of it is simply amazing haha

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Interesting perspective. But doesn't money only bring forth means of communication, not the feeling of love itself?
It increases your chances of finding love through both as the means of communication and as something to attract a mate. Money is modern man's plumage. We don't have big feathers or bright colors to flash that can attract a mate. Instead, we have cars, clothing, jewelry, property, etc.

What's to stop the girl/guy of your dreams from running off with someone more successful? At least when you'll have your money to comfort you if you are abandoned by your love.
"She left me for another man, I should do something to win her back! Oh wait, I don't need to, I have money. I can just find an upgrade."

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It increases your chances of finding love through both as the means of communication and as something to attract a mate. Money is modern man's plumage. We don't have big feathers or bright colors to flash that can attract a mate. Instead, we have cars, clothing, jewelry, property, etc.

What's to stop the girl/guy of your dreams from running off with someone more successful? At least when you'll have your money to comfort you if you are abandoned by your love.
"She left me for another man, I should do something to win her back! Oh wait, I don't need to, I have money. I can just find an upgrade."
If the primary reason you attracted someone is because of money, then it wouldn't really be love. But then again, what is the definition of "real love"?

What ever happened to love being related to being attracted to personality and emotions and stuff? It seems as if people are too consumed by materialism.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts