Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a 4w5 9w1 5w6 and I was always wondering, why do Eights or wing Eights wear patterns, like camouflage for example, or scary tee-shirts (with a wild animal for example)?

I understand that it is to intimidate people or make them keep their distance and respect you but how do you manage to demand respect like this and not have people scared of you.

My intuition is that you are pretty independent people who rely on themselves and don't seek validation from the people that you "intimidate".

Am I completely off my rocker with my observation/theory?

Please give me your thoughts.

Thank you for listening.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think so; it seems more likely that people who feel weak hope to gain status from camouflage clothing. But since there are so few extraverts here, you will hardly find enough Eights who wear camouflage. I skip your T-shirts.

Of course there are the camouflage requirements of stealth camping, bushcraft, prepping and hunting, but civilians usually wear only one or two pieces of camouflage patterned clothing, like this fashionista, and you hardly need the Enneagram to explain that:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. It's weird, I can guess someone's Enneagram by the way they dress.

4s wear a lot of black
3s wear nice/fashionable/original clothes
2s wear a lot of beige or neon colours
1s wear white or black
8s wear a lot of camo/scary/dragon t-shirts
6s wear a lot of vivid colours
5s wear high quality coats and jackets that make them look competent
7s love blue
9s like to wear black and have long dark hair

Just my observations 😄😄

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,386 Posts
8 here. Don't relate to the clothes much (I had camo stuff when I was younger, but it doesn't fit my style anymore). I do like patterns, but mainly vertical stripes. No 'scary' things.

My intuition is that you are pretty independent people who rely on themselves and don't seek validation from the people that you "intimidate".
Correct. But I don't intentionally intimidate people. I think it's more of just the general awe/curiosity causing people to keep their distance (until I show them my fun sides).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a 4w5 9w1 5w6 and I was always wondering, why do Eights or wing Eights wear patterns, like camouflage for example, or scary tee-shirts (with a wild animal for example)?

I understand that it is to intimidate people or make them keep their distance and respect you but how do you manage to demand respect like this and not have people scared of you.

Thank you for listening.
you see, type 8's dont have an image focus... so there is no intention outside our preference when choosing clothes. i go for what i like, thats it.

the effect, sometimes people are intimidated either by clothes, posture, stance, voice, facial expression... etc... none of these are intended consciously... to us, its just the way we are. it is not 'to intimidate people'.

now, to the psychology of it... type 8's had to overcome fear at a young age, in doing so - keep fearful things close to them... what others 'fear' , we 'like'. maybe its so we 'wont be intimidated'. we became what we feared, in order to overcome the fear.... the monster! RAAAAH! XD

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,886 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you for listening.
You sure they aren't trying to blend in? 😋

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,857 Posts

You're projecting motivations through the filter of being an image type.

Consider a scenario where you have no concern about how others view you, not that you don't care or push it to one side, but that you pay no mind to it because it means absolutely nothing to you.

8s wear what they want to wear because they want to wear it, they're not considering what reaction you'll have to it. This is their approach to pretty much everything. 8s don't intimidate through image, they (can) intimidate because they're direct, forceful and confident of their stance but again the 8 would say; if you're intimidated, that's on you.

Fwiw, I used to wear camo a lot... when I was in the army. /w8

Reactions: nablur

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough. I'm saying patterns can be intimidating, just like tattoos can be scary (see rockers, rappers and sports people). Patterns tend to be uncomfortable to stare at.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,886 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you for listening.
FYI, you're not off your rocker. I am sure some people wear such things to add to their intimidation factor, but not all do. Some just like that look.

·
Premium Member
37,399 Posts
Actually I can never remember having seen any eights in patterns except maybe from on their uniforms. But I do get the impression they care about appreance.

Reactions: cocktaildress

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,857 Posts
Fair enough. I'm saying patterns can be intimidating, just like tattoos can be scary (see rockers, rappers and sports people). Patterns tend to be uncomfortable to stare at.
I understand. My partner is a 2 so very image orientated and tuned into the "what will people see/think mentality" so everything get's filtered through that when it comes to other people's motivations.

For me, I love tattoos and have plenty, based on what you've said (and comments from my partner) I'm sure some people would perceive my 'look' as aggressive or intimidating from a distance despite being a fuzzy 9, I just never think about that, never, it's neither an aim or something I seek to minimise, it's just not a consideration, this goes for my perceptions of others too. It requires a mind-frame shift to jump into or out of those perspectives. I'm not entirely sure if/how a heart type can go about shifting into that mindframe to see if from a gut types' perspective but not being other people orientated is where you have to start.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
ive learned that appearances are deceiving ... the more someone wants to look like some thing ... the more they are actually not that thing.

i get nervous around goody goodies and righteous folk

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,765 Posts
It can also depend on the age of the Type 8, and the environment in which you encounter them. In normal times, if I wear a shirt with a pattern on it to work, it's apt to be collared, long sleeved business-y type shirt, and with stripes. Preferably vertical stripes, because I suffer from the delusion that they make me look thinner. Lol.

Nowadays though, when everyone's in this 'telecommute most/all of the time because COVID' stuff, nobody has to give a fuck how they look unless they're going to be using their video camera in a conference call. lol.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not much of a pattern wearing person so your observations might be off. Typology isn't granular like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts