Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forums! ^^

So, reading through the descriptions of both introverted sensing/intuition, I'm still sort of mulling over how they're different. Though they seem to be really different, it's really hard for me to tell them apart.

Here's what I seem to see: both cognitive functions seem to use past information about things to help map out the future. While this appears to be the mainstay of Ni, it looks to me that Si, with its ability to draw on a vast bank of knowledge of the past, can most definitely do the same thing.

So to my question: is the act of reporting the weather more Si or Ni? To my knowledge, it acts by aggregating tons and tons of weather data to help predict whether or not it'll be sunny today, in the next few weeks, etc. To me, this feels like an ambiguous mix of both Si and Ni :p

Hopefully it'll help me learn about the distinction between the two functions. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
well weather reporting is done through launching these things called radiosondes that collect information from the atmosphere closest to us & then that information is used in models/equations to predict weather.
based on that, i'd label modern weather predicting as more si + te

in the past when the technology we have wasn't created, people would predict weather based on their past/personal experience- so that would point to si as well

si is using past data to compare to present situations while ni is finding deeper context in something to understand it and using intuition more than hard/past data

·
Registered
169 Posts
hm, I agree with @Zoquaro on this one.. I think it's hard to use such an analogy for this as we could say that meteorology is a science, so then ti.. and then the instruments used could be te..

I'll try to explain what I understand about the differences between how Si and Ni try to predict the future. It is true that they both use past information to help map out the future. However, what kind of past information they use is different.
Si pays attention to the details, the concrete evidence of what happened and uses this to predict what might happen.
Ni pays attention to what is the meaning behind what actually happened to predict the future.
I found an interesting analogy by mbtisenpai on tumblr:
Imagine a clothing store but more specifically, the way the clothing is designed to fit. Besides normal sizes like L, XL etc, Si would be specifically tailored to fit you, while Ni would be one size fits all.
Ni will see the general mold of events that are happening. It doesn't care much for detail and as long as most external stimuli match that of the concept, it uses it to predict an outcome.
Meanwhile, Si continuously compares the present to past experiences. It relates to the person's firsthand experiences and is personalized to the surroundings.
The tailored clothing would be better on a smaller scale because of the exactness. The one size fits all would be better on a large scale but it wouldn't be as precise.
This sounds nice in theory, doesn't it.. I'm getting a bit confused myself and I can't really think of any good real life examples..
Also, we must keep in mind that Si works with Ne, and that Ni works with Se and that can affect how they function.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well weather reporting is done through launching these things called radiosondes that collect information from the atmosphere closest to us & then that information is used in models/equations to predict weather.
based on that, i'd label modern weather predicting as more si + te

in the past when the technology we have wasn't created, people would predict weather based on their past/personal experience- so that would point to si as well

si is using past data to compare to present situations while ni is finding deeper context in something to understand it and using intuition more than hard/past data
See, that's the thing which leaves me sorta confuzzled :p

What exactly is meant by a deeper context to something? Say I observe a person lifting weights. With Si, would it not be correct to say that I can inference things about the situation, like his motivation to get stronger, possible use of steroids, a hint of tiredness, and a strong willpower? So what does Ni do instead in this situation? :/

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is an excellent question. I had trouble discerning the difference when looking for my type. I'd like to use ISTJ Warren Buffet as an example. Some people assume he's an intuitive because he can predict how a business will do, but it's not a hunch or a random idea he is following. He is using his Si and Te to learn all he can about economic trends, industries and any variables that might come up and make predictions that are based solely on that. For an ISTJ we follow Dr. Phil's words that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Ni seems to be about hunches not backed by empirical data. For an example, at this year's early voting I assumed I wouldn't have to wait in line to vote because I never had to wait before. An ENFJ thought I would have to wait. I'm assuming this was because of a mix of Fe and Ni. They could read the emotional atmosphere better than I and predict a possible future turnout. They were right. I've read that Ni is about noticing patterns that aren't obvious based on the empirical data and Si and Te use solely the information at hand. Honestly, Ni is still difficult for me to understand and explain, but I have a better grasp of what Si is now to contrast it with.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
See, that's the thing which leaves me sorta confuzzled :p

What exactly is meant by a deeper context to something? Say I observe a person lifting weights. With Si, would it not be correct to say that I can inference things about the situation, like his motivation to get stronger, possible use of steroids, a hint of tiredness, and a strong willpower? So what does Ni do instead in this situation? :/
Those examples wouldn't even get my Ni's socks off.

Here is a similar example with martial arts instead weight lifting. I can give some weight lifting ones though
One time when I use to be a door to door salesman ,thats a different story all together. I noticed a guy a few houses down on other side of the street. This guy was just walking taking stuff car or something. In the brief moment I noticed him I soon realized he studied Martial Arts, I knew he took Kung Fu, I knew the style of Kung Fu was Crane. And that he studied for at least 8 yrs. So I skipped a few houses and made my way towards him while he was still outside. As I got closer is when more of the "deeper context" came to be
We started talking and sure enough he studied Crane Style Kung Fu for about 8yrs. He was surprised that I was able to tell that he took Martial Arts, he was in shock that I knew he took Kung Fu and was blown away when I knew Crane style and about 8 yrs. I spent almost rest day talking to him and he was still in shock that I knew so much detail's about him and martial arts

As I mentioned recently, Ni notices all the details but doesn't focus on all the details then gives the users the deeper context behind something that isn't normally apparent

For INFJ's this usually involves people a lot due to Fe aux, we notice the little details that slips through the cracks allowing us a peek behind the curtain.

Reactions: Zoquaro

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@myjazz

Thanks for the reply! :D

I'm curious though...what went on in your head that made you make those leaps and bounds in inferences? The way he walked, talked, etc...? Looking at your profile pic, I can assume you have a great amount of knowledge of kung-fu already, so it's hard to say (at least for me) that this as an example of Ni in play.

I mean, to my mind, wouldn't a Si user be able to make those same inferences if they were equally knowledgeable in the ways of kung-fu? They have all these things to draw on after all, and observation occurs in all types :/

Also, what do you think about weather reporting? ^^

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh, here's an example I just thought of..
I was watching the X-Men Apocalypse movie and (I don't know if you've watched it, but I'll try to describe the scenes) and it is sort of near the climax. The bad guy has some people working for him. He is doing some dramatic stuff and whatnot (summoning earth around him, I think) and his minions are helping fight off the good guys. There was one of his minions who had just betrayed him (Magneto, he got convinced by someone to come back to being good) and another 'minion' is walking towards him. I immediately think that she is going to betray him and I blurt out "why are all his helpers betraying him all of a sudden?" Turns out it actually was Mystique, the shape shifter, who was pretending to be the minion and under that form, she tried to disarm him.
I guess this was an example of my Ni working; i could tell that she was going to go against him because of how she walked, it seemed like a reasonable plot twist in this period of the plot.. the timing felt right for something like this to happen.
Meanwhile, a Si user might've not thought so because previously she showed no signs of discontentment..?
I don't think this is too helpful but I'll just throw it out there :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
@myjazz

Thanks for the reply! :D

I'm curious though...what went on in your head that made you make those leaps and bounds in inferences? The way he walked, talked, etc...? Looking at your profile pic, I can assume you have a great amount of knowledge of kung-fu already, so it's hard to say (at least for me) that this as an example of Ni in play.

I mean, to my mind, wouldn't a Si user be able to make those same inferences if they were equally knowledgeable in the ways of kung-fu? They have all these things to draw on after all, and observation occurs in all types :/

Also, what do you think about weather reporting? ^^
Si wouldn't make the leaps and bounds like Ni would.

As far as what goes on in the head, I couldn't say indefinitely Ni doesn't work like that. Ni ignores all the detail's in the conscious way or does not focus on them. Ni takes in all the details and expand it and then toss out an iNtuitive insight

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Ne, because they're so often wrong...

:tongue:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it's Si and Te because there's a system in place to predict the weather based on what's happened in the past. Of course that is over simplified as you would have Ti involved too, etc.

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/98672-introverted-sensation-function-si-misconceptions.html

I can generally tell what the weather will be like around my area going from past experience without the need of a system. The more attention I pay the more I'd know.
That post really helped :D

No wonder I'm getting so mixed up between Si and Ni - they pretty much do the exact same thing but in a different way! :p

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
"Pretty much"

Si has preference over concrete and doesn't like to read between the lines but there are things that are evident overtime where we know so and so is like this because we can see 'this'.

Ni relies on learned patterns and principles but they intuit things from it, rather than having everything set like an Si user. By set I mean Si users get alerted when they know something is 'off'/'wrong'/different.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Pretty much"

Si has preference over concrete and doesn't like to read between the lines but there are things that are evident overtime where we know so and so is like this because we can see 'this'.

Ni relies on learned patterns and principles but they intuit things from it, rather than having everything set like an Si user. By set I mean Si users get alerted when they know something is 'off'/'wrong'/different.
That's the thing which confuses me XD

Weather reporting seems to me more than just a mixture of formulas and reading the climate - it looks at holistic trends and movements from what I know about it. That ought to make it partially Ni, but...surely both functions look at patterns? But I'd hesitate to say Ni is simply Si + extra insight 'cause that doesn't make sense :/

Just rambling on with my two cents :p

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Climates of certain areas. Normal boundaries.

Finding out functions involved with meteorology isn't a great way to understand differences in functions. Applying such a broad scope and then asking for specifics is like asking what functions are used for science. In each case there's reliance on emprical data. Research comes in many forms but what moves something from theory to scientific fact is repeated and replicated proven/measurable data.

While Si and Ni can arrive at the same conclusion about certain things, Ni pays specific attention to intent, meaning and symbolism (I'm simplifying) and they do this in an abstract way. Si takes particular note of their senses to gather concrete information - what they feel or what's in front of them.

As an Si user that pays particular attention to my senses, I can gather from past experience and how the air feels now (humidity and heat) to know when it's going to rain.

Obviously meteorologists are not going to stand about all over the world to predict weather in this way. They have to come up with scientific procedures that can be standardised and distributed.

Discussion of Si and Ni towards meteorology is pointless imo. Focusing on the basics would be better. You could compare an Se user to an Si user and ask them to find information about something - their approach to the task would be different but the result could be similar. If you want to differentiate functions, look at preferred approach, not result or ability. Everyone could work together to find suitable solutions and that's the case with meteorology.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Climates of certain areas. Normal boundaries.

Finding out functions involved with meteorology isn't a great way to understand differences in functions. Applying such a broad scope and then asking for specifics is like asking what functions are used for science.

While Si and Ni can arrive at the same conclusion about certain things, Ni pays specific attention to intent, meaning and symbols (I'm simplifying) and they do this in an abstract way. Si takes particular note of their senses to gather concrete information - what they feel or what's in front of them.

As an Si user that pays particular attention to my senses, I can gather from past experience and how the air feels now (humidity and heat) to know when it's going to rain.

Obviously meteorologists are not going to stand about all over the world to predict weather in this way. They have to come up with scientific procedures that can be standardised and distributed.

Discussion of Si and Ni towards meteorology is 'N/A' / pointless imo. Focusing on the basics would be better imo. You could compare an Se user to an Si user and ask them to find out info about something and while their approach to the task would be different, the result could be similar. If you want to differentiate between functions it's about approach, not result. Everyone could work together to find suitable solutions and that's the case with meteorology.
Darn. XD

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Reading the weather is Ni/Se.

Reporting it is Si, as you're just reciting information that was given to you.

Reactions: myjazz
1 - 20 of 41 Posts