Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting into web design, because I have to make a page and I want to learn anyways. It's going well, but I have some questions.

May this thread be used as general web design tips and tutorials thread if other members wish so.

You don't have to write me a guide yourself, just gimme links to good tutorials. I'm using Dreamweaver.

I found a wonderful page as a practical example of what I want to know
(Note: Again no, I won't use any of their material, I need to know the technical stuff)

The page:
http://www.natursamfunn.no/index.php

1. How to make background (stars) appear when I zoom out? Assuming it's not background?
If it is, do I then use stars as page background, then make table and set this as table background?

2. How to set this to be at the bottom, while the middle part gets longer depending on how much text there is?

I'm fairly sure I know how to make those menu buttons, but this... :shocked: If it's not Dreamweaver stuff, tell me anyway.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The page:
Natursamfunn.no - Forsiden

1. How to make background (stars) appear when I zoom out? Assuming it's not background?
If it is, do I then use stars as page background, then make table and set this as table background?
May I suggest using something like "Firebug" to inspect the HTML and CSS of the page? This will tell you that the background stars are part of an image and the URL of the image. Additionally, HTML tables are rarely used and for those that do use them there can be some berating that comes as there are more than a few tools to get around this.

2. How to set this to be at the bottom, while the middle part gets longer depending on how much text there is?
Again, consider looking at HTML and CSS to see what kind of layout options you have with these technologies. Perhaps creating a div with that background underneath would work as an option.
I'm fairly sure I know how to make those menu buttons, but this... :shocked: If it's not Dreamweaver stuff, tell me anyway.
Please consider learning the underlying technologies that aren't tool specific as while Dreamweaver may be nice for doing some work, if you get into ASP.Net stuff you may end up using Visual Studio while other programming languages that may be used for web development may bring in other tools that replace what you may see as an HTML editor at the moment as scripting languages may creep in if you start getting into AJAX and other things requiring programmatic skills.

As an aside, how many different browsers are you going to test this using: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari? Both mobile and desktop? Various screen resolutions or just a few standard ones?

·
Loon Princess
3,314 Posts
I'm getting into web design, because I have to make a page and I want to learn anyways. It's going well, but I have some questions.

May this thread be used as general web design tips and tutorials thread if other members wish so.

You don't have to write me a guide yourself, just gimme links to good tutorials. I'm using Dreamweaver.

I found a wonderful page as a practical example of what I want to know
(Note: Again no, I won't use any of their material, I need to know the technical stuff)

The page:
Natursamfunn.no - Forsiden
Well, first of all, this page is really badly built from a web designer's perspective. There's too much eyecandy on the outside for the person to be able to focus on the main point of the page, the text. The web designer did a really bad job controlling the elements of composition.

And the title page, which needs to be concise, spans 4-5 screens length. If I have any advice for you as a new web designer, it's to avoid these sins at all costs.

Second, get some HTML and CSS under your belt and learn how to use GIMP/Photoshop. I've known basic HTML at the age of 8 or so, it's not hard at all. CSS is just a notch above it.

Codecademy gives you great interactive tutorials for learning all kinds of languages.

In your case, their Web Fundamentals tutorial would benefit you the most.

Tables could conceivably be used to make a page such as this, but this page used the <div> command to merge parts of a page into a cohesive background. That's generally a more practical method.

You set the height and width of div on the footer to be the image height and width. As for the middle part, it's a repeating background. You just need to set the width.

This site uses div again for that... However, in this case, it's a very unusual system. The better one would be to use css and then:

ul li {
display: inline-block;
}

You could make it a text menu with a nice typeface and play with the style elements, all without needing to call an image from the server. Or if all else fails, you could make a background image.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, first of all, this page is really badly built from a web designer's perspective. There's too much eyecandy on the outside for the person to be able to focus on the main point of the page, the text. The web designer did a really bad job controlling the elements of composition.

And the title page, which needs to be concise, spans 4-5 screens length. If I have any advice for you as a new web designer, it's to avoid these sins at all costs.

Second, get some HTML and CSS under your belt and learn how to use GIMP/Photoshop. I've known basic HTML at the age of 8 or so, it's not hard at all. CSS is just a notch above it.

Codecademy gives you great interactive tutorials for learning all kinds of languages.

In your case, their Web Fundamentals tutorial would benefit you the most.

Tables could conceivably be used to make a page such as this, but this page used the <div> command to merge parts of a page into a cohesive background. That's generally a more practical method.

You set the height and width of div on the footer to be the image height and width. As for the middle part, it's a repeating background. You just need to set the width.

This site uses div again for that... However, in this case, it's a very unusual system. The better one would be to use css and then:

ul li {
display: inline-block;
}

You could make it a text menu with a nice typeface and play with the style elements, all without needing to call an image from the server. Or if all else fails, you could make a background image.
I am familiar with the needs of the marketing and what people want, depending on the interest group, but I have a soft spot for eyecandy pages and it all reaches out to me :blushed:

Web Fundamentals seems very promising, I will look into everything you suggested. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The web has been at the core of my career for nearly the past 20 years. I can't emphasize strongly enough how important it is to begin with a "less is more" approach to design. Build a strong understanding of basic concepts, and you'll nearly always outdo someone who tries to compensate for a lack of understanding of the basic concepts of user interface design with the latest bells and whistles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is great to read this discussion after several years. I'm thinking about changing my occupation and learning web design. I've already started and I practise creating sites (here free website builders from https://www.webbuildersguide.com/ come in handy). Thanks for sharing youe experience, guys, it is really helpful for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts