Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
That is interesting. I would like to add what you have said to my research. Do you have any sources or links? Sadly, I have noticed that attempting to build muscle in my lower body while jogging 30 minutes per day has not been as effective as weight training without the cardiovascular exercise — my muscles were neither as large nor as firm. Perhaps there is something else in the mix? Anything would help.

I would also have to agree that anyone NOT going for the strongman look or performance can do cardio! I should have been more clear.
How fast are jogging? If you want larger muscles in your lower body, I'd recommend more sprinting and less jogging. Or cycling with traffic. Trying to keep up with traffic will build up your legs. Take a look at sprinters legs and cyclists legs.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
For heavy lifting, what if you work out at home? I have weights but no benches etc.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
For heavy lifting, what if you work out at home? I have weights but no benches etc.
craigslist or used sporting equip stores have things like that pretty cheap.
when i lived in nc a guy sold me a bench and all the weights, everything, for 35 bucks. good shape, he just needed the old crap he didn't use out of his way. ^_^

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
Blarg. Still keeping at it, but my appetite has been getting increasingly out of control.

What l've noticed is that tricep presses have actually made my upper body look really bony o_O And my chest kind of concave, while my weight has stayed relatively the same and my lower body looks a little bit bigger.

Though l actually haven't been weighing myself don't own a scale out of pure laziness in ever buying one and the gym doesn't have one. l don't think l've actually lost weight but 'feel' like it.

Maye the ab crunches added to that a bit, l dunno. My shirts even fit weird now. ls there a realistic, general number l should be upping calories by or is that necessary?

l wouldn't freak out if l had to eat 2,500K daily.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Blarg. Still keeping at it, but my appetite has been getting increasingly out of control.

What l've noticed is that tricep presses have actually made my upper body look really bony o_O And my chest kind of concave, while my weight has stayed relatively the same and my lower body looks a little bit bigger.

Though l actually haven't been weighing myself don't own a scale out of pure laziness in ever buying one and the gym doesn't have one. l don't think l've actually lost weight but 'feel' like it.

Maye the ab crunches added to that a bit, l dunno. My shirts even fit weird now. ls there a realistic, general number l should be upping calories by or is that necessary?

l wouldn't freak out if l had to eat 2,500K daily.
I found I gained weight by weight lifting, but look the same size even though I eat a fair amount more. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so I actually weigh ~5kg more than before I started but wear the same clothes sizes and look more toned (my mum was impressed and said she might try it haha). It also helped a bunch with my joint problems! I tend to lift on days off from work (I do 8 hours with only a 30min break all on my feet so by the end of the day I'm too tired to weight lift properly).

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
I found I gained weight by weight lifting, but look the same size even though I eat a fair amount more. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so I actually weigh ~5kg more than before I started but wear the same clothes sizes and look more toned (my mum was impressed and said she might try it haha). It also helped a bunch with my joint problems! I tend to lift on days off from work (I do 8 hours with only a 30min break all on my feet so by the end of the day I'm too tired to weight lift properly).
Yeah, l am not great with estimating my weight at all.

l'm going to order a scale just to see what's up, and l guess buy shirts that don't hang off of me and new bras. lt was like my arms and chest turned into -bone- within three weeks but l'd bet my legs and thighs actually weigh more individually than they did before.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Yeah, l am not great with estimating my weight at all.

l'm going to order a scale just to see what's up, and l guess buy shirts that don't hang off of me and new bras. lt was like my arms and chest turned into -bone- within three weeks but l'd bet my legs and thighs actually weigh more individually than they did before.
I found I actually increased in cup size, but the body of the bra stayed the same. My shirts were sometimes too tight in the arms, but otherwise similar. I've had a boney chest for ages, but got more muscular there so it looks less bad now haha. It would be normal to weigh more generally if you put on muscle (it's why BMI is wrong with athletes, because they have loads of muscle not fat and so weigh a lot more than average folk).

·
Registered
421 Posts
I found I actually increased in cup size, but the body of the bra stayed the same. My shirts were sometimes too tight in the arms, but otherwise similar. I've had a boney chest for ages, but got more muscular there so it looks less bad now haha. It would be normal to weigh more generally if you put on muscle (it's why BMI is wrong with athletes, because they have loads of muscle not fat and so weigh a lot more than average folk).
I can relate.. my cup size has also increased. I was barely an A-cup when I started now I am getting close to a C-cup. :)

·
Meh.
8,026 Posts
I wish I had the guts to go and do weights by myself in the gym. I really should just get over myself and work out a routine. I stick to the pump classes now but that ultimately isn't going to get me where I want to go. It is great for toning but because of the high reps you can't really load up a whole lot.

One day.. I will have my home gym where I won't feel so awkward.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I seriously hope I can get a personal trainer. I'm on a benefit, so I can't really afford any extras, so I'm hoping if I offer to babysit someone's kids for free, they'll train me in return. A girl can dream...

If that doesn't work, I might just see if I can get someone to ''spot'' me. I'm sure we can find some useful stuff on the internet.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I wish I had the guts to go and do weights by myself in the gym. I really should just get over myself and work out a routine. I stick to the pump classes now but that ultimately isn't going to get me where I want to go. It is great for toning but because of the high reps you can't really load up a whole lot.

One day.. I will have my home gym where I won't feel so awkward.
Are you intimidated by people in the weight room? If so - don't be. When I started weight training 10 years ago I felt the same way, but it turns out everyone was very nice and supportive, and I got a lot of good advice from other members.

In my experience, most people are willing to help a bit too. I know I am. I really like seeing beginners in the gym and sometimes will offer help if they look like they need it.

Educating yourself and being prepared will help too - I studied videos of people doing certain exercises so I wouldn't make a fool out of myself (or get injured). Actually - I still do that.

If you have a smartphone, there's a great app called JeFit that I use to plan and track my workouts. It also has a huge database of videos of exercises.

This site was very helpful to me when I started out:

ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet

Also, this one:

The Less Thinking, More Doing Starter Program :: stumptuous.com

One more - this is a great resource:

Precision Nutrition » Blog

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I seriously hope I can get a personal trainer. I'm on a benefit, so I can't really afford any extras, so I'm hoping if I offer to babysit someone's kids for free, they'll train me in return. A girl can dream...

If that doesn't work, I might just see if I can get someone to ''spot'' me. I'm sure we can find some useful stuff on the internet.

Just saw a commercial for: DailyBurn — The best fitness anywhere.

Maybe try that? Or you can probably find something else online. It might not be the same as having a trainer in person, but maybe it can still work?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Just saw a commercial for: DailyBurn — The best fitness anywhere.

Maybe try that? Or you can probably find something else online. It might not be the same as having a trainer in person, but maybe it can still work?
Can I do it at the gym? The smartphone my parents got me for Christmas is pretty crappy. It barely passes as a smartphone lol. I guess I didn't realise how expensive they were when I requested one!

·
Meh.
8,026 Posts
Are you intimidated by people in the weight room? If so - don't be. When I started weight training 10 years ago I felt the same way, but it turns out everyone was very nice and supportive, and I got a lot of good advice from other members.

In my experience, most people are willing to help a bit too. I know I am. I really like seeing beginners in the gym and sometimes will offer help if they look like they need it.

Educating yourself and being prepared will help too - I studied videos of people doing certain exercises so I wouldn't make a fool out of myself (or get injured). Actually - I still do that.

If you have a smartphone, there's a great app called JeFit that I use to plan and track my workouts. It also has a huge database of videos of exercises.

This site was very helpful to me when I started out:

ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet

Also, this one:

The Less Thinking, More Doing Starter Program :: stumptuous.com

One more - this is a great resource:

Precision Nutrition » Blog

Thanks for the tips. Going to check out those links and that app.

I had a few sessions with a personal trainer last year who gave me a few good starter exercises (cable twists, lunges, shoulder presses. That sort of stuff) So maybe I'll go in on Sunday morning and give that a go..

·
Sunset Stripper
9,621 Posts
I have a question, my sibling weight lifts & they've been doing it for months now & in my eyes I don't think I've seen progress in them. They weight lift often & eat *relatively* healthy. Does weight lifting really help? Because they still have sort of a belly & not a athletic physique at all.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have a question, my sibling weight lifts & they've been doing it for months now & in my eyes I don't think I've seen progress in them. They weight lift often & eat *relatively* healthy. Does weight lifting really help? Because they still have sort of a belly & not a athletic physique at all.
Weight training can and does work, provided it is done properly and coupled with a good diet and night's rest. How much is your sibling lifting and how often? Does your sibling increase weights progressively? What does his or her diet look like? How many calories does your sibling consume per day? How much does your sibling weigh?

·
Sunset Stripper
9,621 Posts
Weight training can and does work, provided it is done properly and coupled with a good diet and night's rest. How much is your sibling lifting and how often? Does your sibling increase weights progressively? What does his or her diet look like? How many calories does your sibling consume per day? How much does your sibling weigh?
I think everyday or every other day, they lift heavy. I don't know if they do, I dont think so. They eat relatively healthy (within my moms salary that sometimes includes fast foods). I really couldnt say how many calories, maybe 1700-2000. 180-190 & 5'9.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Thanks for this. I would love a body like hers. I've had a lot of trouble getting in shape since I went on medications for my Bipolar. I'm obsessed with doing a lot of cardio, and I've heard that's the wrong approach. I should probably try what she's been doing. I don't want to spend 5 hours a day working out! (I do have a lot of weight to lose- like half my body mass)
You need to move the biggest muscles in the body, this means your back, ass and leg muscles.

If you want nice abbs, then invest in moving the above mentioned groups of muscles. Doing ab exercises and cardio does not really work no matter how counter intuitive the above mentioned seems atm. Big muscles such as those in your legs and back burn the most energy to function.

This is why lifting is effective. I do not recommend investing too much work into ab exercises as they get used enough in other ones, but don't leave them out either.

( I focused on the ab stuff because that is a common mistake people make due to crappy illogical advertisement.)

SQUATS are the most effective exercise anyone can do anywhere:

Speed is not the key to squats, focus on proper form and do it as slow as you can.

o.o with lifting one should always be careful with joints, joint pain is common for weight lifters, don't overdo it, the body requires rest as well as exercise (proper form is crucial) & a healthy varied diet+a positive mindset to one's own body (aka love your body and it will love you back XD)...:p even for squats.

For the back muscles you could try laying on your back, pulling your legs to your buttocks with knees bent, feet on the floor, then lifting your pelvis in the air. While the pelvis is up you are resting on your upper back/shoulders and feet, like so:

Both exercises work the buttocks muscles as well and are probably the best ways to lose weight.

After these get easy enough, you can add one legged squats and bridging for the back. For upper back...pullups (^^ yeah I know difficult, but you can start with something more simple like grabbing the door frame, leaning back and pulling yourself to it again), for the chest there is no better substitute for pushups.

Lifting basically does all these things and activates the above mentioned groups of muscles.

*_* cool find Prom!

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
And, this is how I and my left arm feel when I try to lift weights.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts