Personality Cafe banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
You need to move the biggest muscles in the body, this means your back, ass and leg muscles.

This is why lifting is effective. I do not recommend investing too much work into ab exercises as they get used enough in other ones, but don't leave them out either.

SQUATS are the most effective exercise anyone can do anywhere:

Speed is not the key to squats, focus on proper form and do it as slow as you can.
My wife & girls subscribe to a fitness couple's YouTube channel, some of the videos offer real good advice. Eating a healthy diet to fuel an active lifestyle is most important.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFortius/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

Good weight lifting form/technique will help prevent injury, yield measurable results within 4-6 weeks & that's going to sustain the motivation which leads to a healthy lifestyle change rather than exercising with weights for a month before quitting due to discouragement.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
i've decided to stop using the gloves and just let the calluses form on my hands.. just sick of the gloves. XD
fuckit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been lifting for about 2 years now, on and off.

I gained weight from meds, but now, due to diet and increasing my cardio, I am finally burning fat. But my legs wouldn't look great at size 14/16 without lifting.

I was planning on competing in powerlifting, but I can't squat parallel anymore due to an old fencing injury, and my bench is weak due to me not having a spotter (I don't trust myself without one, even with pegs.)

I can squat 230 non-parallel, and 190 parallel. DL? Around 200 for a 1-rep max. Bench? I don't bench, like I said. I do dumbbell exercises for my upper body instead. Safer that way.

I want to be able to squat 300 and DL 250 by the end of 2015, even if my squats aren't 100% parallel.

I also can leg press 6 plates, 7 on a good day, for 8 reps. But who cares- leg press is for losers, haha.

(Body weight currently 225, down from 265. Goal weight is around 160-170. I'm 5'3.)

Before lifting:
33754C60-D89A-4C63-B4CF-EFBCD82D4AD6-7321-00001EB542C296B9 (1).jpg

After lifting:
shoulders.jpg

I went from barely being able to curl 12.5 to using 30-35 lb dumbbells for my bicep curls, and I now generally use 20-25 lbs for my shoulder press and deltoid raises. This is after 2 years of lifting, with some time spent not being able to lift due to medical crap and hospitals not having proper gyms.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I've been lifting for about 2 years now, on and off.

I gained weight from meds, but now, due to diet and increasing my cardio, I am finally burning fat. But my legs wouldn't look great at size 14/16 without lifting.

I was planning on competing in powerlifting, but I can't squat parallel anymore due to an old fencing injury, and my bench is weak due to me not having a spotter (I don't trust myself without one, even with pegs.)

I can squat 230 non-parallel, and 190 parallel. DL? Around 200 for a 1-rep max. Bench? I don't bench, like I said. I do dumbbell exercises for my upper body instead. Safer that way.

I want to be able to squat 300 and DL 250 by the end of 2015, even if my squats aren't 100% parallel.

I also can leg press 6 plates, 7 on a good day, for 8 reps. But who cares- leg press is for losers, haha.

(Body weight currently 225, down from 265. Goal weight is around 160-170. I'm 5'3.)

Before lifting:
View attachment 242618

After lifting:
View attachment 242626

I went from barely being able to curl 12.5 to using 30-35 lb dumbbells for my bicep curls, and I now generally use 20-25 lbs for my shoulder press and deltoid raises. This is after 2 years of lifting, with some time spent not being able to lift due to medical crap and hospitals not having proper gyms.
The only issue with not going 100% parallel is that you'll be targeting your quads, rather than your gluts. That can look odd. :proud:

Also, I don't blame you for not going to your limits with bench press without a spotter. I'm a baby about things like that, but honestly, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I think the best thing to do is target free weights. Machines, for the most part, send people on the wrong track, I think, because many of the exercises with machines are unnatural and awkward.

·
Rogue Jungian
1,393 Posts
Has anyone done Stronglifts 5x5 for building muscle/overall weight loss? I did this routine in the summer, but stopped and I kind of wish I hadn't. I loved the structure of the routine, and I really did feel like I was getting stronger. This is probably something I'm going to get back into.

StrongLifts 5x5: A Simple Workout To Get Stronger

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I signed up for the gym soon after this thread started, because I realised I probably wasn't going to get to my goal without weights. That didn't work at first because I preferred to stay at home and eat pizza.

About six weeks ago, I got a personal trainer, and now we are working towards weights (he wants me to improve my form first). I have now lost 12cms off my body! :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The past year I lost about 30lbs and even though I've lost the weight I've come to realize that my body is just looking skinny fat as all heck. So I've been looking more into free weights, but I think my biggest problem with free weights and lifting is literally not understanding exactly what movements to do to get to where I want to be.

I see so many techniques or types of lifts and I'm such a beginner to the point where I'm like "gosh, what 1 or 2 exercises can I start off with JUST to start toning up quickly?". I look up exercising routines online and my eyes glaze over at the meal prep, post and pre workout shakes, the sets of particular exercises on one day.. and whatever else on another. It's just TOO much to take in all at once for someone who like... doesn't get why an olympic bar lifting is better than lifting dumbbells?

If I wasn't so broke I would get a trainer.

Other than eating a calorie surplus, consuming protein, and making sure to recover/rest... what basic 2 exercises and basic 2 equipments is really great to introduce a total flat out beginner to start lifting?

Is it just squat lifting and dead lifting?

Edit: Actually, never mind. I just took a look at that 5x5 routine that someone posted. This is exactly what I needed. Basic exercises that are simple to follow ;__; tears of joy, tears of joy.

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
My wilks score is 324.26. I just started a few months ago. My goal is to go 2,3,4 (bench, squat, dl)

Also, I don't blame you for not going to your limits with bench press without a spotter. I'm a baby about things like that, but honestly, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Okay, I know this was posted two years ago, but this is important for safety so I want anyone reading this to know this. If you think you might fail the rep or you are doing a set to failure on bench, don't put the clips on the ends, this way you can just lower the weight back to your chest, tip the bar to the side and slide the plates off the side and then lift the bar on that side and get up and out from under it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have a question, my sibling weight lifts & they've been doing it for months now & in my eyes i don't think i've seen progress in them. They weight lift often & eat *relatively* healthy. Does weight lifting really help? Because they still have sort of a belly & not a athletic physique at all.
lol.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Dang I don't even remember making this post. Quite stupid. Although a condescending "lol" gives me a run for my money.
I laughed when I read your post because I know people just like that who lift weights but eat crap food and don't look athletic. It's very strange!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Incorporating weights into my usual workout routines has changed my life. I started working out a couple years ago with the goal to lose weight and look better, and although I saw progress and results, it became more about how I felt after workouts. I always had more of an energy boost, stayed in a happier mood, and was overall more motivated and joyful :)

I didn't care so much about my weight or BMI anymore (as they aren't accurate indicators if you gained muscle mass) and strength became a goal. Initially I was afraid of 'bulking up' but it's difficult to gain enough muscles to look that heavy, and you feel great and feel more defined! :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Any suggestions for adding muscle near hip area using primarily dumbbells? I love my shoulders, but they are noticeably wider than my hips and I want to even out my physique.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
@bridmaga Before you even add any weight, I suggest a very simple exercise first. Standing up, you throw a side kick, as high as you can go, keep both legs straight, and then you do circles with the kicking leg, try to keep it high, both clockwise and counterclockwise until it burns all your glutes. Then you can add weights to the legs progressively.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts