Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm curious about why you hypothesize this.

I'm slightly underweight. In fact, my ISFP-ness is why I enjoyed dance so much, which is why I starved myself for years. Indirectly, you could argue that being ISFP made me eat LESS. (I know that's a big stretch haha)

·
Registered
96 Posts
There are major flaws in your method.
You can't know for sure any of us is ISFP.
You'll need more participants than this forum can offer for a research of this type.
You'll also need to take into account medical conditions.
Not to mention you'll have to give this test to every type.

Also, remember the marhmallow test.

Good luck. :]

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Over weight but thinner then most people my weight and height that I have seen or meet.

You developed this hypothesis after finding out Goku from Dragon ball Z is likely ISFP didn't you?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over weight but thinner then most people my weight and height that I have seen or meet.

You developed this hypothesis after finding out Goku from Dragon ball Z is likely ISFP didn't you?
Nope. (I don't even know Goku.) I figured Fi and Se, paired with introversion, would be common for binge eaters.

Introverts get more obsessive than extroverts.
Se = immediate senses.
Fi = feeling of unworthiness and emotional emptiness (which may cause a person to seek refuge in food.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am overweight by about 20-30 pounds, I have lost 60 already. I blame my grandma for force feeding me all the time when I was around 4 and giving me bad eating habits. Having a mother who never really comforted me and made me self conscious combined with a love of the taste of food, a binge eating habit that I thought was normal, and being an introvert who didn't get out much made me overweight my whole life. I now know better but the habit is ingrained in me. I fight it. I still love the taste of food and eat when I'm bored but I'm steadily losing the weight

·
Registered
417 Posts
BMI of 20. Last time I checked, at least.
Oh, but back when I was an athlete... :)
I'm thin, but I much dislike the small fluffy tire that appears after I slack with running.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nope. (I don't even know Goku.) I figured Fi and Se, paired with introversion, would be common for binge eaters.

Introverts get more obsessive than extroverts.
Se = immediate senses.
Fi = feeling of unworthiness and emotional emptiness (which may cause a person to seek refuge in food.)
That's more likely to lead to binge drinking/alcoholism than binge eating, it seems.
My BMI is 20.96, just checked yesterday.

I love food, but you can only do so much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was always really skinny but I did gain weight after my divorce. I took to eating too much fast food and lots of soda. I guess you could say I binged on soda. That caused me to gain about 60 pounds.

About five years ago, I said enough and went ultra hardcore healthy and lowered my carbohydrates and increased my healthy fats and started eating a lot of vegetables. The 60 pounds I'd gained came off and I'm back to the waist size I had when I was just out of high school and that's pretty cool give that I'm in my late 30s.
I just checked and it looks like my BMI is 19.0

I don't know if ISFPs are more prone to binge eating. But it seems to me that all the processed foods and chemical cocktails that masquerade as food seems to create responses in our bodies that make us crave the foods more and more. Bring in any emotion and stress and anybody is a prime candidate to binge.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know two isfp guys and one isfp girl. two guys are quite skinny and tall (one 6 foot, the other like 6'3) and chick is just average. Top heavy, though, if you want to know :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can eat as much as I want and I don't gain any weight. I'm 6'2" and in the 75th percentile for weight (doctor confirmed), which is surprising because I'm pretty skinny.

I'd never turn to binge eating, because I don't like too much food in general and I'm way too health conscious. I'd probably try to escape the situation (change whatever was bothering me), but if I'm tied down I might end up drinking a little. I don't have an addictive personality, though.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Keirsey actually called ESFPs the Bingers and ISFPs the Derelicts. Still ISFPs would be the second most likely to binge, I guess, in according to Keirsey groupings.

I think some ISFPs might have extra weight on them either because an aesthetic love of food or dining or cooking as a past time, like food and/or cooking as an art form; also possibly due to the ISFP need for comfort, they might often "decompress" from socializing or responsibility by doing things like snacking while watching movies or reading or listening to music alone.

Se types in general may assuage boredom or comfort themselves with things like food or alcohol, or whatever kind of sensory pleasures they can afford: that means Se types with the extra money and an aversion to food might instead "binge" on shoe shopping, for example.

I'm sure there are ISFPs who don't care for food as much, individuals can direct their Se in different ways, and I'm sure a lot of ISFP actresses aren't allowed to gain much weight, so what, are they all bulimic? Some might be, but I'd guess they would just focus their Se into spending excessively on clothing, cosmetics, alcohol, etc.

I was a slender child and am genetically large-chested so around puberty I started putting on some weight; the thing is that I have always been active so despite any love of eating I have, I tend to be firm and voluptuous rather than "fat." The only time I was truly ashamed of my weight actually had to do with medication affecting my metabolism, an anti-depressant called Lexapro.

I also won't take birth control pills. Anything that slows down my metabolism is bad because of my love of food, it's my natural revved up metabolism and love of activity that keeps me from being the stay-puff marshmallow woman, because lord knows it's nigh impossible for me to stay on a restrictive diet.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I know two isfp guys and one isfp girl. two guys are quite skinny and tall (one 6 foot, the other like 6'3) and chick is just average. Top heavy, though, if you want to know :p
How old are they, though? It's fairly easy for a lot of people to be skinny before their early 20s; most people don't start putting on weight until they get close to 25, some 30.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I was always really skinny but I did gain weight after my divorce. I took to eating too much fast food and lots of soda. I guess you could say I binged on soda. That caused me to gain about 60 pounds.

About five years ago, I said enough and went ultra hardcore healthy and lowered my carbohydrates and increased my healthy fats and started eating a lot of vegetables. The 60 pounds I'd gained came off and I'm back to the waist size I had when I was just out of high school and that's pretty cool give that I'm in my late 30s.
I just checked and it looks like my BMI is 19.0

I don't know if ISFPs are more prone to binge eating. But it seems to me that all the processed foods and chemical cocktails that masquerade as food seems to create responses in our bodies that make us crave the foods more and more. Bring in any emotion and stress and anybody is a prime candidate to binge.
Yes I read about a man who lost 30 pounds in a couple of months just by quitting drinking soda.

That's why I have sworn off high fructose corn syrup; a lot of the weight gain in the U.S. is due to the type of food eaten rather than a simple love of eating; French people culturally love eating, so do Italians and Argentines...but if you eat whole foods rather than a bunch of junk, it's easier to avoid obesity while still enjoying your food.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How old are they, though? It's fairly easy for a lot of people to be skinny before their early 20s
Oh yeah I know :p And they're both 20/21

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for upping this thread but omg this is so me. I love food way too much, and I can eat lots of it in one go. Food is on my mind quite a big part of the day. I eat when I´m bored or sad, which is pretty much a lot of the time, lol. I am trying to lose weight though. I´ve done some attempts this year which didn´t go so well, but I´ll try again in the new year.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am a healthy weight. But I do tend to have an 'emotional attachment' to food and prone to emotional eating.

I'm quite active though and eat a combination of healthy food + treats/snacks so I'm not overweight.

I do usually have a reasonable amount of control over my eating. Don't get me wrong I will indulge in things I really enjoy, but I usually stop before it becomes too excessive so I wouldn't call it binge eating.

I know a couple of INFJs who are more prone to what looks like 'binging'. (Inferior Se I guess).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts