Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum :) I hope these forums will continue to give me food for thought, as they have done so in my period as a lurker:p

Before I decided to join this community, I spent lots of time doing research on my personality type (past 8 months). While doing so I have been thinking a lot about my past and how I was as a child to aid in the self-analysis. Even though lots of it has started to fade, I still have a select few vivid memories of things I did and said as a kid. Also, lately I was speaking about it with my parents, who added some more interesting bits. Remembering and hearing these things put a smile on my face. I suppose it's because a lot of it fits very well with being an INFJ and it all kinda makes sense for me now.

I decided my first thread would be one for people to share their childhood memories, in which they recognize some things about their type and the cognitive functions. I'll start.

1. I was always terrible with following instructions. I remember my first field hockey training. I was like 5 back then and all the new kids at the club were invited to come and try out the game. The instructors would divide us into groups and explain us the excersize.
Excersize nr. 1: "Pick up the ball and un around two cones, then return."
Me when it was my turn: "Picking up the ball and hitting it as hard as I could in a random direction, making the instructors around me put the palms to their faces :D"

2. I was like 7 or 8, and we were playing a practice game against another team during training. The rivalry was pretty evident. At this point I had a pretty good idea what it meant to play a hockey match. Still, what I did when I got the ball: "Run across the field towards the goal, scoring. When I turned around some of my teammates were swearing at me. It turned out I had scored in my own goal!"

3. When I was in 1st class of elementary school, I was going through a 'dinosaur phase'. I was completely obsessed by dinosaurs, would even imitate them at school to try and scare the others kids. Yesterday, my parents told me that when it was my birthday, the first gift I got and opened up contained a big T-rex model. As a result I immediately switched from the real world into my personal fantasy world. I unwrapped the other presents because I had to and because my parents urged me to, but I only wanted to play with the T-rex model.

4. When I was laying on the couch, I would regularly turn around on my back to watch the cealing. I couldn't stop but wonder what life would be like, upside down. Walking on the cealing would be so awsome!

5. At a really young age, when my parents took me to a themepark, I could never handle all the new impressions and sensory information that went my way. Turned out I always ended up crying constantly and being completely exhausted at the end of it. I wanted to go everywhere and nowhere, all the time. It was just too much. The same happened on big birthday parties and during other periods of long exposure to crowds.

6. I was so 'not in the moment' when I was younger. For example, I had so much trouble with dressing up as a toddler. Shoes on the wrong side, jeans over my pyjama, shirt put on backwards... Thank god I had an ISFJ mom and ESFJ dad to help me bring structure in my life! Don't know what I would have done without my mom. She always had to put my clothes on my bed in the exact order they had to be put on. All in all, it resulted in me being very organized and structured in work and life nowadays. Still though, deep inside, I'm very chaotic. I hate it if I have to work in a messy or unstructured environment. Also, I'm still always one of the latest out of the dressing room in my hockey team and can have 1 or 2 brainfarts during a game where my mind wanders off...

7. Being clumsy as hell. Up untill I was like 14, I had a physical accident every single summer vacation. Broken arm, broken/bruised fingers, stitches in my head, falling out of trees while climbing. I have had it all. Even now, tripping over my own feet, running my toes against tables and chairs and knocking over my glass of water while trying to grab something, are still very common (Damn you inferior Se, damn you!).

8. I was bullied by two kids in elementary school, repeatedly. When finally, after a pretty long time of 'ignoring' and soaking up the misery, I had enough of it and I hit one of them straight on his nose in the middle of the schoolyard. After I had unleashed my frustration, the anger quickly went away and I actually started to feel bad for the boy. Even after he had bullied me for such a long time, I could'nt help but feel kinda bad for him that he had his face bloodied like that. Some of my friends still don't understand this and say I was a complete idiot :D

9. Genuinly feeling bad for my stuffed animals when they were FUBAR, and had to be thrown away. It was like they had died! My ISFP brother was even worse with this. He had a huge collection of them on his bed at all times and he really felt with them and gave them equal amounts of quality time. I mean, the horror of one of them being left out would be too much to bear. I never had it to such an extent, but still it felt like they were somewhat animate.

10. I had this scary knack for knowing when one of my pets was very ill, or about to die. I remember my family having multiple guinea pigs in our back yard. When I came home one day, I looked over their little enclosure and saw one of them laying quietly in the corner. For some reason, which was really hard to point down, I just knew there was something wrong. Was it the way of breathing? Was it their eyes? The position in which they layed down? I still cannot really tell. I had this twice. And twice, they died on that same day :(

That's it for now. What about you guys? I'm excited to read some of your examples and how you currently relate them to your type.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) I can so relate to some of your examples here.

1. For me, a lot of the time I would zone out in gym class or gymnastics. It wasn't intentional. This got me into trouble if I had to go first for things because then the teacher would be like "okay, go ahead." And I would just stand there with this look on my face like "durrrrr" So embarrasing. I got in trouble in gym class for that and in gymnastics I think my teacher just found it funny.

2. Similar experience. Was playing tag football in gym class and when I got the ball I ran in the wrong direction towards our goal. My team just thought it was funny/cute.

3. Lol, your dinosaur story was cute. I just remember playing power rangers a lot with my little brother. The swings were our vehicles and we'd go around fighting all the baddies. There was another game I played with my best friend (5th grade). Each toy/object had a different super power and we'd run around trying incapaciate each other with the different things. I loved that game so much.

4. I remember being fascinated/weirded out by the fact that whenever I rubbed my eye when it was closed - I could see it. I would always play with it and think "how can this be?!!!"

5. When I was little my mom took me to this birthday party for this girl that was more of an acquaintance. I envisioned this party being a lot smaller but there were tons of kids there and they were all running around in the backyard. Only kids I knew there just joined right in while I stood there awkwardly because I didn't know anyone else and I'm not just going to jump right in when there's people I don't know. Everyone just ignored me too so I just stayed out of the way. By the end of it (when we were inside to eat cake) one of the parents noticed I was kind of off by myself and asked me if I was okay - at which point I burst into tears lol so they asked me if I wanted my mom to come get me and I said yes.

6. I actually don't relate to this one as much because I was a neat freak as a child. Everything had it's place. One time these twins came over and they just ripped everything in my room out of place. I just stood there horrified. I went over to their house once and their room was a disaster. Small wonder. I was oblivious to things like when clothes didn't fit me any more though and some personal hygiene things.

7. lol! That's awful! Can't say I've ever broken anything. It's just more of the same - I'm more oblivious (or hyper sensitive) to my surroundings. It doesn't always translate as clumsy for me.

8. When I was in 2nd or 1st grade, there was this kid that would always travel around (at recess) to the different girls, grab them, get in their face and say "Kiss me baby!" lol I'd always push him off me. One time a 6th grade boy witnessed me pushing him down, thought it was the funniest thing and told me to do it again. So I did it again. Ugh, I felt horrible about it afterwards. Felt like I had become a bully. Another time I pushed a girl down. I can't remember the reason now. Possibly because someone else was encouraging it (wow, I'm so easily influenced). I got in trouble for that of course. I was a generally a goody two shoes kid though (in school) so it really upset me to realize what I was capable of and for the authority figures to see me as a bully.

9. Same as your brother. My stuffed animals took over my bed for a long time. People would ask me "where do you sleep?" I didn't have the heart to put any of them away but i eventually sucked it up and put most of them in the attic.

10. :( Our first family pet was a rabbit. Well the night before she died I had a dream that I was holding her against my chest and running with her down a dark alley. A dark presence was chasing her trying to get her and I was trying to protect her. The next morning we found her dead. Not sure how she died.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
1. My only pets when I was little were goldfish and box turtles. I kept getting bit by the turtles because they have terrible vision, so little fingers look like worms, and I insisted on holding them. But I'd forgive them every time and hold them again.

I made my poor mother have a funeral and bury every last fish. She was so exasperated that she couldn't just flush them down the toilet and be done. But I loved those silly little fishies.

2. When I was 4, my parents had a Star Wars marathon with another family that had a son my age. By the end, every last adult was bored by the movies and talking, but we were enraptured. After that I was obsessed with Star Wars. I used to find bits of shell and sea glass and make them into characters.

3. In general, I wasn't a fan of regular toys. I ignored my real toys and made up my own. My favorite was pink cloth that I sewed together on my toy sewing machine and stuffed with cotton balls. Due to my poor seeing, the stuffing would always fall out, but I'd put it back together and keep playing with it.

4. My favorite store bought toy was a stuffed koala from Disneyland. When I got home, I wrote a series of adventures thst explained how the koala got from Australia to me. I reread them recently and cracked up laughing. There were a lot of bad people and kidnappings involved.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I played so many 45s on our record player, that I was probably asking for a new needle every three months.
By the time I was seven, I'd likely claimed the lives of 20 of them, and had worn down 400 records doing so.
The music was wonderful, but I still have to believe that most of my early motivation for it (ages 2-5) was in watching the different colored record labels spin around. :rolleyes:

Bike rides were not just Point A to Point B journeys.
They were epic adventures that followed a specific, magical course down certain sidewalks, behind the grade school trail, over the shallow river by the mill, and ending with some enlightened treasure 20 minutes away.
Sometimes, I think I still do a lot of that on road trips. :laughing:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yay, this sounds fun. Let's all bask in our weirdness!

1. When I was about 7, I invented this game to play with my little sisters. We made a nest out of blankets, then the two of them wrapped themselves up in a sheet each. I would then proceed to sit on top of them to tweet and call out, "Hatch my little babies/birdies/pretties!" They'd break out of their "shells" while I cackled happily.

2. I was scared of fireworks for the longest time. I remember specifically hiding behind my baby sister's strolled during the 4th of July when I was anywhere between four and six.

3. I tried to collect boogers. In an old peanut butter jar. When I was 7-8. I gave up fairly quickly because it was taking way to much work for insignificant collection.

4. On a slightly less gross note, I used to be scared that there was a hand in the toilet that would grab me and pull me down if I didn't hurry up. Subsequently, I used the rest room quickly, without sitting completely on the seat, and promptly running out of the bathroom the second I flushed and washed my hands in the kitchen. I hate to admit it but I was once again about 7-8

5. I dreamed of biologically turning into a Vulcan when I was 11

6. Obsessions. I would (and still) go into periods of obsessions. When I was 10 I was convinced I had to wash my hands after I touched anything and was certain I was crazy or going crazy. A couple months later I cured the compulsion by refusing to wash my hands to even rational reasons to prove to myself I wouldn't die. At 11, was obsessed with Star Trek even though I was introduced to it years before. At 12, I read everything having to do with Roman culture and the first five Julio-Claudian Emperors thanks to I, Claudius; I'd read everything I could possibly find for hours on the internet. At 13, Doctor Who...etc.

7. When I was 3, I was lying down on this mat and decided to stare at the lights above me. No original reason, just did. I later was fascinated by the bright blue and yellow spots it left and kept doing it over and over for 30 minutes. Who knows, maybe that's partially the reason I where glasses now, besides astigmatism.

8. Would name things I really liked or felt sorry for and still do. My bear I was given as a baby, Teddy (original, huh?). Later on, my new baseball bat? Gladys. That lonely and forgotten pretzel on the ground that no one's bothered to pickup? Bob.

9. For some reason I'd be a nonstop motormouth but become completely silent around strangers. I grew out of this, now I just talk a lot with family and friends and am quiet around strangers

10. Me and my sisters would count all the mosquito and ant bites we got after coming inside. It was a contest. We'd get a very strong sense of pride if we beat one another. 23 mosquito bites beats 20, whoop whoop!

11. Last and probably weirdest of them all, I tried to tinkle standing up. I figured if boys did it, why didn't I? I did this for several weeks and was actually very successful. I realized then as fantastic and easy of an achievement it was for me, it wasn't one I could share so stopped doing it that way

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Haha awsome guys! :D I could see myself do more than one of the examples that were mentioned. Obsessed with Star Wars after a Star Wars marathon? Hell yes! I've always been like that with movies. If I watch a movie with a certain theme, and I like it... then I'm a big fan of that particular theme and want to read up about it all day long. Recent example: Interstellar :)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I was obsessed with both Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz, and my mom made me an Alice dress and a Dorothy dress, which I wore almost every day at different points, and I made people call me either Alice or Dorothy, depending on the phase. When I started kindergarten, I begged my mom to register me as Dorothy, and I didnt understand why she wouldnt let me.
I was always obsessed with names, and I always wanted a different name, and never appreciated my own.....

I was so weird when I was little, I dont have time to even scratch the surface, so I'll leave it at that........

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cried because I accidentally killed a cute bug.
My teacher said that you can't breath underwater through your mouth. Well, I tried if you could breath through your nose...
I skipped a school day because I didn't study to a word test.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I remember staring at the ceiling imagining upside down worlds, too! And it was that lumpy kind of ceiling so it had lots of strange hills...

1. My mom told me this story: once my brother and I were fighting very hard over this one airplane toy. Finally I handed it over to him, looked him in the eye and said, "Hear, you need this more than I do." I was two.

2. I once wanted to stay home from school because I was so embarrassed I hadn't done my homework one day. Like, had to be dragged in crying and had a talk with the teacher about it. She said she wasn't upset with me but I didn't believe her. XD

3. My brother and I would gather all sorts of sticks from the hill behind our house and play at slaying goblins or something with them. We had some that were just plain ol' wizard staffs, but we had plenty that were swords and hammers and laser guns, too. I think we even tried sharpening the edges of the sword ones (didn't work too well.) The swing on the swingset were also dragons we rode from battle to battle.

4. In preschool I wouldn't talk. I don't really recall the reason why; I just remember staring at the inside of a tire (they had those monster truck tires lying around on the playground for us) and suddenly starting talking. I was so amazed I actually could talk....but my mom says I was a perfect little chatterbox at home (like I had been holding it all in) and I don't remember any of that, so...<shrug>

5. I used to rough-house a lot in 2nd and 3rd grade. Looking back on it, I wonder if I was unintentionally being a bully, but at the time, it was just so fun to chase and wrestle and play-act at being angry at each other that it never even passed through my head. There were these three boys who I and another girlfriend often "picked on". After a particularly good chase, they'd go and sit by the recess supervisors and make faces at us when the adults weren't looking. Man that made me so mad. XD And if the supervisors caught us stalking those boys they'd scold us...it became a game trying to get around them, too. Later in 4th grade, though, I would tangle with people who really would get upset about the wrestling--one encounter resulted in a pink slip and calls home--soooooo that kinda went by the wayside.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
I used to chase goats around at my aunt's when I was young, because they'd never let me pet them :frustrating:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use to spin the tire swing super tight and then let the thing spin out of control as I sat in the middle, watching the world go by me in a blur. I wish I could do that again.

My dad took me to an arcade once. We played some Jurassic park shooter that I was beating him at and for some reason it drew attention from some of the other people there. I guess it was my enthusiasm as a frilly-dressed little girl standing on her seat and screaming as she shot down dinosaurs.

I use to sit on my carpet stairs with my legs super straight and together, then I was slide all the way down, lol. Sometimes I'd use a couch cushion or this oversized unicorn doll I had.

I was the pro at hide and seek in my house. Because I was the smallest, I would pile clothing on top of me on top of a bed, to make it look like laundry had just been dumped on the bed. Or I would lay underneath the pillows on my parents beds (to be fair, my mom did have lots of pillows on her bed, but still...) and also in between couch cushions.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put myself in the corner when I did something wrong. I guess I figured I'd rather go ahead & punish myself rather than let my parents do it. My mom would find me & ask what I'd done, then she'd be like, ok then. Lol

I sold kisses outside of the post office in small town. I'd rack up, too.

I enjoyed talking king to adults far more than other children. People thought I acted & spoke more like an adult.

We lived out in the country & I'd use nature to fuel my vivid imagination. I'd pretend gnome families lived under the big rocks in the gravel road. I named one sandy turnrow "The Sands Of Time" & thought it was magical. Etc.

I kicked a bully in the balls for making a friend cry at a party. I had quite a few incidents like that, always on behalf of a slighted bullied victim.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Plenty of strange stuff.

1. When I was about 8 years old there was a couple in our neighbourhood who was mute. I wasn't convinced. Next thing I know is having nightmares about them speaking and getting so scared but my family laughing when I told them about the nightmares. For more than 2 months, I almost followed them to catch them 'in the act'.

2. When my pencils turned too short to hold, rather than throwing them away, I buried them. I did the same thing to pieces of crayons.

3. I used to play Star Wars inside a big cardboard box with my best friends who were twins. They were Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker while I played everybody else.

4. I didn't like to play with ordinary dolls and other toys. I pretended, and made my toys out of stuff for an example, I had an entire family of "dolls" who were old perfume bottles.

5. When I played with dolls, I was an outsider. I didn't play with them rather made them play. All of them had a first name, a middle name and a surname. They had families, relations, friends and enemies.

6. I was a famous story teller among my peers. I used to tell stories when we had free periods in school. They thought I told stories from books but I just made them up. Most the time I changed the plot looking at their reactions.

7. I was scared of the beach because I thought at some point the waves at the beach will not return to the ocean but will flood us all. Until my best friend (INTJ) taught me why waves always go back to the ocean. Amazing theory! I was 7 and he was 9. We also did sky mapping. We did star charts in shapes of food. We actually drew them :D when I look at the sky even now, I can remember them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. My only pets when I was little were goldfish and box turtles. I kept getting bit by the turtles because they have terrible vision, so little fingers look like worms, and I insisted on holding them. But I'd forgive them every time and hold them again.
Your first 3 memories are so similar to my ones. Weird! :)

Reactions: Windblownhair
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.