Personality Cafe banner

Weird behaviour in INTP

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Inevitable 
#1 ·
Tests say I'm an INTP. But I'm not really sure as I act differently with different people. When I'm with my friends I say random stuff (usually non-sense trying to get a laugh from them) and THEN think about it (Ne-Ti?) behaving kinda like an ENTP. When I'm with other people (whom I barely know) I tend to be the cool, silent guy and then act according to: If they seem serious, I rather not act stupid in front of them. If they seem fun-loving or something, I goof around and we laugh like we've known each other forever.
Also, INTP are seen as the logical kind of guy. But I read the description of INFP's and I act more like them when I'm with my crush/in love. I believe logic and love are two things not to be mixed, as this causes problems. Ex: My mom is an INFP and my dad an INTJ (probably) and their relationship sucked. When my mom was pregnant, my dad thought that the baby "wasn't his". If you know what I mean.
I took the Five Temperaments test and I scored Phlegmatic (not Supine) and Sanguine. And it's weird because INTP's are so different from Sanguines in many ways. Read somewhere that NT's are Choleric but I'd rather say: "Meh, life goes on." instead of getting angry for something like arguing. (In fact, looking cool is what drives people to "your" side of the discussion, as you seem to have everything under control, or even showing off a smile every time you "stab" your opponent with the right phrase). Arguing is...whatever. I feel "whatever" about most aspects in my life. I find it the same to go out with friends or stay at home. I lack of motivation and rather stay in my bed daydreaming than going out and doing something. I believe this is Phlegmatic behaviour. I don't seek out people (unless I'm awfully bored or I wanna listen to the opinion of them). I have to admit it's really cool to have a philosophical chat with somebody, because I can share conclusions I made from my never-ending hours of Ti, and I am always open to new ideas from other people. (It's more fun listening to somebody speak about an idea than reading an idea in a book).
Well, if you read it all, including the unnecessary commas which I include because it's actually the way I talk when I wanna sound serious (failed attempts of course as I start laughing randomly of my own thoughts): What am I? :confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
To me, personally, it's really not that interesting to see how one's personality conforms to some MBTI description, it should really be more about how MBTI "ideas" conform to your personality. A lot of the things they say aren't set in stone, they are predictions based on the behavior of each cognitive function in the functional stack. Understand those individually and see how they interact, and then you'll come to a more accurate understanding of why you are the way you are.

#4 ·
jeremusic2 said it.
Just look at the different types and see what fits you.

I look at the MBTI as merely sets of patterns that explain what you would get if you mind worked those ways exclusively, but real people fluctuate more based on 1) their biology 2) internal interests 3) their outside influences, etc. Your mind works a specific way, and it can't really be "typed". It's unique. Now, it will gear you towards certain mentalities, but chances are, you won't be the extreme. You'll probably be described by a mix of certain types. Associating with a group of similar people, however, may help you find common ground and friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.