Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As all introverts and most INTPs, I have a few odd and a bit funny obsessions.

I have a difficulty doing something I love, as a job. Mainly due to the crisis, most areas and fields of occupation, that I like/enjoy, in my country, have gone under the waves. So that has left me with very limited options.

During last summer, I had to find a job to get some money in my island.

So I got a work at a store with gift stuff and traditional products, stores like that tend to have a lot of money due to so many tourists buying stuff from them.

So, as you can guess, jobs that require customer service and frequent social interractions are a nightmare for my hardcore introvert self. But I had to do it because it's something you have to do when you need money. I had to suffer...:frustrating: lol

So one day, after hours upon endless hours of heat, a boss that annoyed the [email protected] out of me for no apparent reason other than the fact that he was my boss and constantly inside the store (why couldn't he just leave??), he suddenly received a supply of new products that needed price tags to be placed on their packages..so my boss gave me a machine I had never used before..the pricing labeller gun......and I fell in love...

Yeah..just like that..a love was created lmao. The minute I got that thing in my hand and learned how to use it, I got OBSESSED :shocked: To this day I still remember it with nostalgia and always think that if I could find an average job that would have me work 8 hours to mostly use that machine and simply put price tags on packages..I wouldn't mind that at all..I could compromise with that job and even learn to enjoy it xD No human interraction, quiet environment, specific chores (hate when I am hired somewhere for something specific and they end up telling you to do a bunch of other chores that are irrelevant to what they hired you to do), and most importantly..8 hours with my little pricing labeller gun :proud: lol

A couple other obsessions I have are:

My electric toothbrush..I love it. It's so awesome and funny, especially the sound it makes. I could tap it and hear the buzzling sound for hours just for fun.

Boxes. Nicely themed or vintage old style storing wooden boxes. Obsessively love them. People stare at me when I ask wooden boxes as a gift..

Pencils. Love collecting pencils. I rarely like writing on paper because I think way too fast and write too fast so my handwriting is gibberish like and sloppy. And due to my speed at writing, I also get physically tired of it very soon but when I write with a pencil things seem way too easier and more..competent I think.

Do you have any odd INTP obsessions that seem funny or just downright psychotic? xD

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As all introverts and most INTPs, I have a few odd and a bit funny obsessions.

I have a difficulty doing something I love, as a job. Mainly due to the crisis, most areas and fields of occupation, that I like/enjoy, in my country, have gone under the waves. So that has left me with very limited options.

During last summer, I had to find a job to get some money in my island.

So I got a work at a store with gift stuff and traditional products, stores like that tend to have a lot of money due to so many tourists buying stuff from them.

So, as you can guess, jobs that require customer service and frequent social interractions are a nightmare for my hardcore introvert self. But I had to do it because it's something you have to do when you need money. I had to suffer...:frustrating: lol

So one day, after hours upon endless hours of heat, a boss that annoyed the [email protected] out of me for no apparent reason other than the fact that he was my boss and constantly inside the store (why couldn't he just leave??), he suddenly received a supply of new products that needed price tags to be placed on their packages..so my boss gave me a machine I had never used before..the pricing labeller gun......and I fell in love...

Yeah..just like that..a love was created lmao. The minute I got that thing in my hand and learned how to use it, I got OBSESSED :shocked: To this day I still remember it with nostalgia and always think that if I could find an average job that would have me work 8 hours to mostly use that machine and simply put price tags on packages..I wouldn't mind that at all..I could compromise with that job and even learn to enjoy it xD No human interraction, quiet environment, specific chores (hate when I am hired somewhere for something specific and they end up telling you to do a bunch of other chores that are irrelevant to what they hired you to do), and most importantly..8 hours with my little pricing labeller gun :proud: lol

A couple other obsessions I have are:

My electric toothbrush..I love it. It's so awesome and funny, especially the sound it makes. I could tap it and hear the buzzling sound for hours just for fun.

Boxes. Nicely themed or vintage old style storing wooden boxes. Obsessively love them. People stare at me when I ask wooden boxes as a gift..

Pencils. Love collecting pencils. I rarely like writing on paper because I think way too fast and write too fast so my handwriting is gibberish like and sloppy. And due to my speed at writing, I also get physically tired of it very soon but when I write with a pencil things seem way too easier and more..competent I think.

Do you have any odd INTP obsessions that seem funny or just downright psychotic? xD
One thing that I really like doing at my part time job is helping to make the spiral binding for books. Even though it can be frustrating sometimes get the spiral part aligned properly through the holes it's oddly satisfying to get it all done at the end, lol.

And in the past I just have had way too many obsessions about either psychology, historical events, or random video games that I never even play but just love to look at and think about instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I currently freelance in three different fields. Basically, I'm self-employed, which means I create my own schedule, decide how much and what kind of work I want to do, and don't have a boss checking up on me - only clients that expect me to hand a completed project to them within a reasonable amount of time. My fields are:

1. Pet-sitting and dog-walking
2. Movie reviewer
3. IT support

Dog-walking allows me to experience different work environments each day, and I don't have to put any mental effort into it, which frees me up to think about other things (and even do mobile work) while walking. I've listened to audiobooks and talk radio, written movie reviews and stories, answered email, putzed around on Facebook, or researched things online while walking dogs. I know all the walking routes by memory, know where the curbs are, and can avoid other people/dogs even while using my phone to do all of the above. Just FYI - I walk one dog at a time, not a huge pack like some do.

As a movie reviewer, I get paid to go to studios and screenings to watch movies and then critique them. I live in L.A., so Hollywood is very accessible.

My IT work is basically, here's a project, work on it from home, hand it over when it's completed. I'm technically a part-time employee at a small company and do a lot of their tech/graphic design work. But we don't have an office, so all of my work is done on my own time, with no one else around. Even though I'm salaried, they treat me like a freelancer.

Another job I used to do that's unusual is that of a pyrotechnician. Used to design indoor and outdoor pyro, rig it up, and shoot it off during performances. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I worked for Apple at one of their stores as a Genius and a Trainer. Both were better than doing sales. Genius was fun (except for dealing with upset customers) because I had to solve problems all day, and take computers apart. Trainer was fun because I was basically a private tutor/teacher all day and could sit down while I helped people learn the technology.

Weird things I'm into - puppetry. I was a puppeteer for like 25 years (started as a kid), and worked for the Jim Henson Company out here in Hollywood. I was just an intern for them though - didn't get to operate any puppets (except for the ones in their Creature Shop which was located on their studio lot at the time), but did get to work with them. I also love theater and have done a lot of behind-the-scenes production work.

Huge fan of Charlie Chaplin and the older eras of comedy.

I love having walls of bookshelves, and would own a library if I could. However, I don't like reading books - just looking at them and thinking about all of the potential knowledge I possess.

I feel for you when you talk about crappy bosses and work that's boring. I've done retail and office jobs. Both really sucked. I hate bosses keeping tabs on me, hate having to interact with a lot of people, and I hate the mundane nature of office work. I can't take being at a desk all day and being expected to be there between certain hours every day just because that's how it's done.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad you are able to be a freelancer. Always try to find freelancing jobs but I have a hard time finding an adequate one where I live. I currently work at the field I studied for, not one I really like but it's something I have to do to earn my living anyways and I definitely prefer it from customer service jobs or summer time jobs.

I actually have lots of obsessions with several things. Those I mentioned were just a few.

I am obsessed with the color blue for example. My top favorite but it goes beyond that. Once I see something blue I zoom in on it and get stuck like a robot,staring at it. Like if I see a drink bottle that is blue and a drink bottle that is of a neutral color, I will want to buy the blue one just because of its color, even if I don't really like the drink..lol. And don't get me started or art stuff with the color blue prevailing in them...xD

·
Registered
599 Posts
I own many, many, many ,.. many screwdrivers :shocked:. I don't have a problem:sad:. I can stop any time I want :confused:. You have a problem because you don't have the right screwdriver :tongue:.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Screw drivers, you say?

So... have the ER technicians seen you yet?
"Screw drivers, screwdrivers ..hic ... bloody, hic.. pedantic INTPs, hic.. " points his PB Swiss phillips #3 at the open container of OJ "Ya gona, hic .. finish that???"

Reactions: Sava Saevus
1 - 12 of 12 Posts