Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a problem that I know myself is a little weird.

Basically, I feel REALLY awkward whenever I have to introduce someone to someone else. Especially like say, a family member to a group of my close friends. Or a friend to my family. Or one friend to another (but not so much this).

I'm not sure what the reason is. I think because maybe:

1. I usually feel pretty socially awkward myself, so having to try and be the one who makes everything less awkward for the new person is hard for me :eek:

2. For some reason, it makes me feel like there's loads of attention on me. And I usually hate to be the centre of attention. Just because usually in those situations, people will talk about me as like a common topic of conversation. And then I get all like blaaa and I want to run away. Lol.

3. I'm just bad at making small talk and stuff in general and this is a time when small talk is good. Basically I lack Fe.

4. I get stupid paranoias that one person will bring up a topic of conversation that I don't usually talk about with the other. Like, there's things I'll talk about with my friends but not my family, and vice versa. Its just cos I'm really private and selective about what I tell people.

Sooo - I realise I probably this is just a weird problem unique to me. But I just wondered if any other ISFPs experienced this kind of problem?

And any advice? (Cos I need to be in this situation soon)

Thank you :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
For the introduction, remember that the two people meeting are focused on each other and not you very much. People in general are more concerned about themselves and how they look in situations - think about it. While you're busy worrying about looking socially awkward, do you pay super attention to the little things other people do? As long as you aren't super weird, people won't care about the little things, anyway.

I think I used to have borderline social anxiety, so I learned to remind myself those things every once in a while. Now it comes naturally and I don't really think about it, which is much much much better than when I had anxiety.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
For the introduction, remember that the two people meeting are focused on each other and not you very much.
This is a good point, and so to capitalize on it, you need to think beforehand something that you could say that will draw the two together, such as, "This is so-and-so, and he also likes motorcycles, and has a 30yr old Harley" or somesuch, so as to draw yourself out of the conversation, and them in. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was introducing two people once and then they laughed and made fun of me right after for acting like it was a movie. I thought I was acting pretty normal though...Guess not :/
Haha.

Well I *think it went ok. I kept in mind about the other people worrying more about themselves.. I'll decide for sure when I've had some time to think it over :p Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts