Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone remember a weird moment of socializing from the past?
I keep thinking about the time I was 16. I was working at a mountaineering camp (something like scouts, I guess). I was drinking my morning coffee, ignoring everybody, and playing solitaire (real cards, not on a device). A lady with her boyfriend and daughter visited the camp, a loud and annoying city woman. She entered the lodge, saw me playing solitaire and immediately ran towards me thrilled, asking me to look into her future, too. Yeah, she actually confused a solitaire game with reading the future. Guess what I did: a spread for her. With all the usual "there is a dark woman in your way". I was so confused with her idiotic assumption, it was easier for me to just go with it, than to say anything. Anyone else would naturally explain they were just playing a game, but not me. That was one of my biggest fails in socializing.
Any other stories on how not to socialize?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I used to deliver lost luggage out of MHT. It was a round-the-clock thing, most people wanted their stuff now, and I'd mostly drive after midnight. One time I was delivering a rifle in a hard case to a guy in a small Vermont town around 5am. The delivery address was for #15 of this particular street but the sun wasn't quite up, the house number was framed in a wreath that obscured things a bit and long story short I ended up leaving on the side porch of #5 by mistake.

I didn't normally knock this time of the morning but had no problem waking people up with a call or leaving a voicemail if I wasn't sure I had the right place or it was something being left outside without specific delivery instructions like a rifle. The customer answered the phone right away.

"Hi, I just delivered your rifle from the airport and left it on the side porch under the carport. The house was dark and I figured a call would be better than knocking."

"That's great. Only I don't have a carport." He went on to describe his house and the neighborhood a bit.

"Huh, I left it a few doors down. Give me a minute, I'll be right over."

So I went back to the side porch of #5 where I'd left the rifle but now the lights were on. I tried to make it quick. But as I grabbed the case and turned to leave a shriek of horror froze me in my tracks.

Her side of the door: A well-lit kitchen, a wild-eyed, middle-aged woman in a bathrobe with a butcher knife screaming at the top of her lungs.

My side of the door: The sun is just coming up and I'm standing out on her porch in a black oilskin duster, unshaven with Einstein hair and a rifle in my hand trying to set an apologetic tone.

But I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

"Ah! Get out of here! Ah! I'm calling the police! 911! 911! Ah! Ah!"

"Wait. I..."

"Aaahhh!"

"I..."

"Aaahhh!"

My disarming grin wasn't working at all. I gave up and left once she started making stabby motions with her knife.

The guy got his rifle, we had a chuckle. I waited for the cops to show up. It turned out to be a lone local cop, nice guy. He ran my license then we had a chuckle. I left it to him to head over to #5 and explain what had happened while I went on my merry way to the next delivery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to deliver lost luggage out of MHT. It was a round-the-clock thing, most people wanted their stuff now, and I'd mostly drive after midnight. One time I was delivering a rifle in a hard case to a guy in a small Vermont town around 5am. The delivery address was for #15 of this particular street but the sun wasn't quite up, the house number was framed in a wreath that obscured things a bit and long story short I ended up leaving on the side porch of #5 by mistake.

I didn't normally knock this time of the morning but had no problem waking people up with a call or leaving a voicemail if I wasn't sure I had the right place or it was something being left outside without specific delivery instructions like a rifle. The customer answered the phone right away.

"Hi, I just delivered your rifle from the airport and left it on the side porch under the carport. The house was dark and I figured a call would be better than knocking."

"That's great. Only I don't have a carport." He went on to describe his house and the neighborhood a bit.

"Huh, I left it a few doors down. Give me a minute, I'll be right over."

So I went back to the side porch of #5 where I'd left the rifle but now the lights were on. I tried to make it quick. But as I grabbed the case and turned to leave a shriek of horror froze me in my tracks.

Her side of the door: A well-lit kitchen, a wild-eyed, middle-aged woman in a bathrobe with a butcher knife screaming at the top of her lungs.

My side of the door: The sun is just coming up and I'm standing out on her porch in a black oilskin duster, unshaven with Einstein hair and a rifle in my hand trying to set an apologetic tone.

But I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

"Ah! Get out of here! Ah! I'm calling the police! 911! 911! Ah! Ah!"

"Wait. I..."

"Aaahhh!"

"I..."

"Aaahhh!"

My disarming grin wasn't working at all. I gave up and left once she started making stabby motions with her knife.

The guy got his rifle, we had a chuckle. I waited for the cops to show up. It turned out to be a lone local cop, nice guy. He ran my license then we had a chuckle. I left it to him to head over to #5 and explain what had happened while I went on my merry way to the next delivery.
Well, you at least tried explaining. :D
When I think about it today, I believe I resented the possibility of communication with that woman so much, that I just started laying out the cards, knowing that she will shut up and listen and I will still get to play another round of solitaire.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
What a great idea for a thread! I bet my partner would have a few stories to tell (hopefully not about me lol), so I'm going to summon him because otherwise I'll probably forget to tell him about this. @hornpipe2

Reactions: EvthingZen

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
At the supermarket shopping for stuff and things when I happen to see a phone sitting on one of the shelves. I look around to see if its anyone's then decide to take it and bring it to the front desk of the store. As I was walking through the phone rings and some lady and what I assume is her husband approaches me. Tell her this must be her phone and hand it back and then she accuses me of taking it. She's speaking pretty loud at this point and starting to turn some heads, and she isn't letting me explain myself (when she left the phone there in the first place.) All this is happening while the bf/husband/guy is trying to calm her down. I didn't want to be apart of a scene so discretely made my way out. I ran into her again in the line where it felt like she was trying out some sort of death stare. This is why I will never shop again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... I'm not sure if it has something with our type, but it seems like we are so direct and honest with our intentions, that we can't realize in time the possible negative/different perception of what we say and do. And people like to assume bunch of bs.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Love the original post. Sounds like something I would do now, not because I would feel socially awkward, but because I can get ornery at times. "If I cannot get one of the third cards drawn to match from the draw deck, it is game over, sorry to give you the news." At 16 I probably would have just stared for a full minute before being able to answer. That was a socially awkward time for me, trying to be cool, making me fail at it pretty bad.

When I was younger, single, and way more shy, I was at the grocery store. I had a cart full of things and this cute woman came up behind me with only couple of things so I told her to go ahead of me.

So she checked out and then looked back and said, "thank you for letting me go ahead of you, that was sweet, you should let me make you dinner."

I started talking and realized what I was doing too late and said, "That's Ok, it wasn't that big of a deal." Then I froze horrified what I had just said.

She got a hurt rejected look on her face and I'm sure my face looked like I was scared and wanted to run, which I may have, but my groceries were being rung up. She left and the dude bagging the groceries gave me a look like I was crazy, and I had to agree with that.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
You do know what "antisocial means", right? Also, my whole life happens to be one big awkward social moment, thank you very much. |:{

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do know what "antisocial means", right? Also, my whole life happens to be one big awkward social moment, thank you very much. |:{
Not sure who you were referring to. It can actually mean a bunch of things. In which semantic context do you usually use it?

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Not sure who you were referring to. It can actually mean a bunch of things. In which semantic context do you usually use it?
Antisocial usually refers to someone who goes against social norms(as in laws and rules). Usually they are the type of people who lie, cheat, steal, break the law, and hurt others without remorse. They pretty much lack any kind of conscious and don't have any morals they live by.
That's at least what I heard. I think you were referring to the word asocial.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Antisocial usually refers to someone who goes against social norms(as in laws and rules). Usually they are the type of people who lie, cheat, steal, break the law, and hurt others without remorse. They pretty much lack any kind of conscious and don't have any morals they live by.
I thought antisocial also meant lacking in social skills and asocial meant lack of desire to be social which I believe antisocial can mean also. They should really not have let the words garner so many meanings.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
True, thanks. :)
In Serbian they can be somewhat interchangeable.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought antisocial also meant lacking in social skills and asocial meant lack of desire to be social which I believe antisocial can mean also. They should really not have let the words garner so many meanings.
Semantics is a b*ch. :D

Reactions: GusWriter

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Not really, I remember watching a psychology video about it. At first I was a tiny bit skeptical, but then everyone kept saying "that's what it means", so I just when along with it.

Anti-against
Social-social rules/society. That's what everyone keeps on saying, and so far that is what I see it referring to on psychology papers. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it means both, I have no clue dude.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Not really, I remember watching a psychology video about it. Usually it is mixed up with the asocial. At first I was a tiny bit skeptical, but then everyone kept saying "that's what it means", so I just when along with it.
Hmmm, perhaps. I just googled it and dictionary.com has antisocial meaning all three. But, to your point, they keep changing definitions of words or coming up with new terms for the same thing, and that annoys me, so I'll go along with you.

Anyway, it's so much like an INTP thread for half the posts to be about the real definition of words, rather than what the guy was talking about.

Since I've become more comfortable with my own social awkwardness, it's just not as awkward anymore. Funny, how that lack of self doubt keeps everything feeling less awkward from both sides. I have my moments of regression, but most of the time I'm good.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
Your Serbian, cool.
*You're

Sorry, I had to. :p

As far as memories go, I was at a slumber party and trying to get along with everyone. There was some board game we were trying to play and a very specific piece (a token or something) was missing. We looked around and one of the girls helpfully offered something that was not the missing piece. It also was not related in any way to the missing piece. I stared at her blankly and said, "Well, that doesn't help at all."

Everyone in the room reacted like I had just delivered the greatest burn in the world. I didn't mean anything by it, only that the piece she found didn't help. My explanation didn't help my case and she continued to be hurt.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps. I just googled it and dictionary.com has antisocial meaning all three. But, to your point, they keep changing definitions of words or coming up with new terms for the same thing, and that annoys me, so I'll go along with you.

Anyway, it's so much like an INTP thread for half the posts to be about the real definition of words, rather than what the guy was talking about.

Since I've become more comfortable with my own social awkwardness, it's just not as awkward anymore. Funny, how that lack of self doubt keeps everything feeling less awkward from both sides. I have my moments of regression, but most of the time I'm good.
Lol, so true. Next, let's contemplate on the word Lupehanbgyg. I say, it is real.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
*You're

Sorry, I had to, :p
It's fine. My grammar sucks! I have met two year olds with better grammar then me(I am pretty sure I used the wrong "then", but anyways).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I find that both amusing and useful. It's a good way of avoiding misunderstandings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts