Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... to speak at his funeral. And I wanted to say something very important, that could help to approach the moment from a higher perspective. I didn want to write it out and just do it off of the top of my head at the funeral, but I decided, I should do this a different way and write it, just to have a path in front of me. So I wrote it out a day or so ago, and I read it on this audio recording to see how long it would take if I read in a certain intonation and exactness. But also to share it here to hear the opinions on others and their thoughts on it, if it is appropriate and what not.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iRTzSjshm6

It would be best to listen to it, but if you can't, just read it below, and give your thoughts. There is a reason I added the the trinity in there, it has a certain significance, that relates to the whole thing, especially the last part...

Hi everyone, I dont want to talk too long, but I felt compelled to speak at this event. And yes, I said event, primarily because it has that sort of importance. But in the west we do not approach death as an event, for us it is an unfortunate moment. And while it is sad, to say good bye to someone, death remains as a constant in our life, and should have the same sacredness that coming into life has. But the question is, why doesn't it? Why do we not value death? The answer is in how we approach the life that we live. In life we live as if we don't believe death is real. A part of us knows it, we experience it, but yet, in our ordinary lives, this feeling of death, does not touch us and as a result, we miss out on what it could give to us, to live our life more productively and more harmonious with each other.

We live our lives without the single bit of awareness of death, as a result, it comes to us in a shock, and then we are filled with regret, then we are filled with unfufilled moments, and then do we really care for one another, while laying by their death bed. But it is too late and now they are gone. And while they were alive, we were stuck in our identifications, our problems, issues, worries, vanities, self importance, feeling victimized, imaginations about how this person hates me, or how this person is this and that way, as if we truly know each other. But how can we know each other, when we impose our own ideas about the person on them, never becoming open to the possibility of receiving them as they are, while they are and were with us? it seems we cant see pass our own nose.

But to live with an awareness of death, one would know, and it would be very clear, by the taste of death, that everyone around you, everyone here, and even yourself. will die. In the face of this, how is any of the imaginations, problems, issues, victimizations, that you have in mind, of any real significance, in the face of reality, that all you know, will be no more eventually. But this is not depressing, in fact it is joyous. Because in knowing this, we can live our lives, with a certain importance each day, a certain sacredness, that death should be owed. In a way, in life, we are preparing for how we will die. What state will you leave this world. So, if you are smart, you will seek to do so, by bringing everything you do to completion, to live each day, with the importance as your last, to bring to fullfiness your abmitions, to bring to fulfillness your relationships, with the imperishable loved ones, who are sitted next to you. I believe this way of death, could make our lives with one another that much richer, and maybe, ironically, we could live longer by virtue of it.

For this reason, a persons death is very scared and as such, we owe it to the life that they lived, to not romanticize them. It is easy to talk about how great they were when they died, but when they were alive, you cursed them, did not see them, said nothng nice of them. In their death, let us be honest, as it is the only way that their life in death can serve us personally. My grandfather was a flawed man, but all men are flawed, we all fall short of what is possible for us, sainthood, we are all beneath. But he, my grandfather was, also kind, I can only speak from my own experience, I have never had a negative personal relationship with him --and I know he loved me.

Thinking on this, I recalled, the traditions of a community somewhere, in a location that I fail to remember at this point. But the place is irrelevant, but the practice, I feel relates to everything I have said thus far, and I can't think of a better way to end this.

In this community, when someone passes on from this world, the elders all gather together under one roof, and disuss the persons life. They speak of their life in 3 very important ways. The first, they discuss all the things that the person did wrong... the second they discuss all that the person did right.... and the third, they discuss all that they, themselves, had done wrong to that person, in the hope that their conscience could be awakened, and this persons death would give them something and not pass away, without entering their being. In this we give value to the life a person lives and the death, which all face. hopefully you take somethng from this, if not, dont wait till another death comes before you value the life that lived. In the name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit, have mercy on me and you, and everyone. good bye, grandpa.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts