Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Were Batman and the Joker both fictional characters with INFJ personality types?

I would argue that it is possible, as both seem to have an idealist approach toward dealing with society. However, Joker is the version of an idealist who wants to change the world with complete disregard for basic and traditional social values. People who consider Hitler to be an INFJ point to this historical example of a person with this personality system that have decided change the world without working through basic social values.

In the most recent film depicting the Joker, the character was portrayed without a specific commitment toward an ideological system that he hoped to use to change the world. The closest thing we see to any sort of system that the Joker commits to is the imposition of complete chaos and criminal mayhem on society without letting money, greed, or power be a prime motivator. The creators of this character did not want the Joker to be an ideological symbol; they wanted the Joker to be a symbol of any dark idealist system that is not based on working with generally accepted social value systems.

Batman is his INFJ personality counterpart (yes, I recognize that others do not consider Batman to be an INFJ). It could be argued that Batman may have also been an IN F/T J, as he is partly depicted in the movies as being interested in engineering and scientific issues as well. However, I believe he was predominantly an F variable type, but in his case he was idealist who wanted to change the world by more or less working within and upholding traditional social value systems. Historical examples of this type of INFJ could be Martin Luther King, Ghandi, or Mandela. In Batman's case, his ideal was to sustain order based security and the rule of law of non-corrupt society.

This is one of the big dilemmas of INFJ's. Many are social super heroes, bringing great change when they want to advocate their ideals constructively. On the other hand, there are other INFJ's that can be quite destructive as they pursue their idealistic goals while operating outside social value systems. What motivates them to work constructively within social value systems are destructively outside of social value systems is determined by other personality processes that cannot be wholly explained with an MTBI approach.

Brian Ghilliotti

Registered
Have you considered that Batman is largely motivated by mild psychological problems, specifically unresolved grief over the death of his parents? That's part of what motivated him to become Batman in the first place, isn't it? And his social isolation isn't very healthy either. These issues can complicate typing him.

Reactions: Lovable

Registered
I think Batman is an IXTX

He's not that much of a social person, he is not that into attending parties, he does it more out of duty.

Registered
I admit, not a Batman expert, unless knowing animated incarnations count, but as a whole, I think Batman is the opposite of Fe. Has nothing to do with the trope of "Fe is nice," (it's not, inherently speaking) but rather, how he has no social understanding. Even Joker is better at reading people and manipulation on a personal level. Batman just strikes fear in a direct, Get it done, sort of way.

He doesn't work well with people and isn't the least bit ashamed by that. If Batman was ever meant to be Fe, not only have writers failed, but I have just lost so much interest and respect for the character.

Registered
Kinda disappointed that this thread isn't, "Was Batman and Joker the only fictional pair to have a deep obsession and dependency on one another?"

I'd like to hear about other characters that were obsessed with their foils/counterparts :D

Registered
I don't think that Batman and The Joker are INFJs.

Batman is most likely an IXTJ.
The Joker is probably an ENTP.

The problem is that there are many incarnations of these characters, so it's difficult to settle on one type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts