Votes: 5 15.2%
  • C c c courage!

Votes: 25 75.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: If you had to pick, what aspect of yourself do you believe needs the greatest amount of improvement? What would you pick and why? Conversely, what area are you already strong in?

(The below is just for basic guidelines and for fun, but feel free to apply your own meaning)

Brain
You could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.
And your head you'd be scratchin' while
your thoughts were busy hatchin'
If you only had a brain.
Oh, you could tell me why the ocean's near the shore.
You could think of things you never thunk before.
And then you'd sit, and think some more.
You would not be just a nothin' your head all full of stuffin'
Your heart all full of pain.
You would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry,
If you only had a brain.

Heart
When a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
And yet you're torn apart
Just because you're presumin'
That you could be a human
If you only had a heart

You'd be tender, you'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
You'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy that shoots the arrows
If you only had a heart

Picture me a balcony
Above a voice sings low

(Snow White)
Wherefore art thou, Romeo?

(You)
I hear a beat, how sweet!

Just to register emotion, jealousy, devotion
And really feel the part
You would stay young and chipper
And you'd lock it with a zipper
If you only had a heart
Courage (Nerve)
Yeh, it's sad, believe me, Missy,
When you're born to be a sissy
Without the vim and verve.
But you could show your prowess, be a lion not a mouse
If you only had the nerve.

Oh, you'd be in my stride, a king down to the core
You could roar the way you never roared before,
and then you'd r-r-roof and roar some more.
You would show the dinosaurus whose king around the forest
a king they'd better serve,
why with my regal beezor you could be another Caesar,
if you only had the nerve.

I'm afraid there's no denyin' you're just a dandelion,
A fate you don't deserve.
You'd be brave as a blizzard....
You'd be gentle as a lizard....
You'd be clever as a gizzard....
if you only had the nerve.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Something about this is beautiful.

Courage - Because there are many things in life that would be so much easier for me if I only had enough nerve. Things that need said, things that need done.. It holds me back a lot. Eventually, I do sort of just go nuts and full speed ahead accomplish them - but courage would save me a lot of time, and grief ;)

I think I have a good heart <3
It's kind of bruised up, but it's functioning quite well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Totally courage, I have enough heart to last me a lifetime and my brains never really been a problem but being brave would be pretty amazing. Thinking back on life events that's probably something thats held me back quite a bit from things I've wanted.

·
[dis]illusioned
3,580 Posts

Courage, liquid or otherwise, would be nice.

But seriously, I'm starting to see how my fears are 90% in my head and I'm really my own worst enemy in terms of feeling like I'm "missing something."

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't ask for any of these things. Instead, I would ask for a cup of tea, relax while drinking it, and then continuing on my trek to better myself because every part of me needs improvement. Yes, I could ask for one of these things to be improved, but if improvements are handed out then what is the point of bettering yourself? It of course takes courage to ask for something not provided on the list and courage to improve yourself, but sometimes I still chicken out with simple things and I would rather try to improve that myself. It takes brains and wisdom in order to realize that, in the long run, it is better to try to get those things yourself instead of grab handouts. In fact, everything you need has been inside of you all along. It also takes a strong heart to deal with the emotions brought on by your decision and the emotions that will flow through you as you continue on your journey, and because everything is always changing your strength, courage, and wisdom will always be tested, but they will always be forever improving because that is the way life is.

Here is the section of the minecraft end poem I love:

You are the player, reading words...
Shush... Sometimes the player read lines of code on a screen. Decoded them into words; decoded words into meaning; decoded meaning into feelings, emotions, theories, ideas, and the player started to breathe faster and deeper and realised it was alive, it was alive, those thousand deaths had not been real, the player was alive
You. You. You are alive.
and sometimes the player believed the universe had spoken to it through the sunlight that came through the shuffling leaves of the summer trees
and sometimes the player believed the universe had spoken to it through the light that fell from the crisp night sky of winter, where a fleck of light in the corner of the player's eye might be a star a million times as massive as the sun, boiling its planets to plasma in order to be visible for a moment to the player, walking home at the far side of the universe, suddenly smelling food, almost at the familiar door, about to dream again
and sometimes the player believed the universe had spoken to it through the zeros and ones, through the electricity of the world, through the scrolling words on a screen at the end of a dream
and the universe said I love you
and the universe said you have played the game well
and the universe said everything you need is within you
and the universe said you are stronger than you know
and the universe said you are the daylight
and the universe said you are the night
and the universe said the darkness you fight is within you
and the universe said the light you seek is within you
and the universe said you are not alone
and the universe said you are not separate from every other thing
and the universe said you are the universe tasting itself, talking to itself, reading its own code
and the universe said I love you because you are love.
And the game was over and the player woke up from the dream. And the player began a new dream. And the player dreamed again, dreamed better. And the player was the universe. And the player was love.
You are the player.
Wake up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have this friend who always compares herself to me. She thinks I'm a walking genius with a Jesus complex, and by comparison, she finds herself second rate. In consequence, she overcompensates with the strongest nerve I've ever seen. I tell her every time I talk to her that I wish I had a fraction of her tenacity. She doesn't care what it takes; she gets what she wants. And honestly, even if I was "a walking genius with a Jesus complex" as I am according to her gross caricature, she is definitely gonna get to higher places in the world than I'll ever be. It's just awe-inspiring to watch.

I'd definitely pick nerve. That brand of courage. I just love watching that spark in my friend. It's beautiful.

·
Banned
116 Posts
I have a heart -full of bozo-garb but hey, it's a real live heart!

I have a brain -that acts like an electronic with water affecting its circuity... and... It's never ever boring!

So I would ask the wizard if I could trade the excess of courage I have (flooding my heart with bozo-garb) for....

crazy drugs! He would say...........

"I grant thee hoodlum many a drug for thine own selfish pleasures. May you make many a cruddy philosophic discoveries and never go to jail again."

"Oh thank you great wizard, thank you! thank you so very much!"

I would also ask him for a ton of different passports like Jason Borne.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
328 Posts
Courage. What would it be like after all to truly believe in myself? That timelessness and invulnerability and peace? That grace and love for myself? Wholeness and completion? I'm always trying to get something from the world. I wish I gave more. Loved more. Rested more in knowingness.

Courage I think is the prevalence of reason, assertion that what must be true is true, that there is in fact order in the world and you are the light which dispels the shadows of doubt just by being. How ridiculous to long for what you can only stand up for yourself, to hide something behind a bush and look around for it as though it is lost?

I suppose what I'm really asking for ... is just to grow up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not a single thing. Every mistake and failure, every success and victory has shaped me to who I am. Simply being given something would I feel cheapen my experience of life. If I want something, I'll work towards it until I have earned it. If I want to be courageous, I will start being courageous as an example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.