Personality Cafe banner

Were you/are you in the Gifted and Talented program at school?

• Yes

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • My school didn't have it, but I would have been placed there.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • My school didn't have it, but I would NOT have been placed there.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
800 Posts
I was one of the trio of tall smart guys with masochistic, semi-flambo-gay cousin and mousy, semi-straight-gay otherguy. Not sure if I was most or second most paddled though. We taught the teachers fractional division, if you call THAT a program, but only I checked behind the English teacher's diagrams on a case by case basis. Oh, and I was the only one "volunteered" by the princiPAL for the spelling bee for PR purposes. Kinda think it was special that no one else got the joke of misspelling science. Lot of short-bus there, just no (permanent) buses. Mostly it was just the one indoctrination program.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was in 2nd grade, but after 11 years all I remember is doing extra menial work like putting up posters for this and that fundraiser, reading a book to kindergartners, getting mad when said kindergartners would complain about my quiet and monotonous voice, walking around school observing older kids in their classrooms, and of course, extra homework to stay in the G&T. I hated the homework part a lot, so I made sure to not go back to the program in 3rd grade.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Yup I was!!!

I was selected for "HIP" High intellectual potential, a program called "Habits of Mind"
with the highest achievers across schools, based on our results.

Then later, in year 12 I was selected for 'Principal's merit award' where only a select few of us got naturally chosen from our results to go and do these uni experience days, i can't remember XD

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
My whole school period was covered by a black sky. Depression for 6 years long. The only education I was not depressed was my security education, but it had no such program.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I think I remember hearing about the gifted/talented program in elementary school, but I'm not sure. I feel like it might've been named something else. I don't think I was in it, though. That, or it wasn't a big deal at my school and I just don't remember it.

My high school was notoriously hard, though, and I chose to do the hardest program that it offered. The lady who "sold" this program to me told me I'd get like 2 years off of university if I worked hard enough in it (I didn't, lol - got less off than most people who just took lots of AP tests).

Toward the end I was also in some other program that, in essence, made it so I had about 14 classes to study for and had to learn how to give impromptu speeches at a competition (I pretty much got abducted into this program against my will because of my SAT score). I'd sleep about 3 hours a night every single weeknight. Also had multiple adults (namely my dad and the lady who abducted me into the first program, who I sometimes joke is the demon I sold my soul to, LOL) constantly emotionally whipping me like a fucking horse to do better/go harder when I was already running ragged. That part of my life was so intense that the lack of sleep has made me forget almost everything that happened to me outside of the major highlights/consistent parts. I probably aged like a president.

As completely hellish as it all was, it was worth it. Graduated high school with a 4.5 GPA, got into my first pick for college with the major I wanted. I'm a great speech-giver/communicator/have a good work ethic. Now I'm a biochemistry major making straight A's, almost have my degree in my hand, and I feel like it's the easiest shit ever. Not that I'm super smart or anything, but my work ethic is just so high now that it feels like nothing. And while all of that shit was definitely the hardest part of my life mentally, it's made me a better person in almost every way I can think of.

So... yup. :tongue:

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,308 Posts
I was in the gifted and talented program in elementary school but I don't really remember it, other than it being a small group of students who got together occasionally for special classes. I was in AP classes in middle school and most of high school, but I started purposefully enrolling in other classes because I got sick of being sorta sheltered with the same group of kids through the years, and I thought the "bad" kids were more fun. lol. I also fell way behind in math, and I had a hard time paying attention in class generally... which didn't impact me too badly since I was good at test taking and studying on my own - except for in that arena. I don't know why I kept getting placed in the math classes I did. By the time I was in college I was actually enrolling in remedial classes to catch up.

I think I scored high enough in other portions of standardized tests that I got lumped into the general AP group despite pretty much sucking in math. I also had a dad who was extremely mathematical and helped me with homework, but I had a hard time retaining what he taught past immediate assignments and tests.

And edit - actually, remembering... in order to level down essentially in high school, I had to take classes with kids a year above me. I had friends and a boyfriend in that grade, so I think that impacted my decisions too. Obviously my priorities were in order :p I took my SAT's hungover. I've always been fairly good at wasting potential xD

Double edit - I'm trying to remember how my parents let me get away with this in high school, as they were kinda strict. My mom said I used to lawyer her so maybe I came up with some case that made sense at the time. Or maybe she didn't fully know. I used to practice forging her signature until I had it down nearly perfectly and stuff. I wasn't the best daughter. lol. I know I got grounded for the SAT thing... I was almost constantly grounded in high school though (ok, exaggeration), until my sister and I (well probably mostly me) devised this plot to recondition what was deemed grounding worthy, even if we had to take a heavier hit at first. Most of my scheming at that time was non-academia related. lol.

It worked out though. I had to go to community college for a year, but I got straight A's and went away to school the next. And I got a good job right out of college. I eventually ended up leaving that field, but it was by choice.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I don't think there was such a thing, and if there was such a thing, i wouldn't have been placed there, since if i had something called talent, it wouldn't have been noticed. At a very young age, i even was recommended exceptional education due developmental / intellectual disabilities, but I wasn't placed there eventually since there was no place, and i performed well enough in primary education to stay there.

I did two IQ tests when I was 6 and i had a score slightly below 50 and slightly above 50

35-49 - Moderately retarded
Can learn simple life skills and employment tasks with special education. May be employed in special settings, and achieve some independence. Often socially immature. Self-awareness - having an inner image of self, realizing that one is a person separate from the others around one - may exist from here on, but is not guaranteed to exist as it depends on more than intelligence alone. The most intelligent animals, such as some chimpanzees, bonobos, parrots, and dolphins, are in this range. Bonobo or chimpanzee I.Q. scores are sometimes even quoted as high as 80 or 90, but those are childhood age-peer scores that correspond to adult I.Q.'s of only just over 40.
50-69 - Mildly retarded
Educable, can learn to care for oneself, employable in routinized jobs but require supervision. Might live alone but do best in supervised settings. Immature but with adequate social adjustment, usually no obvious physical anomalies.
Moderate and mild retardation, contrary to the more severe forms, are typically not caused by brain damage but part of the normal variance of intelligence, and therefore largely genetic and inherited. This is important with regard to the question whether or not retarded persons should have children; for especially the moderate and mild forms of retardation, with which it is physically possible to have children, are the most likely to be inherited.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I don't think there was such a thing, and if there was such a thing, i wouldn't have been placed there, since if i had something called talent, it wouldn't have been noticed. At a very young age, i even was recommended exceptional education due developmental / intellectual disabilities, but I wasn't placed there eventually since there was no place, and i performed well enough in primary education to stay there.

I did two IQ tests when I was 6 and i had a score slightly below 50 and slightly above 50
My IQ is [email protected]www.Chickenfileteddonteatthattwerkitworkit.com

Yes, I did a product placement, or as I call it, an EMOJI MOVIE.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
I was in a few.

I thought [the ones] in elementary were Special Ed™ because only a certain amount of student(s) were 'allowed'and/or eligible into this 'elite' learning group, so I was not rather 'excited' to go until I were corrected that it were for particularly more [advanced] student(s). (LOL).

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I was homeschooled most of my life until university now, and the few years of private school I attended (kindergarten through third grade) did not have this kind of program.
Did you ever feel left out for not attending school?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Did you ever feel left out for not attending school?
Not really:). I did have some small "classes" with other homeschoolers and teachers our families found on our own, which was nice. But I loved having more time for violin and horseback riding and introverting!!

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
so far 14 gifted on here
yet they can't find anything better to do
lol special snow flake flu must be rampant :laughing:
*cough cough*

Well, you're not wrong!

·
Registered
790 Posts
well, i got 5 on my last Math test, i think it requires some kind of talent, no ? :proud:

and as for the poll: nope, i wasn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, only in middle school though. From grades 5-8 there was this group for the kids with the highest grades in the school called the Enrichment Group.. we'd basically just get to miss a bit of class every week and go on field trips. And then high school came along and I got lazy

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I was placed in GATE (Gifted and Talented Education, in California) when I was in elementary school.

In 8th grade, we were all supposed to take a test to assess our reading level, and mine came out at a range from 8th-12th grade. This made it very difficult to do book reports, because we were supposed to do books that were at our reading level, and the only books at that level were really boring...just not the sort of thing that interested me.

Not doing as well as I'd like to in college, unfortunately. I'm getting kinda burned out, even though I love what I'm studying. There's simply not enough free time -- I'm usually not free until 9 PM on Friday nights for example, and most of my Saturdays are spent just studying. I'm also not the best at time management which doesn't help.

But I do agree with the previous sentiments here. While there's definitely going to be some sampling bias, I think that PerCers are a pretty intelligent group overall. :)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts