Personality Cafe banner

Were you/are you in the Gifted and Talented program at school?

• Yes

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • My school didn't have it, but I would have been placed there.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • My school didn't have it, but I would NOT have been placed there.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
INFP 5w6
4,737 Posts
There wasn't that kind of program in my schools, and I answered that I would not be in it, which I am guessing, because I was not very good at school until I was about 14-15 years old, around then things changed. But at first I was a bit late with learning to read, terrible at spelling and was even in "help-class" for a while for spelling and grammar when I was around 12 years old. I wasn't very motivated to do quite a lot of schoolwork and was behind in the mathsbook etc. But eventually I did well, my guess is I have bookwormery to thank for that mainly.

It sounds strange to me with that kind of program, as I am unfamiliar with it, and I wonder how it works? do the ungifted feel bad about not making it there? what about those who have hidden potentials?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
There wasn't that kind of program in my schools, and I answered that I would not be in it, which I am guessing, because I was not very good at school until I was about 14-15 years old, around then things changed. But at first I was a bit late with learning to read, terrible at spelling and was even in "help-class" for a while for spelling and grammar when I was around 12 years old. I wasn't very motivated to do quite a lot of schoolwork and was behind in the mathsbook etc. But eventually I did well, my guess is I have bookwormery to thank for that mainly.

It sounds strange to me with that kind of program, as I am unfamiliar with it, and I wonder how it works? do the ungifted feel bad about not making it there? what about those who have hidden potentials?
Thanks for sharing!

I'm interested in the answers to your questions too. It probably depends on the reputation of the program whether the "ungifted" feel bad. If the Gifted and Talented program was all about going on field trips, I'd feel really jealous if I didn't get to join, and I might have a harder time being friends with the "smart" kids who were able to go.

I know there are many students with hidden potential, especially those who speak a different first language than the one the test is given in! It puts students in minority groups at a disadvantage, and that's pretty dumb... At my school, I believe we took written tests that were sort of like IQ tests. There were visual-spatial reasoning questions included in the mix, but you still had to be able to read directions and understand what the wordier questions were asking.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yes, I was in Advanced Placement classes in high school, and when I attended college, I earned an Honors Scholarship simply on the basis of entrance exam scores. I didn't maintain the GPA to keep that scholarship but that doesn't phase me because as my time in college passed, the entire concept of mainstream higher education became something sour and unappealing to me.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Yes. I'll keep it brief.

It was traumatizing.

After I got out of the hospital for essentially having a nervous breakdown, not eating for 2-3 months and developing OCD, I left the "gifted program"... which at this point (6th grade) was at a diff. school and was called "The Academy" (sounds pretentious doesn't it? lol).

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Nah, but I was placed in upper level courses in middle school and such, like algebra.

However, keep in mind that there's been studies on these. There's a classic one where a man followed children with high IQs throughout their life, and he found that their achievement was like a bell-shape curve. Most of them, led normal, average lives.

What stands out in someone's life who achieves a lot is their practical knowledge--the ability to know what to say, how to say it, and when to say it. Kind of like EQ.

·
Registered
314 Posts
During primary school I was in the gifted and talented class and then I got into a high school for the gifted and talented (1st in state). Uhhhh I sound like I'm bragging but trust me sometimes I wish I didn't go to this school because of the overwhelming amount of pressure you're forced through. It's super competitive and everyone studies their butt off. Basically everyone is expected to become a doctor/lawyer/accountant etc. Exam periods are beyond stressful and it can really take a toll on your mental health, but at least it keeps you motivated to do well and continue improving. At the end of each term, we're given a rank out of the whole grade for each subject which can be really demoralising if you fall behind...
My school also has this notorious stereotype of having "no life" which I can vouch for as a senior, but junior years are a lot more chill.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
My schools never had such a thing and if they did I would never have made it into the program. I'm not "gifted" or "talented" in any way. I was an average student at best, but when I got lazy my grades fell below average.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes and no. After about a year I got kicked out 'cause I pissed around and thought it was a waste of time.

After another year they stopped doing the program because - surprise - it was a waste of time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was christian homeschooled from preschool - 3rd grade and was put into special ed 4th grade + so theres that.

Reason why I was not allowed in a normal class : Because the way my brain was made I could not comprehend a normal education ~ Director of guidance .... she literally said that....

We were basically the people who were the " least likely to succeed / we need to hide them ". We had our separate award ceremony , the lowest hierarchy ( yes there is such a thing ) ate separately/ was not allowed to be around other students, etc.

I sometimes get jealous of advanced placement people. Talking about it just makes me so upset / angry.

Edit: Hell , I may be the dumbest perc member here.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I was christian homeschooled from preschool - 3rd grade and was put into special ed 4th grade + so theres that.

Reason why I was not allowed in a normal class : Because the way my brain was made I could not comprehend a normal education ~ Director of guidance .... she literally said that....

We were basically the people who were the " least likely to succeed / we need to hide them ". We had our separate award ceremony , the lowest hierarchy ( yes there is such a thing ) ate separately/ was not allowed to be around other students, etc.

I sometimes get jealous of advanced placement people. Talking about it just makes me so upset / angry.

Edit: Hell , I may be the dumbest perc member here.
There's dumber out there. You are no where near the dumbest perC member.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts