Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was, almost all grades and it stopped for the most of it in highschool and for sure during college. I tried to be quiet and not do anything bad, not offend anyone or make anybody have a negative reaction. So basically I laid low. I'm guessing they were bullying people because of their own insecurities and because they could not control their negative reactions (and there was nobody else there to control them). Bullying meant verbal abuse and sometimes, but not that often physical abuse. For some reason, some people thought fighting was cool and they tried to provoke it and push people around, especially those they had disagreements with. I was bulied during highschool too, but not by colleagues, but by other people. It seems to me, the more education a person has, the less likely he is to do something like that.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Were you bullied in school? Yes
What grades were you bullied in or were you bullied throughout your whole school experience? Year 8-10, then random bits afterwards
How did you deal with it? I tried standing up to the bullies, but that didn't work because I was outnumbered and didn't have any really supportive friends, I tried reporting it, but no one took me that seriously, then after two years of being bullied at the same school, I changed schools.
Why do you think you were bullied? Was there a reason or were they just bullying for the sake of bullying? I think their was fault from both parties. If I had gone to the higher decile girls only girl school straight from the start, I think I would have been ok, because a lot of the girls there were just as naive and young spirited as I was, but at the school I originally attended, the kids were a lot rougher around the edges, the majority of kids were sp/sj types, and I didn't make any effort to blend in. I was also a bit of a snob when I first started school, but I learnt pretty quickly that appearances didn't mean a damn thing, and girls magazines were full of lies. If it hadn't been me that was bullied, it probably would have been someone else, but I got under their skin without even trying. Just incompatible personalities (although I liked them, thought they were smart, funny, interesting etc- how sad!) and immature people. Its been eight years now, and I still don't trust any of them.

Anything else you want to know?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Were you bullied in school?
Yes.

What grades were you bullied in or were you bullied throughout your whole school experience?
Mainly in elementary school and a bit in seventh grade. It was always by males, never females (and I'm a female).

How did you deal with it?
Told them to leave me alone. Or ignored them. That never worked. I think they respond better to aggressive bullying back but I wouldn't allow myself to stoop to their level.

Why do you think you were bullied? Was there a reason or were they just bullying for the sake of bullying?
For some of them, they seemed to come from what I suspect are abusive homes. Some were simply arrogant, spoiled children who carry a lot of anger and aggressiveness in them for some reason. They're always the ones very conscious of status. I suspect racism played a part in it too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes. In ninth grade, my closest friends who I had been friends since fourth grade turned on me and started bullying me. Ironically though, they were all intuitives like me (not SJs or SPs like you might expect). One was an INTP, another was probably an INFJ, the third was an ENFP. The ENFP was the main perpetrator, he was very manipulative of the other two, and he had bullied the INTP a lot in the past, so they both felt pressured to go along with it and do what he told them. It started off as mostly verbal abuse, insulting me, my family, and especially my sister (which drove me crazy since I love her so dearly), but then they started physically abusing me too. I couldn't escape from it because I had every class with at least one of them, and I was in a carpool with them for cross country practice. I literally was with them the entire day, and there was nothing I could do about it. Also, previously, the ENFP, who was their leader, was one of the people I had confided in the most, so he knew all of my weak spots and insecurities. Additionally, I didn't have any friends other than them, only acquaintances, since I was always a very quiet/introverted person.

Eventually, I managed to disentangle myself from them. When classes changed halfway through the year, I sat farther from them and avoided going to any social events that they were invited to. Obviously, the bullying didn't stop right away because I had many of the same classes, but I eventually managed to find a new group. They couldn't believe that I had gotten myself. I still have major trust issues, though, because of the experience, and I am very reluctant to share anything about myself to anyone, even if they've confided in me their deepest, darkest secrets. I'm always afraid that the people I believe to be my friends will turn against me.

They didn't stop bullying me, though, when they had the chance, until eleventh grade, granted they didn't have the chance many times because of my efforts to avoid them. This whole situation is by far the worst thing that's ever happened to me in my life and I still can't manage to completely forgive the ENFP or the INFJ.

So yeah, I've been bullied.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think we've all had some rough times. I was bullied since 4th grade, always being a year younger and taken advantage of all the time for being weak. 5th grade was probably worst. I was shoved, two of my permanent teeth knocked out from that. And one time I was chased until one person got to me, and when I fell to the ground, they kicked me, some others joining in as well... yup. living hell. And to be honest, some of them might have been pretty screwed up, but I think some of them just didn't want to left out of the action(LORDY!!!! What have we come down to?) But we all share these problems.. we all get through them with the few friends we have. And though the scars will always be there, be they in reality or the mind, they influence us in the most subtle of ways... perhaps the way we take the bullying early in life might give us a clue as to our natural type..

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
A few question for all the NF's:
Yes, horribly.
What grades were you bullied in or were you bullied throughout your whole school experience?
The whole time.
I cried a lot.
Why do you think you were bullied?
The other children thought I was weird, and they discriminated against me for being sensitive.
Was there a reason or were they just bullying for the sake of bullying?
There is never a valid reason. They were just sadistic, possibly because most of them had abusive parents who taught them that having feelings was a bad thing.

·
Banned
461 Posts
Yep. Repeatedly. I seemed to get 2-4 different bullies a year, almost like they were on rotation or something.

In fourth grade, this snot nosed fatbag used to pound on me for reasons I'm still not clear on. Towards the end, I befriended a tall black kid and asked if he could be my bodyguard for the rest of the school year. I paid him 50 cents.

So the next day or so I'm back on the schoolyard, and snot nosed fatbag starts chasing me again... only to get clothelined by my new bodyguard. His glasses go FLYING and man did that little bitch start crying rivers of tears. Best day of my life.

My bodyguard and I became good friends but he moved away after that year. Panda sadness.

In junior high the bully crap started up again, only this became like bully groups instead of a single bully. One day they took my basketball and started passing it around. I kept reaching for it only for them to quickly pass it on to the next person, pointing and laughing. So what I did was just pick the smallest guy in the group... and beat the living shit out of him. Quickly got my ball after that, and a stint in detention. Totally worth it though.

I got in tons of fights after that until high school, when things finally simmered down and the bully saga finally ended.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah, I was.​

Most of my school life, yeah, but primary school wasn't as bad because I had a few close friends. For the first few years of high school, it was pretty bad. Then, we had to switch classes to focus on specific electives. Thank god for that, because I was in a different class from the bullies. I was really quiet in my new class and didn't try to make any friends.​

I laid low.​

Why do you think you were bullied? Was there a reason or were they just bullying for the sake of bullying?
Perhaps it was because of my apperance. I have a skin condition, so I've always stood out from the crowd.​

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No, I never was, thankfully. I've always gone to school in very accepting environments in which peaceful conflict resolution was taught as the ideal. I am lucky--although even if I'd grown up in a less safe environment, I think I might have been more likely to be ignored than bullied.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No, I never was, thankfully. I've always gone to school in very accepting environments in which peaceful conflict resolution was taught as the ideal. I am lucky--although even if I'd grown up in a less safe environment, I think I might have been more likely to be ignored than bullied.
Being ignored is the lesser of two evils, I'd say. Because I was so quiet, people tended to ignore me. But I'd rather have that than bullying.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
No, thankfully. One time in 8th grade though, this boy Kyle called me a jerk because I was sitting where he wanted to sit and I refused to give up the seat. I remember it because honestly it's one of like 3 times anyone has ever in my life said something mean to my face.

I was kind of a bitch in 7th and 8th grade though; a bit of a bully myself. Not the instigator, but certainly my group of friends was pretty awful to some girls in our grade. And I didn't do anything to stop it.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I was not bullied in school, but I was ostracized by a group of girls in middle school when the majority of them decided I was not fit to hang with them. I was close to one or two girls in said group, and anyway, I was told in no uncertain terms to leave the group. Such an experience reinforced a feeling that I was an odd one and didn't have the goods, so to speak, to be a part of the socially accepted group(s). But I guess this is why I've always been pretty independent and still somehow managed to see my inner goodness and why I easily empathize with those who have been the targets of bullies. If anything, it says a lot more about the bullies than it does about those who are bullied. It is so easy to turn self-loathing or a lack of self-worth outward and thus become mean and nasty towards others; it's a cowardly thing to do to bully others.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yes, in these ways:
1. I was followed around by a couple of boys during recess. They would stalk me everywhere and tease me.
2. A girl would tease me incessantly and compete with me incessently.
3. Said girl, in second grade, started a "We Hate Bridgett Club" (me being Bridgett) that every girl in our class joined)
4. Many people in middle school verbally harassed and excluded me
5. In high school many people verbally harassed and excluded me
6. In college my roommate spread rumors about me and gossiped about me

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Oh yes, and as far as how I dealt with it: I tried to ignore it. I kept to myself, pretended not to hear them, got my mother to drive me to school so I didn't have to take the bus, spent time with my own friends only. I think I was bullied because I was autistic, strange, and quiet. I also think the girl in elementary school who bullied me the most was jealous because she went from being my friend when I was in the remedial classes to hating me when I was moved up to the gifted classes she was in I started doing better than her. She was very competitive. I dressed strangely, too, and didn't have good hygiene. As a teen/pre-teen I was awkward looking.

·
Registered
458 Posts
@paper lilies
Yes and at home and outside of school.

Almost, I had 2-3 years with only hardcore teasing? Then of course there was the random encounters with people I had no idea who was yelling my name and something evil & unpleasant.

- Well, I talked shit to them, tried to be humorous about it really... they just kept going.
- Tried to ignore them.
- Asked for help (none to be found apparently).
- Tried to be strong for others.
- Stayed home from school.
- Tried to not go out so much after school.
- Tried to do stuff for my class mates in order for them to like me fx. was at a girls house for 6 hours drawing Pokemon pictures for her and her brother...
- Watched Television all day inside (or played with my ENFP friend in the forest behind our house)
- I drew, read books, comics, tried to stay low...
- I imagined myself being main protagonist in books such as Mathilda and Harry Potter. Wishing that I could do magic and that I would be taken away from the place I was put in life.

Well 2 of the schools I went to was just for the sake of bullying really.Unfortunately (for me):
-the other people who got bullied moved school (or wont as responsive as I) and I became main target.
- My teacher openly pointed me out as an oddball
- My parents were poor and I wore shredded and worn out clothes
- We lived in small island communities where you had to present yourself as "bourgeois" so to speak.
- I was behind in class, because I had went to a independent school. (Got up to date quickly, but never believed I was smart, since that was the attitude I got. Not until 9th grade that I realized that I was not below average, but actually close to above, not until recently that I've started to believe that I'm a bit more than above average, my lack of confidence has held me back, as well as bullying family members)

It's rather hilarious since my grandmother tried to get rid of the Jante Law within my family (my mother preached it as well), but somehow I got to be a victim of it in every possible way. Here goes:

THE JANTE LAW said:
The ten rules state:
Don't think you're anything special.
Don't think you're as good as us.
Don't think you're smarter than us.
Don't convince yourself that you're better than us.
Don't think you know more than us.
Don't think you are more important than us.
Don't think you are good at anything.
Don't laugh at us.
Don't think anyone cares about you.
Don't think you can teach us anything.
[EDIT]
If not bullied, then overlooked/ignored. Whatever you call it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
A few question for all the NF's:
1) Yes
2) Off an on throughout elementary school.
3) I compensated by making my home life as comfortable as possible and living in my own dream world while at school.
4)I was hella awkward. I wasn't a good dresser, I was shy, geeky, and very tall for a girl. It wasn't until High school that I went from ugly duckling to swan.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was homeschooled, no bullyng. I just felt painfully left out of everything among the peers I actually had in my extra-curricular activities, until I learned to not give a shit (which took longer than I would like).

Reactions: paper lilies

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
Yes, I was.

Pretty much my whole school experience.

I cried a lot and tried to avoid school. That wasn't hard because I became anxious about going to school and got tummy aches. My mom finally figured out what was going on and she sent me to school when I said that I wasn't feeling well. One time, I managed to get really sick in school and was sent home.

Why do you think you were bullied?
I was very small for my age and kids liked bullying little ones. Also, I had an undiagnosed learning disability (auditory processing disorder), and I was constantly overstimulated.

Was there a reason or were they just bullying for the sake of bullying?
I was an easy target. Bullies love that.

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
If you're an extrovert, as I am, being ignored is just as bad as being bullied. There is nothing worse than being treated as if you don't exist.

Being ignored is the lesser of two evils, I'd say. Because I was so quiet, people tended to ignore me. But I'd rather have that than bullying.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts