Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DISCUSSING WHETHER... IT'S POSSIBLE TO SWITCH PERSONALITY TYPES. Please leave that debate out.

For those of you that believe that your personality type can change as you grow up, what personality do you think you used to be and why? Why do you think you changed?

I am no doubt and ENFP today. I used to be an INFJ. The two biggest things that have changed about me are that now I prefer to be around people/express my intuitive side outwardly and now I am percieving (prefer sponaninity to plans).

This is the graph of INFJ. When I became ENFP, everything just switched sides. You'll see when you look at the next picture...

vvv Below is ENFP (sorry if the pictures don't show up in the right spots. I've never posted pictures before)

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
You can't make a thread like this and expect a lot of people to comment. I think there are probably too many people with opinions on the other side. Who knows though, a lot more people may agree with you than I think! Out of curiosity, why don't you want to discuss the other perspective?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
In full recognition of the big bold red text at the top of your thread... I'm going to come in here anyway.

I'm not going to say your personality type can't change. I'm going to say that your personality type as it is defined by MBTI and Jungian theory and all related materials cannot change without something as severe as PTSD, which literally alters your brain chemistry. This is confirmed via research of articles, observation, and asking a psychiatrist in the course of legitimately studying the theory.

Now, that being said, I did say that I wasn't going to say that your personality type can't change. What I'm going to qualify that statement with now is that your personality type can change *by vernacular definitions*. Your personality as people would use the word in everyday conversation, outside of the constrained scope of MBTI/Jung, depends on many factors, not all of which are a part of Jungian typology. There is of course your life experiences, the circumstances in which you were raised and grew up, the various developmental factors you encountered in your life, as well as things like Enneagram, which, while I'm less familiar with it, describes a different part of the personality that as far as I can gleam, deals with insecurities as motivations.

I could enumerate more vernacular personality descriptors, but that's not really my point. The point is that MBTI/Jungian typology covers a very specific set of behavior and thought processes in its scope and definition. These do not change as you age or as things happen in your life. You can become unhealthy and the resulting behavior can be confusingly deceptive internally, but is almost always visible as you being 'out of place' to an onlooker. I could sit here and tell you it's just in the definition, because it is, but I wouldn't unless I really believed it to be the case, and I do, because all observation has supported it.

I'll now qualify all statements by remarking that MBTI/Jungian typology is not a medical science but an observational one, and as such was probably defined as what 'made sense' as opposed to something particularly measurable. The fuzziness in its definition therefore allows some consideration and should be recognized before rigidly closing minds...... but personally... as I said... my observations agree with the theory here, not an ability to change types.

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In full recognition of the big bold red text at the top of your thread... I'm going to come in here anyway.

I'm not going to say your personality type can't change. I'm going to say that your personality type as it is defined by MBTI and Jungian theory and all related materials cannot change without something as severe as PTSD, which literally alters your brain chemistry. This is confirmed via research of articles, observation, and asking a psychiatrist in the course of legitimately studying the theory.

Now, that being said, I did say that I wasn't going to say that your personality type can't change. What I'm going to qualify that statement with now is that your personality type can change *by vernacular definitions*. Your personality as people would use the word in everyday conversation, outside of the constrained scope of MBTI/Jung, depends on many factors, not all of which are a part of Jungian typology. There is of course your life experiences, the circumstances in which you were raised and grew up, the various developmental factors you encountered in your life, as well as things like Enneagram, which, while I'm less familiar with it, describes a different part of the personality that as far as I can gleam, deals with insecurities as motivations.

I could enumerate more vernacular personality descriptors, but that's not really my point. The point is that MBTI/Jungian typology covers a very specific set of behavior and thought processes in its scope and definition. These do not change as you age or as things happen in your life. You can become unhealthy and the resulting behavior can be confusingly deceptive internally, but is almost always visible as you being 'out of place' to an onlooker. I could sit here and tell you it's just in the definition, because it is, but I wouldn't unless I really believed it to be the case, and I do, because all observation has supported it.

I'll now qualify all statements by remarking that MBTI/Jungian typology is not a medical science but an observational one, and as such was probably defined as what 'made sense' as opposed to something particularly measurable. The fuzziness in its definition therefore allows some consideration and should be recognized before rigidly closing minds...... but personally... as I said... my observations agree with the theory here, not an ability to change types.
I respect that. For (for lack of a better word) religious reasons I believe that it's possible to change personalities even in the absense of a disorder like the one you meantioned (PTSD).

@Ace Face
I know that most people believe that you can't switch personalities. It's for that reason that I asked people not to comment on whether you can or can't. I knew that once I started this thread it would ultamitely turn into that debate regardless just because of the nature of such a controversial subject. Plus I want people who believe personalities can change to feel comfortable saying so.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Well I mostly skimmed over that because of all the big words lol but I think I'm a perfect example of what it meant ... I thought I was ENTP for like 12 years. Now I'm ENFP. I don't think I changed because looking back, its obvious now I was always an F. But due to my insecurities and desires of how others viewed me I convinced myself I was a T and convinced (at least some) others too. Now I am happy in my authentic self! :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I've never been a different type, I've always been an ENFP. Any changes in me have been as a result of normal growth and development for an ENFP, along with my own personal life experiences, influences, and environment.

Religious beliefs can impact a personality change, but at the core of the person, they still think the same. For instance, my Mom is an ENTJ, but she comes across as an ISFP. This is because she said when she found God, she decided that she wasn't living as the person he wanted her to be. She felt she needed to be better (her perspective), therfore, she made a conscious effort to change.

She said for several years it was a lot of work, and then it just became natural for her. However, even though she is now a soft spoken, extremely empathetic, apologetic person who is fine with the here and now, she is still an ENTJ. You can see it when you look hard enough. For instance, the way she will say "Hey! Don't you dare, I don't like smashed groceries" as a knee-jerk reaction to the bagger about to put something heavy on top of her bread. After she says it, you see the look on her face that says "oops, I lost control".

Also, the way she approaches a problem, the way she thinks...it's all still ENTJ; she just lives for God now (her perception of what he wants her to be) and in doing so, I believe she has strongly developed her Fi...that's why it feels natural for her now.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I'd also like to add onto the influences part of my last response...I was raised by 2 ENTJ parents...I'm ENFP. I picked up on many of their ways, just because it was what I was raised with; for instance, my Mom's system of organizing and categorizing things. I'm not the greatest at maintaining the organization, but when I go though and organize things, I can make the jaws drop on even the most organized people, haha! I categorize, systemize, and organize everything. This is not typical for most ENFP's, but I was greatly influenced by Te doms. At the same time, I picked up on other things that suppressed pieces of who I am naturally...for example, I gave up art and many of my interests for a more lucrative career (per my parents, and the only way they were willing to pay my tuition). I ended up miserable, and now at 30 years old, I find myself digging up my buried passions.

Oddly enough, my biggest cheerleaders at this time in my life are my Parents. They too have grown and changed in ways (possibly from the influence of having all "feeler" children), and tell me to follow my passions because it's who I am. We live, learn, influence others, are influenced by others, grow, and we change...but, we still have the same core thought process. That's my opinion on it at least. Perhaps you were always ENFP and you had influences that made you pick up some INFJ traits, or vice versa?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there might be something to this, and that I think I may be going through a type change of some kind. However, in this case, if it's happening at all, it's chemically driven.

For most of the past 15 years (basically since my late 20s) I have taken medication for ADHD. I got my ADHD diagnosis as an adult. I have been taking either methylphenidate (Ritalin) or amphetamine salts (Adderall) since then. Until 3 months ago, when I decided I was sick to death of taking it and wanted to see if I could function without it.

One thing stimulants do (especially amphetamines) is make you very outgoing. Now, even when I was on Adderall, I was still one of the more introverted ENFPs out there. When I stopped taking it, I became even more of a hermit than I was. Interestingly, though, I was a lot more relaxed when talking to people. One thing that got me to come back to PerC (other than really missing you all) was that I thought I might actually have been an INFP on speed. And, in fact, I did test as an INFP, but I was always weak on E, and the INFP description just didn't sound as much like me as the ENFP one did. Plus I read the INFP forum and just couldn't relate.

When @KokuroNya posted those two diagrams, it made me wonder if flipping the I/E would result, not in a reordering that gives you INFP/ENFP, but in a redirection of the other functions to produce INFJ/ENFP. The question, then, is why didn't I test as an INFJ instead of an INFP. Then it hit me: I have ADHD. So for me, P/J is not just my preference, but also affected by my abilities. I retook the test, this time rephrasing P/J questions to reflect which things made me happier, rather than which things I usually do. The result: INFJ.

Now, I'm still not sure this is valid. I feel torn between the two types, I feel like I still have a lot of ENFP things about me. But I wonder if my brain chemistry is still changing, and if I may be shifting over to INFJ over time. When I read the INFJ descriptions out there and read some of the posts on the INFJ forum, it started to feel right. It didn't feel that way six months ago.

Now, you could say that I always was "really" an introvert, and that I had just been acting like an extravert due to the medication. But I think I really was an extravert then. I liked doing extravert things. Now, gradually, not so much. And the thing is, brain chemistry can change for lots of reasons, so I could see numerous cases where people might go through a personality change without any kind of pharmaceutical interference.

I don't think it's right to deny someone's very real internal experience, which the rest of us can't ever really know, just because of theoretical dogma. Personality is not well studied, and MBTI itself is at best a loose approximation of what's really happening. If KokuroNya says her type changed then I'm going to take her word for it. I may have to relabel myself soon, too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't believe I've ever truly been another personality. That being said- there was a time when I tested as a different personality type; which I attribute to what I was going through made me answer the test questions differently than I would have, if I had taken it at another time.

I tested as an INFJ when I was sixteen, and going through a bout of major depression. I took the test again at twenty and tested as an ENFP. Doing more research, I have no doubt that I've always been an ENFP.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there might be something to this, and that I think I may be going through a type change of some kind. However, in this case, if it's happening at all, it's chemically driven.

For most of the past 15 years (basically since my late 20s) I have taken medication for ADHD. I got my ADHD diagnosis as an adult. I have been taking either methylphenidate (Ritalin) or amphetamine salts (Adderall) since then. Until 3 months ago, when I decided I was sick to death of taking it and wanted to see if I could function without it.

One thing stimulants do (especially amphetamines) is make you very outgoing. Now, even when I was on Adderall, I was still one of the more introverted ENFPs out there. When I stopped taking it, I became even more of a hermit than I was. Interestingly, though, I was a lot more relaxed when talking to people. One thing that got me to come back to PerC (other than really missing you all) was that I thought I might actually have been an INFP on speed. And, in fact, I did test as an INFP, but I was always weak on E, and the INFP description just didn't sound as much like me as the ENFP one did. Plus I read the INFP forum and just couldn't relate.

When @KokuroNya posted those two diagrams, it made me wonder if flipping the I/E would result, not in a reordering that gives you INFP/ENFP, but in a redirection of the other functions to produce INFJ/ENFP. The question, then, is why didn't I test as an INFJ instead of an INFP. Then it hit me: I have ADHD. So for me, P/J is not just my preference, but also affected by my abilities. I retook the test, this time rephrasing P/J questions to reflect which things made me happier, rather than which things I usually do. The result: INFJ.

Now, I'm still not sure this is valid. I feel torn between the two types, I feel like I still have a lot of ENFP things about me. But I wonder if my brain chemistry is still changing, and if I may be shifting over to INFJ over time. When I read the INFJ descriptions out there and read some of the posts on the INFJ forum, it started to feel right. It didn't feel that way six months ago.

Now, you could say that I always was "really" an introvert, and that I had just been acting like an extravert due to the medication. But I think I really was an extravert then. I liked doing extravert things. Now, gradually, not so much. And the thing is, brain chemistry can change for lots of reasons, so I could see numerous cases where people might go through a personality change without any kind of pharmaceutical interference.

I don't think it's right to deny someone's very real internal experience, which the rest of us can't ever really know, just because of theoretical dogma. Personality is not well studied, and MBTI itself is at best a loose approximation of what's really happening. If KokuroNya says her type changed then I'm going to take her word for it. I may have to relabel myself soon, too.
Not sure if you've seen this, but it helped me make sense of many of the things I have been going through...

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/91932-phases-enfp-growth.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
pretty sure i was a young infp, could still be one though since developing Ne can really be confusing. it's like WOOOO I LOVE HAVING NE AS MY FIRST FUNCTION. and then fi gets mad and is like okay shut up and stop drawing attention to yourself time to be a hermit crab.

·
Registered
541 Posts
@My Sweet Stalin I can see the INFP possibility, but INFJs are very different function wise and I see alot of Ne and Fi in you. Do you really think you're actually Ni>Fe?
I really don't know; it's something I hadn't even considered until I saw the way INFJ is sort of a mirror image of ENFP along the I/E axis. Ne and Ni are both really high for me; I can't remember what Fi/Fe did, I'll have to check. The whole thing is a big maybe. You didn't expect me to be certain, did you? ;) Oh dear, maybe that is the P talking.

Not sure if you've seen this, but it helped me make sense of many of the things I have been going through...

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/91932-phases-enfp-growth.html
Thanks, checking it out now.

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello again everyone! :)

@My Sweet Stalin
Thanks for your post! I'm not the only one. :) For me I think it has more to do with VERY strict/obsessively controlling parents. As I got older, I resented the control more and more until eventually I was completely Ne dominant. In my opinion personality has not only to do with brain chemistry but also external influences.

I feel so bad for saying this, but I'm declaring that I'm completely indesicive about what I am/was. I looked at the ENTP cognitive functions a few days ago, and that makes a bit more sense than the ENFP functions. I've also decided that I was not INFJ like I thought I was.

I'm still considering the possibility that I have not always had my current personality. Hopefully I'll soon decide what my personality(s) is/are/were.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been an enfp since I was taking the test at 14. I take it every year, because in the book that I originally took the test in, it stated that as people grow older your personality can change, or become more defined. I have noticed that as I've gotten older I have stayed the same type code, but, instead of being 80% e n f and p 20% I s t and j, its become more balanced 60 40 which is something I like.

Reactions: My Sweet Stalin
1 - 20 of 33 Posts