Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or just more extraverted?
When I was in fourth grade, I was some sort of trendsetter, and I was somewhat witty, so I became, as a result, sort of "popular."
It was really strange, for one thing, because I was very introverted and I didn't go over to anybody's house, I didn't wear the most fashionable clothes, I didn't play any sports, I'm not exceptionally cute or pretty...
So, was there ever a point in time where you became somewhat "popular," or just more extraverted?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never been exceptionally popular but I was and still am a definite part of the group, so to speak. And I had no problem making friends, but then I, and others, became more picky as we grew up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't think I've ever been popular, ask my friends and they may say differently but I'd in lue use the words "well known". I was cool with nearly every group in Jr. High and High School, I was in with the smart kids, in with the skater crowd, the trouble makers, the actual popular kids, the musicians, the sports enthusiasts, and most of all, the geeks. And in Elementary School, I was too a trend setter, it was not okay with our school to wear camouflage, so naturally, in fifth grade I did so as my own little rebellion and for whatever reason never got in trouble for it. I presume because they thought I couldn't be bothered. But then, before I know it everybody is wearing camo ALL THE TIME and no one is getting in trouble, it was so weird. Also, in the fourth grade I set a trend with a specific hair style. But ya, not popular, just well known. And I actually hated it this way, I always wanted to switch schools.

Reactions: Haze

·
Banned
395 Posts
Actually, yes. In small groups, usually.

The largest social circle in which I was popular was the youth volunteers at Red Cross. It was fun at first, until I attracted a psycho bitch. I went back into my shell after that.

edit: This was middle school-high school sophomore age. I'm lame now.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yeah, I'm some what popular. I follow a bunch of activities at my college, also I studied tarot cards exclusively so I could interact with various people.
In elementary I was actually very loud and energetic, but I think this is corellated with the fact my elementary school only have a few students. In my classroom were only 17 students, others have only 6 or 10, 13.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
In my youth, with school or extracurricular activities and even volunteering... I was pretty much a loner and a bit of an outcast. I did fall or infiltrate my way into a couple social cliques, but I've never really had that many friends that were my age or local. Overall I probably would have defined myself as being a social wallflower....

**although I was seemingly more outgoing by being involved in several social activities (team sports, performance arts, and clubs.).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm an introvert, but I can act like I'm not, that's probably why I was popular in high school. But I knew it was not ok, I was popular for something I haven't been strugling to get, I had it since I was born. That's a sad picture of the society we live in.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm an introvert, but I can act like I'm not, that's probably why I was popular in high school. But I knew it was not ok, I was popular for something I haven't been strugling to get, I had it since I was born. That's a sad picture of the society we live in.

Are you saying that you didn't like the fact you were popular? Because of how other people perceived you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I was in fourth grade, I was some sort of trendsetter, and I was somewhat witty, so I became, as a result, sort of "popular."
I was also fairly popular in 4th grade for some odd reason...I basically thought it was cool to be weird, and people actually seemed to like that, so I guess you could say I was some sort of "trendsetter" as well...but it all went downhill from there. Especially after I moved to Southern California. Dear god, the superficiality. D:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was never really popular until college. I'm not really "popular"-popular, just very well known and generally well-liked. It was weird... I was hit really late by the puberty bus and started to finally grow into myself by my senior year of high school and then everyone started to want to hang out with me. It kind of scared me and I ended up withdrawing into myself and becoming a sort of "surface"-person if that makes sense. I hated it haha. Everyone expected me to be something I wasnt and when I got to college, people made assumptions about me that werent true...

Its a lot better now though. People have figured me out a little more and Im a lot more comfortable with how Im perceived.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I'm pretty popular in college now. Up until 5th grade I was popular, but then I was dethroned, as I said though, after I left high school people started to like me again... small schools suck:sad:

...small colleges are ok, for now anyways...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Or just more extraverted?
It was really strange, for one thing, because I was very introverted and I didn't go over to anybody's house, I didn't wear the most fashionable clothes, I didn't play any sports, I'm not exceptionally cute or pretty...
So, was there ever a point in time where you became somewhat "popular," or just more extraverted?
Heh, no. Eventually, I just became so geeky that I became cool coming the other way. (One of my students complimented me on my "unashamedly nerdiness.") Fortunately, the sports teams at my high school sucked, with the possible exception of girls' golf, so the geeks were pretty much left alone, and we formed our own clique.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If I'm in a specific place for a long period of time (more than three years) I start to develop relationships and it seems as if I'm popular... but it's just that more people get to know me.
But I wouldn't say that I was popular ... because I didn't have many (real & close) friends, there were just a larger number of people who knew my name.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
In high school I got along with everybody and hung out mostly with music kids and burnouts. I spent most of my time reading and messing with computers.

If having to step through bodies sleeping in your living room to get out the door to work counts, I guess have been "popular"...

Still, those weren't "popular" people in the high school sense of the term who'd fall asleep at my apartment. They were mostly the exact opposite of that (when you find yourself at a lot of gallery openings and exhibitions, you're exactly the type of person who probably wasn't "popular"). But within a certain group of people, I have a lot of friends. In the past, I made an effort to be friendly with a lot of superweird and interesting people in my old neighborhood, because they were pretty inspiring to be around.

I found/find it really draining and didn't care to keep up with that lifestyle, though. Analyzing data comes more naturally.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This is the most extroverted I've ever been in my life. But I have never been at a school where popularity was really a thing (at least not that I can recall) so... no popular points for me. :sad:

I do know a lot of people, but that's probably because I make friends relatively easily and I move jobs/schools/locations rather frequently. Easier to meet people if you keep changing your peoplesphere.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've never been popular, but I've always been widely known...in a notorious kind of way.

Most people never liked me because (I'm told) I was either seen as intimidating, or no one ever understood my thought process...or, from my experience, I was always so quiet that they thought I had some kind of mental deficiency (surprised many a math class in my day :p).

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
At high school I was part of the smart rebellious group. It was such a diverse group (we had it all), like a less jock-preppy version of The Breakfast Club. It wasn't the popular crowd, but I noticed that it tended to set trends that the popular crowd would follow months later. The people in it were mainly thinkers. I always was a one-on-one person and very uncomfortable with the Fe component. People seem to want to engage with me (mostly INFJs), but even now I'm not much good at that on an ongoing basis as I find the Fe logistics a little exhausting.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts