Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really struggle with organization and keeping my apartment neat. I hate that people have to call me a couple of hours in advance if they are coming over because I don't want anyone to see my house messy (thank you mom aka Mrs. Whiteglove for giving me this complex). When I do have company coming it's always this huge effort to get my place into shape and I'm usually anxious just from the stress of doing it. When the structure is there though I can follow it pretty good but that structure has to be there because left to my own devices I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings. Ironically though, I do actually being a neat and orderly environment. The thought of doing it regularly without having someone other than myself to do it for kind of overwhelms me sometimes. I just don't seem to be able to get out of my head enough to create it for myself. So I'm wondering, has anyone here mastered this and managed to turn it around without someone being close by to keep the structure intact?

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Nowadays I think stuff in the garbage and generally never take things out of storage spaces. That doesn't imply storage is organized but the outward appearance of my room is uncluttered. As a kid I would throw all of my garbage behind my bed, squeeze out semi-fluid candies and paste them on my the walls behind my bed. It was great I really didn't care back then at all. Now I'm weird, I get annoyed when some dirt gets on my shoes, very annoying.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I never have anybody over so I never clean anything. It is getting to the point where I am honestly disgusted by my own living habits, but will I ever clean it? Probably not till I move. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My parents gave up on that. They will occasionally say something like "you need to clean your room", but after five months they will just clean it themselves (or at least make it possible to get from the door to my bed, without having to step on a lot of things). I also tend to forget food and dishes in my room, and I always have at least twenty empty bottles of Pepsi Max.

I never have visitors, so it's not a problem. I would like to have a clean and tidy room, but I know it would never last. I have too many things, and I can't make myself throw anything away, so even though I have big rooms (my parents are divorced), they are filled with stuff.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I really struggle with organization and keeping my apartment neat. I hate that people have to call me a couple of hours in advance if they are coming over because I don't want anyone to see my house messy (thank you mom aka Mrs. Whiteglove for giving me this complex). When I do have company coming it's always this huge effort to get my place into shape and I'm usually anxious just from the stress of doing it. When the structure is there though I can follow it pretty good but that structure has to be there because left to my own devices I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings. Ironically though, I do actually being a neat and orderly environment. The thought of doing it regularly without having someone other than myself to do it for kind of overwhelms me sometimes. I just don't seem to be able to get out of my head enough to create it for myself. So I'm wondering, has anyone here mastered this and managed to turn it around without someone being close by to keep the structure intact?
I'm almost the opposite. I prefer a highly functional, visually appealing environment that's easy to live in. When I am alone I make that happen, it's a fairly straightforward process. However, when someone else is around I tend to respect what I assume is their style and preference. If they are a slob then things go down hill fast.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,554 Posts
Yeah my mastery comes from the the fact that I don't want to be a slob so I clean my house if it gets dirty.

I do better alone because I eliminate items which I view as clutter and only have things I need. That way if it gets dirty like say dishes - I don't have dishes to eat on so I have no choice but to wash them. I don't keep anything I don't use because I think it's stupid to use up space for stuff pointlessly.

When I live with someone who is messy I get defeated easily if they are dirty. I also hate being told to clean so I will avoid doing so in spite. Although if I lived with someone who used cleaning house as activity we do together I think it'd be the best method.

Unlike some I grew up in a household with a clutter-filled, borderline hoarder parent. I don't want to be like her she keeps so much garbage around. I am not a neat freak but I definitely hate small clutter filled spaces. My house style is minimalism... like so:

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I have what I call "organized chaos." I have of papers and notes that appear chaotic to others, but I know where everything is and what is what.

Don't mess with my system. It works for me.

Regarding cleanliness - YES. No dust, not a lot of clutter, and I HAVE to have clean floors, always.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned for awhile tonight but then found the pack of cigarettes I was looking for so stopped. In fairness to myself I have been working a lot more hours lately plus trying to make other healthy lifestyle changes so thy domestic work is suffering more. Maybe I should just throw myself into my work and hire a maid.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I cleaned for awhile tonight but then found the pack of cigarettes I was looking for so stopped. In fairness to myself I have been working a lot more hours lately plus trying to make other healthy lifestyle changes so thy domestic work is suffering more. Maybe I should just throw myself into my work and hire a maid.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I have a problem with consistency.

I can keep up for a few months and be a perfectly productive person. And then other times I can be just terrible.

I tend to keep things picked up. But am not too great at the in-depth cleaning like, dust bunnies, scrubbing. Surface clean tho I must because I hate clutter like wrappers and cans/bottles sitting around.

But my sisters go looking for which closet I hid all the clothes in (lol)
Also further more I refuse to fold or hang clothes. (why they will just come down again anyways). Clothes are usually clean but I like to just throw them in bins. I have a scrubs bin, a pj/sweats bin, and a bin with all my dress clothes (what do I do when I need unwrinkled clothes people ask, well I throw them in a dryer, but usually I just don't care). My daughters each have a bin. My eldest chooses to hang her stuff and put in dresser.

My mom stopped by this morning for the first time in 8 months and seen my place and there was a pile of clothes on the floor. (all clean) and she said to my daughters "your mother will never change" (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). I always assumed I detested cleaning because she is such a psycho. I am very capable of doing military style cleaning she used to make me scrub with tooth brushes around crevices.

Anyways if someone just walked into my apartment and glanced it would appear I am very clean. I have a hotel lobby sort of decor. But if they look close they would be like ew.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have thrown away plates before because I don't feel like washing them.
I've also made PB&J on an ironing board. I did not, however try and toast the bread with the iron.
To compensate for the smell of throwing chicken carcasses in the freezer, I'll use a combination of cinnamon scented candles and Febreze.
I am hopelessly, hopelessly messy. Part of it is that the dumpster next to the apartment complex gets full the day after the city finally comes by to empty it. Plus during the summer it's a fucking beehive.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Speaking of messiness and maids, I owned a cleaning business, and I have stories that would make your skin crawl.

I doubt any of you are "serial killer messy" like I've seen, if that is any consolation.

*shivers*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts