Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wake up this morning, and retrieve the morning newspaper from the lawn outside (where else would a lawn be, duhh). I'm perusing through the ads, to see which grocery store I shall do my weekly shopping at, and I gasp in amazement, as I see....

CORN DOGS!

They weren't on sale. The store just had them. I haven't a corn dog in like 6 years! My thoughts turned to earlier times; of fairs and carnivals. Ya see, here in Costa Rica, some common American foods just don't exist. And corn dogs are one of them. True, one grocery store chain carries those nasty fake veggie corn dogs, but those don't count. Soybeans overly processed and shaped until they resemble a meat product, still does not make it a meat product, regardless of what vegetarians say.

Soooo, my wife and I leave the house (sans shower, because I had the belief that other Americans were going to go to the same store and buy up all the corndogs before me). We get to the store, and I rush to the frozen food section only to find ... there's no corn dogs! I probably felt the same way when I found out that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny were just figments of my parent's imagination (the damn liars!). Talk about a major bum :(

Oh well, at least they were giving away samples of this cheap nasty vodka. After a few samples, it lessened the pain.

That's all, have a good evening.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have never tried to do it, but I would think that you may find a good corn dog recipe on the web. I wouldn't think it would not be that hard to make some pretty good ones, but again I am just guessing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah I guess I could make them myself, but I'm too lazy to do that. I just want to take them out of the box and stick em in the oven.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yah I guess I could make them myself, but I'm too lazy to do that. I just want to take them out of the box and stick em in the oven.

Perhaps it's good that we don't export American laziness/convenience to these other countries, clearly they can do without it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
While I am deeply saddened my your plight I just sit here staring at the screen trying to find the right words. It's times like this when someone just needs a hug or a few kind words that I feel so inadequate as a human being.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know how it is. I am in Spain right now and was having a shitty day the other day, so I went to Burger King to drown my sorrows in the American Dream. However it was the fucking nastiest fast food I've ever had. The bread was stale, the lettuce withered and dry, the fries were like cardboard. I don't understand why because earlier than that I had some BK and it was fucking delicious, but then again I was high at the time, so...

I miss chili cheese fries and ranch dressing. :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
Really don't know what I would be missing here.

But I guess if I was in the back of beyond with only bread and rice and the local expat shop ran out of Marmite, I'd probably feel the same.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry, but this is so ridiculous it's amazing. :crazy:
I suppose that I wouldn't expect a person to understand, unless they have the rationale to place themselves into the other person's shoes, and experience what they have experiencing.

Imagine that you decided to move to another country. In doing so, you will always miss certain comforts, regardless of what they are. You might miss watching some TV shows that you like. You might miss certain foods, or certain beverages, or the cost of certain items, etc. I'm sure you get my point.

So, when any one of the above items presents themselves to you, when you haven't been able to have them for years and years, excitement should come into play. It brings along with it memories, which are usually more exciting than the actual moment. I'm sure a corn dog would taste nothing what I remember them tasting at fairs/carnivals when I would go as a child.

Regardless, I'm sure if you actually closed your eyes, and imagined being in such a situation, you would no longer consider this ridicuous. That's all, carry on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I suppose that I wouldn't expect a person to understand, unless they have the rationale to place themselves into the other person's shoes, and experience what they have experiencing.

Imagine that you decided to move to another country. In doing so, you will always miss certain comforts, regardless of what they are. You might miss watching some TV shows that you like. You might miss certain foods, or certain beverages, or the cost of certain items, etc. I'm sure you get my point.

So, when any one of the above items presents themselves to you, when you haven't been able to have them for years and years, excitement should come into play. It brings along with it memories, which are usually more exciting than the actual moment. I'm sure a corn dog would taste nothing what I remember them tasting at fairs/carnivals when I would go as a child.

Regardless, I'm sure if you actually closed your eyes, and imagined being in such a situation, you would no longer consider this ridicuous. That's all, carry on.
I can understand your point of view and how dissapointing this must have been for you, but I think it was just the fact that it was corndogs. I apologize.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
hm, cornchilidogs. or chilicorndogs. do they exist?

(I'm sorry you were disappointed.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts