Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says: what's your current profession and how do you see work in general?

What would be the perfect way career wise for you? Can you imagine to work in an office from 9 to 5? And how do you balance work and family?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm still in highschool, senior year though and I have no definite career path. Some careers I'm thinking of are Public relations, marketing and pharmacy/chemistry

I feel that if I go on pharmacy/chemistry then I'll be doing something for the world, I'll be considered a scientist, a smart guy whom everybody will ask advice'n'stuff, but I don't really enjoy it, I mean I like chemistry, but it feels just too much to learn, you have to remember all the tiny little things ALWAYS and I my Si is god damn worst one ever! On the other hand Public relations and marketing would make me happy, I like talking to people and communicating, but on the other hand I'll feel that I'm doing nothing scientish for the world and just trying to drain as much money as I possibly can.

TL;DR Wanna be a scientist, too lazy to work hard, what can I do?!

On the relevant note. I'd like to work in free environment.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Favorite jobs so far have been:
Tattoo artist
Martial arts teacher
Homeless surf bum (yes I consider that a job)

Currently I run a computer repair department

I'm training and going to school to learn Chinese and get certified to teach English over in Taiwan. I should be there by sometime next year.

As far as I'm concerned though I don't think there IS a perfect career. I've enjoys learning things from every job I've ever had. I've stacked up SO many skills from the experiences. But I don't want to ever HAVE to work. I like to come and go as I please, research whatever I feel like at that given moment, and experiment however I see fit. I think "job nomad" fits me best until I'm independently wealthy and can do whatever the hell I want.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have been :
Taekwondo Instructor
Subway Sandwich Artîst
Maybe like... a wilderness first responder in the future. I hear you can grab a job almost anywhere with that certification, and travel alot.

I would hate a career that tied me down. I have no professional goals. I prefer highly unstructured jobs. Job Nomad is a great term, Psyphon.

Reactions: n.yumikim

·
Registered
953 Posts
What you find within ENTPs as well as all personality types is that some people prefer to make work their life whereas others prefer to work so that they have enough money to do other stuff that they like. I'm the former. I want to create value and ultimately want the world to need me.

Money is a strong motivation for me, but not the only one. I want to change the world for the better so that I have a legacy.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My career:

Accounting clerk (bleghhhh)
Machinist mate (engineering lab tech actually, which means I did chemistry and radiological controls)
Bouncer/building manager/engineering coop (at the same time..)
Chemical Engineer.

I love my engineering job. I have great flexibility to do what I want, in the way I want. Overall, my aim is to eventually be in charge of this water plant (the world's largest, btw), but now that I have a family, they're more the priority, so I'll probably stay in the current job for a while longer. I wouldn't mind working days, but being onshift means more time with the daughter, so that's the way I go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had crap low paying jobs and that is it, I don't expect much else from being 18. The history of career paths I have wanted to explore go like so:

Paleontologist
(Age 3 to Age 16)

Comic Book Artist/Writer
(Age 16-Age 16 1/2)

Actor
(Age 16 1/2-18)

Primatologist
(Age 18 till now..which is 18 1/2)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I went through a spell of wanting to be a paleoanthropologist when I did my anatomy degree, back before you lot were born. It's cool, go for it.

I'm further on in my life, I'm a medic, always have been, my aim is to retire and become a part-time performance artist (I do storytelling and stand-up) and spend a lot of time loafing. Maybe I will join an archaeological dig or two, it's always hovering in the back there.

Six and half years, and I can do it. Counting.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Right now I'm a elementary school teacher. It's fun and I get to be very creative and the school I'm at doesn't have much politics or people breathing over your shoulder, so I have a lot of freedom to do what I want, which is awesome for me. I can change my plans at the last moment or just not make any plans at all. As long as my kids are learning (which they definitely are), I've got free reign.

Over the summer I'm lower management at an amusement park. It's much more structured and more about pleasing the upper management. There's very little freedom or flexibility. Sometimes it's suffocating and I go in every day afraid I'm going to mess up and they're going to judge me by that one mistake for weeks. But when everything goes as it's supposed to, I love it. I love having a plan and then making it work. Planning is NOT me, so seeing that I can pull off a detailed plan where I'm directing 20 or 30 people and making sure everything goes off without a hitch sort of makes me feel invincible. Like "yeah, I can do the improvising, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants thing, but I can also make and follow this detailed, timed-to-the-second plan, too. I do it all, baby."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Devin, you watch Psych. Makes me like you already :O

·
Banned
459 Posts
ENTP soldiers seem to be pretty rare, if you ask the denizens of the PerC. But that's my occupation.

Work is best when I'm given plenty of leeway to fix a task how I see fit. The more constraints put on me, the worse the results sometimes get(KIM that "a lot" of constraints in the military means a true shitload of constraints). But if I'm simply told "get your men here no later than this DTG with this equipment", I'm the happiest pair of boots anywhere in the dirt.

I'm also happiest when I'm absolutely sure of what I'm doing. Routine things like winter warfare lectures, bringing the blokes to the shooting range or simple field manoeuvers, where I can just sod onwards and let my mind wander a bit. If there's a lot of details that I'm unfamiliar with, I don't necessarily do bad work, but it annoys me that I have to "replace" my Ti with my Se, so to speak.

I intend to carry on with my work for as long as possible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I want to have a job where I can travel a lot. I don't want to do the same thing everyday. That gets boring real quick.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have always been in sales and will probably be in sales in shape, form, or fashion. I am a strategiest, a consultant, a manager, and a technology evangelist. Next steps revolve around me taking a more senior leadership role. I enjoy traveling and working with people. I have several ideas that I will continue to foster and grow and seek out some interest with a VC in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts