Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I regularly test ISTJ and INTJ
2. I am NOT concerned about privacy, I don't hide anything...
if you ask, I'll tell you my weight, age, financial status, anything at all...
3. I'm not easily embarrassed
4. I don't "get the drift", things often have to be explained
(I like documentaries more than dramas)
5. When asked, my friends and family describe me as an Extrovert.
(Really? have you met me???)
They think I'd be good at Sales (ICK!) or Teaching (too draining)
6. I can listen to the same CD over and over without getting bored with it or tired of it
7. Higher than average IQ, but not nearly genius
8. I have often been described as intimidating.. Even older people call me Miss [my name].
9. I have often been described as the quintessential policeman
(Rules are rules and should be followed)
10. I have to understand WHY... It has to make sense
11. I am usually late for work but never late for anything else
12. I hate being the victim of practical jokes
13. I do NOT like having my plans changed
14. I'm bossy but not a good boss - I expect everyone should have the same work ethic I have, but it just ain't so.
15. My desk, office, closet are all very neat
16. Don't mess with my Things
17. I have a hard time getting rid of things that have sentimental memories associated with them
18. Physical appearance is not of great importance... I buy clothes for comfort (wear blue jeans everyday). I want a wash and go hairdo and rarely wear makeup.
19. Not the least bit artistic - can't draw, paint, dance, sing, act very well at all. But I like doing those things. It's fun.
20. Not very competitive - I do things for my own satisfaction, don't care much where I rank compared to others.

Well - what do you all think?
Questions?
Comments?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Penchant,

Yes, I have read several versions of all MBTI types. I most identify with ISTJ with some significant exceptions as noted in my first post. My Dad is a perfect example of ISTJ. He and I seem to me, anyway, to be very different.

Perhaps I am answering the questions based on a lifetime of Dad's influence?

I am 45 years old, and for the last 15 years have been living sort of on auto-pilot... divorced mom of 3 working 2 full time jobs + some part time jobs here an there. It was all I could do to get enough rest, get all my work done and raise my children.

10 years prior to that - I was married to an alcoholic musician- and again, living on auto pilot trying to keep the family running smoothly. (and going to college off and on).

My baby graduates High school in May and will be going off to college. So... now I am trying to really get to know ME. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi........

1. I regularly test ISTJ and INTJ
2. I am NOT concerned about privacy, I don't hide anything...
if you ask, I'll tell you my weight, age, financial status, anything at all...
3. I'm not easily embarrassed
4. I don't "get the drift", things often have to be explained
(I like documentaries more than dramas)
5. When asked, my friends and family describe me as an Extrovert.
(Really? have you met me???)
They think I'd be good at Sales (ICK!) or Teaching (too draining)
6. I can listen to the same CD over and over without getting bored with it or tired of it
7. Higher than average IQ, but not nearly genius
8. I have often been described as intimidating.. Even older people call me Miss [my name].
9. I have often been described as the quintessential policeman
(Rules are rules and should be followed)
10. I have to understand WHY... It has to make sense
11. I am usually late for work but never late for anything else
12. I hate being the victim of practical jokes
13. I do NOT like having my plans changed
14. I'm bossy but not a good boss - I expect everyone should have the same work ethic I have, but it just ain't so.
15. My desk, office, closet are all very neat
16. Don't mess with my Things
17. I have a hard time getting rid of things that have sentimental memories associated with them
18. Physical appearance is not of great importance... I buy clothes for comfort (wear blue jeans everyday). I want a wash and go hairdo and rarely wear makeup.
19. Not the least bit artistic - can't draw, paint, dance, sing, act very well at all. But I like doing those things. It's fun.
20. Not very competitive - I do things for my own satisfaction, don't care much where I rank compared to others.

Well - what do you all think?
Questions?
Comments?
i agree iwith u.............. very nice posts.....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Penchant,

Yes, I have read several versions of all MBTI types. I most identify with ISTJ with some significant exceptions as noted in my first post. My Dad is a perfect example of ISTJ. He and I seem to me, anyway, to be very different.

Perhaps I am answering the questions based on a lifetime of Dad's influence?

I am 45 years old, and for the last 15 years have been living sort of on auto-pilot... divorced mom of 3 working 2 full time jobs + some part time jobs here an there. It was all I could do to get enough rest, get all my work done and raise my children.

10 years prior to that - I was married to an alcoholic musician- and again, living on auto pilot trying to keep the family running smoothly. (and going to college off and on).

My baby graduates High school in May and will be going off to college. So... now I am trying to really get to know ME. :)
What I see in your first most seems to go well with ISTJ in general. Could you point me to what things you think are not ISTJ? :happy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, again, Penchant.
Thanks for replying... I appreciate it! :)

I'll quote a few excerpts from a couple of different ISTJ descriptions and follow with why I don't think it describes me.
they are at typelogic dot com and personalitypage dot com.

"This inferior Ne seems to be a major source of, and a natural breeding ground for, stereotypes." (From Typelogic)
NEVER. I often admonish family and friends for stereotyping. I like observing new people and trying to figure them out. I never judge people based on race, gender, religion, looks or anything else.

"Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ." (From Typelogic)
I am always late for work. But never late for an appointment. If my being late will inconvenience somebody else, I'll be early. Well... I guess this goes to the 'need to understand why' part of my personality. I see no reason to drive thru rush hour to arrive at work at 7:30 when no one is looking for me until about mid morning. 'Hurry-up-and-wait' is one of my pet peeves.

"Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss." (from Typelogic)
"ISTJs are likely to be uncomfortable expressing affection and emotion to others... ...they usually are not comfortable with expressing their love. The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words." (from PersonalityPage)
Not at all. Quite the opposite - I sometimes make people uncomfortable when I express my feelings about them. Now that I think about it, maybe its surprise or shock rather than uncomfortable - maybe because they had no idea that I cared or had an opinion?.... hmmmm... something to think about.

" 'We've always done it this way' is often reason enough for many ISTJs" (from Typelogic)
I HATE this "reasoning".

"...An apple "should" have certain qualities, against which all apples are evaluated. A "proper" chair has four legs..." (from Typelogic)
This is SO my Dad... but not me. I am very open to new and innovative. I'd like to be the inventor/builder/creator of a 3 legged chair, or the cultivator of a blue apple. He always says "should be", "should do", etc... can't see that there is more than one "right" way of being or doing. If its not the way he thinks it should be, then to him, its wrong. I don't see things that way - it's different, not wrong.

"...the ISTJ to resolutely accept that 'we are all doomed.' " (from Typelogic)
No way... I am optimistic to a fault. I always look for the silver lining and always think the best of people and situations. I trust way too easily and do not hold grudges - letting people "back in" when it would be in my best interest to dismiss them from my life forever.

"They may have difficulty understanding a theory or idea which is different from their own perspective." (from PersonalityPage)
Not at all. I like to hear and explore others views and theories.

"The ISTJ is not naturally in tune with their own feelings and the feelings of others." (from PersonalityPage)
Quite the opposite. I am very in tune with my own and others feelings. Too much so at times. If I go to a funeral, for example, where the death was unexpected, I feel the sadness of the family profoundly. I cry easily. I'm very sensitive to others feelings. I "read" people and their moods very easily. I just "feel" it. I can determine and understand the "why" behind people's actions very easily.

"Their homes are likely to be tastefully furnished" (from PersonalityPage)
Family Hand-me-downs are fine with me. My walls are practically bare. I have absolutely no knack for decorating, and don't really care about it... as long as the house is a practical and functional living space, I don't much care what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi, again, Penchant.
Thanks for replying... I appreciate it! :)

I'll quote a few excerpts from a couple of different ISTJ descriptions and follow with why I don't think it describes me.
they are at typelogic dot com and personalitypage dot com.

"This inferior Ne seems to be a major source of, and a natural breeding ground for, stereotypes." (From Typelogic)
NEVER. I often admonish family and friends for stereotyping. I like observing new people and trying to figure them out. I never judge people based on race, gender, religion, looks or anything else.

"Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ." (From Typelogic)
I am always late for work. But never late for an appointment. If my being late will inconvenience somebody else, I'll be early. Well... I guess this goes to the 'need to understand why' part of my personality. I see no reason to drive thru rush hour to arrive at work at 7:30 when no one is looking for me until about mid morning. 'Hurry-up-and-wait' is one of my pet peeves.

"Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss." (from Typelogic)
"ISTJs are likely to be uncomfortable expressing affection and emotion to others... ...they usually are not comfortable with expressing their love. The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words." (from PersonalityPage)
Not at all. Quite the opposite - I sometimes make people uncomfortable when I express my feelings about them. Now that I think about it, maybe its surprise or shock rather than uncomfortable - maybe because they had no idea that I cared or had an opinion?.... hmmmm... something to think about.

" 'We've always done it this way' is often reason enough for many ISTJs" (from Typelogic)
I HATE this "reasoning".

"...An apple "should" have certain qualities, against which all apples are evaluated. A "proper" chair has four legs..." (from Typelogic)
This is SO my Dad... but not me. I am very open to new and innovative. I'd like to be the inventor/builder/creator of a 3 legged chair, or the cultivator of a blue apple. He always says "should be", "should do", etc... can't see that there is more than one "right" way of being or doing. If its not the way he thinks it should be, then to him, its wrong. I don't see things that way - it's different, not wrong.

"...the ISTJ to resolutely accept that 'we are all doomed.' " (from Typelogic)
No way... I am optimistic to a fault. I always look for the silver lining and always think the best of people and situations. I trust way too easily and do not hold grudges - letting people "back in" when it would be in my best interest to dismiss them from my life forever.

"They may have difficulty understanding a theory or idea which is different from their own perspective." (from PersonalityPage)
Not at all. I like to hear and explore others views and theories.

"The ISTJ is not naturally in tune with their own feelings and the feelings of others." (from PersonalityPage)
Quite the opposite. I am very in tune with my own and others feelings. Too much so at times. If I go to a funeral, for example, where the death was unexpected, I feel the sadness of the family profoundly. I cry easily. I'm very sensitive to others feelings. I "read" people and their moods very easily. I just "feel" it. I can determine and understand the "why" behind people's actions very easily.

"Their homes are likely to be tastefully furnished" (from PersonalityPage)
Family Hand-me-downs are fine with me. My walls are practically bare. I have absolutely no knack for decorating, and don't really care about it... as long as the house is a practical and functional living space, I don't much care what it looks like.
Hmm.... Yes I agree, those are some issues with the ISTJ descriptions. Actually it sounds to me like the fact that the ISTJ is stereotyped as practically lacking N and F, and that you don't fit that. Since you were only listing what you disagreed with, it's impossible to tell whether this is due to you being older and more mature than the standard identity searching teenager, and hence having more fully functions, or simply because you are not really an ISTJ but rather N, F or both.

I would like to try two tests with you to see if they could give any insight into the general categorization of your type. The first one is on general work preferences and the other on interaction style. Try both and let me know the results. There is also plenty of information to go with both on what they measure and how it is relevant. Test 1: http://www.notjustapaycheck.com/careerstrength.html; Test 2: Interaction Styles

Edit: Oh, and I will try to remember to get back to comment on the specifics of your posts so far when I think I can make something interesting of it... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit: Oh, and I will try to remember to get back to comment on the specifics of your posts so far when I think I can make something interesting of it... :)
hee hee, I look forward to it. :)

Is this what you need from the first test? Or do you want me to post the WHOLE thing? :)

Test 1 - Career Strength:

The temperament pattern you rated highest:
Improviser: Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact,to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive.Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the actionof the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventureand stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck,and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have the ability to notice and describerich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Are natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.

The temperament pattern you rated second:
Theorist: Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve. Seek to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social or physical sciences.

I will work on the 2nd test and post results later.
(I'm hungry and the Cardiac Cats aka LSU football are demanding my attention at this moment). :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^^ Yup that's great. I'll get back to you for the rest, but tomorrow... :happy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts