Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Arrogance, elitism in all kinds of forms. Which is one of the roots to all destruction.

2) The idea that a highly subjective, personal area of my life should be subjected to excessive validation from any other individual.

I believe in moderation and boundaries :dry:

There should be at least several lines between fulfilling what is entirely personal to me and fulfilling my connections or duties to the outside world. (As in, there should be a balance!)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Bigotry/discrimination/hate, authoritarianism/hierarchy, ignorance (especially willing), self-defeatism/learned helplessness, egocentricism/arrogance/conceit, ventriloquists.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Guys who wear the waist of their jeans around their knees, and pull them slightly up every 2 seconds. I know this isn't really the tone of the thread, but when I read the title this is what came to mind. My ultimate pet peeve. Pet peeve thread!
Get this everywhere around where I am, I saw 3 of them trying to run to catch up with a bus it was quiet amusing haha.

Lots of things annoy me but first one that came to mind, One of the main reasons I rarely use Facebook anymore.

-Enter some form of depressing message-
"what's wrong?"
"Nothing"

............. THEN WHY THE -BEEP- DID YOU PUT THAT THERE?

:frustrating:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When your ISTJ ex's other girl put this petty picture on her profile and for some reason, you can't help but feel it's directed to you;

Talk about petty.

I hope he's not treating you as rebound, he looks dead in his photos with you :crazy:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Entitlement mentality.

The quote that I use all the time is: Just because you're special and talented doesn't obligate the universe to acknowledge this in any way.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Stupidity
Arrogance
Overly energetic ppl, that don't know when to back off :p

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Useless negativity/self-pity and terrible poetry!

Reactions: glisten

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Religious Zelots - it's more like i hate them....hmm hate is such a strong word. I'm not very religious but when someone is actively trying to push their religion on me i get cold and brutal verbally.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,258 Posts
Well I don't know of one thing that I'd say is the MOST annoying, but here are the top things.

Being unsympathetic - the "life's hard, suck it up" mentality makes me really angry. Part of the problem with this is the lack of idealism and optimism. Yes, life is hard, but that doesn't mean that it should be how it is, and it doesn't mean we should just accept it being that way. Another part is the disconnectedness it seems to communicate. In my oppinion, other people's feelings, needs, and misfortunes are your business, and those who are in a better place ought to help those who are hurting. I can understand not liking constant whining and complaining. However, dismissing all communications of distress in a way that implies "how dare you bother me with your hardship" is cruel and denies the obligation to care about anyone else. I think it also takes for granted just how much of our lives do depend on the kindness and goodness of others around us.

Impersonal-ness (and the assumption that this is somehow superior to a personal approach). People are individuals, situations differ. To ignore the details in favor of being "impersonal" seems to me to not only be rude and unkind, but also unwise and unfair.

Writing off actual, logical, out-of-your-hands Reasons for some percieved short-coming as merely "excuses". This essentialy communicates an attitude that everyone else should (and can) perfectly conform to your expectations and convenience.

When people insist on blaming someone for something that was an accident, a simple matter of wrong place wrong time. I really don't understand the need to say it's someone's fault. Can't it be no one's fault?

When people provoke debates but do not actually listen to, nor respond specifically to the arguments of the other side. When they keep repeating the same points over and over with an increasingly negative tone, nothing is accomplished. There are people who seem to do this constantly. It is exasperating.

The assumption that everyone ought to be self-sufficient and never need anyone's help. What particularly bugs me about this is that people seem to use this beliefe as reason to ridicule and look down on people who have had bad luck, and to avoid feeling obligated to help others. Although it may sound ideal for every person to be able to provide everything they need for themselves, I actually don't think this would result in an ideal society. I think it's good for people to depend on eachother in different ways, to cooperate and support eachother. I hate that there is always so much negative focus on the ways that someone can't take care of themselves without recognizing what they can provide for others. This goes for both physical and emotional needs. So what if someone Does need the emotional support of others? They probably also provide emotional support to others as well. It's not pathetic to need the support of family and friends. I think it's just part of being human and living in community. And just to throw in a little comparrison. If you follow this assumption to the root idea, then everyone should be growing and hunting their own food, making their own clothes, building their own house. etc. Modern culture is built around needing others to provide different things. We don't all fix our own plumbing. And no one thinks they should have to. So why do so many people still seem to believe that we ought to be capable of being one-man-bands on the stage of life? I don't see anything particularly noble in being independant from your family and friends. A small way in which this idea plays out is those people who just won't accept any favors or gifts. This annoys me to no end. You're depriving me of the joy of doing something for you, of showing my love, and you're essentially telling me that we have a business relaitonship, not a friendship when you feel like you have to pay me back cent for cent. What does it matter if I always give you more expensive gifts? Does that make you pathetic? NO. What does it matter if you're always the one that drives us places? Does that make me pathetic? NO.

People who see it as their mission and duty to squash dreams. To tell people that things are impractical and impossible. Frequently these people also seem to have no ability to entertain the thought of how something should be opposed to how it is. I find this terribly frustrating. You say something should be some way, and they answer "well it's not" as if this is some kind of refute to what you have just said. It's not even adressing what I just said. If you'd like to say, no I don't think it should be the way you say, that would make sense. But the tone is usually one that implies it is stupid to think about how something could be....and that just doesn't make sense.

Not being able to just accept that others have different oppinions. I don't understand why some people get rield up, hurt, or start arguments over every topic (even trivial ones) that someone else doesn't agree with them on. I don't understand needing to make everyone conform to your thoughts. Sure that would be nice, and I do believe that some beliefes are wrong and destructive and worth arguing over, but I'm talking about the people who seem to need everyone else to agree with them completely on every topic. It's the getting hurt and offended one that I especially don't get. So this other person likes the opposite of what you like. How do you get an insult out of that? Not everyone can be you after all. If they tell you you're stupid for your beliefe that's a reason to feel hurt, but just getting hurt because someone stated that they don't like something you do like makes no sense to me. (note, I still offer sympathy to these people because obviously they do feel hurt by it, but it's something that can be annoying to me because of the inability to accept people as unique individuals who are entitled to their own oppinions).

On less deep issues - the things that really anoy me are
the assumption that getting up early is somehow more right than staying up late

impatience and getting uptight over scheduals when actually nothing bad will happen from not being there at a specific time

When people don't how to "wait up" for someone. By this I mean stoping and turning around for 2 seconds and then starting to walk again when the person is only slightly closer to them. Waiting for someone means you stand there untill they are standing next to you. That's just my little pet peeve. It's respectfull, not to mention friendlier, to wait for someone untill they actually join you, rather than turning your back to them and requireing them to run to catch up. Doing so implies that they are somehow less important than you and that they need to strive to meet you, rather than you putting in equal effort to meet them. The ultimate nice thing is to actually walk back to join someone who has fallen behind you.

machines that aren't working how they are supposed to even when as far as you can tell you're doing everything right. I get so frustrated when something just isn't working right. I can give all kinds of slack to people, but something not working how it's made to work tends to get me frustrated fast.

popular music playing everywhere I go. I get really really tired of listening to random singers singing about random stuff I don't care about right now, and having that constant noise in the background.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Uh, ME!

Sooo many things I wish I could better about myself. Some I shouldn't be wishing for, like to be 6 feet tall and ripped, and some I should be, like the abillity to cook so well that I can invite the ladies over for dinner.. 8]..

..maybe I should rethink this a bit..

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Atheists who discriminate against religious people by calling them brainwashed or delusional however they like.
Amen to that! I'm not particularly religious myself (i suppose i'm a pantheist), but it's sad when atheists rage against religion in such a dogmatic manner. Some go as far as blaming religion for all of the problems in the world and that it must therefore be abolished. Besides the fact that it's simply not true, i really don't understand how anybody can fail to see the hypocrisy in that.

Then again, i've been hypocritical myself in past instances... so i guess i'm a hypocrite who hates hypocrisy :laughing:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amen to that! I'm not particularly religious myself (i suppose i'm a pantheist), but it's sad when atheists rage against religion in such a dogmatic manner. Some go as far as blaming religion for all of the problems in the world and that it must therefore be abolished. Besides the fact that it's simply not true, i really don't understand how anybody can fail to see the hypocrisy in that.

Then again, i've been hypocritical myself in past instances... so i guess i'm a hypocrite who hates hypocrisy :laughing:
I get annoyed when BOTH atheists and religious people act as if they're more intellectually superior based on their beliefs.

Whatever people believe in -- if they don't show any fruits of humility, emotional intelligence or charity -- they can kindly stfu.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I get annoyed when BOTH atheists and religious people act as if they're more intellectually superior based on their beliefs.

Whatever people believe in -- if they don't show any fruits of humility, emotional intelligence or charity -- they can kindly stfu.
I totally agree.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts