Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking this because I've been thinking that I might not be an ENFP as I don't really think that I use Fi and Te...
I just want to see how ENFPs use their Fi and their Te. Do you use Fi to make decisions in your life? I've heard that it's supposed to be used as a 'compass' for your Ne. What does that mean to you? And how does your Te play in?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
i think this is probably the biggest conflict in me, F vs T. Fi operates in notions and feelings, it doesn't need any conscious use it pretty much just reacts to things however it's going to react, although sometimes Fi might react to something which i've learnt or figured out using other functions, it's like a set of codes which is imprinted in me through my experiences and sometimes i have no control over it but it does govern my decision making to a great deal because it's difficult to override how you feel about something.
Te for me is absolutely crucial. i've noticed it's only been over the last few years (15-18) that i've really been able to develop Te to the point that it can keep a check on Fi. before then whenever my Ne would jump to conclusions my Fi would instantly react in whatever way it does and i would sometimes make very irrational decisions. this still happens sometimes but my Te creates a reliable model of the world and i can always use it to logically keep whatever emotional reactions i get to Fi judgements in check. i've actually used my Te to organise the concept of Fi ever since i found out about mbti and that's been really useful in allowing me to say "hold on a sec dan, you know this reaction might be irrational, check your Te first".
i've also noticed that i have to switch between the two to use them both, and that's often quite confusing because they often come up with opposite judgements on the same issues. also i notice if i'm extroverting a lot i'll use Te more, and Fi will realise something went against my values only when i'm alone. out of the two i probably trust Te more, but Fi is so much more inherent in my nature that my judgements are often even between the two.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Fi: (All in my thoughts.)

--Ugh, did he just say that? Why would you say that? He's so insensitive. -_-
--WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT!? You're a horrible person.
--Aw, I feel sorry for you. :( You need a hug!
--*love*

Te: (Combination of thoughts/real world interaction)

--Huh... That didn't work... Will this work?... Well, hell. THAT didn't work either. How 'bout...
--*playing instrument* That didn't resolve too well, let's play a bunch of different notes until I land on one that sounds good.

Basically:

Fi is how people or events make me feel.

Te is me experimenting and interacting with the outside world in order to gain information or insight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
In my eyes, Fi is my ethical standpoint that has been consistent for most of my life: Everyone's perspective matters. All my life, with the help of Ne, I've done a pretty good job of fleshing out the perspectives that I've been presented with, and of juggling multiple ones at a time. So, really, I've gotten rather used to working with my Fi in mind. It's, of course, come to other ethical conclusions as well. For example, these days I'm fixated on becoming vegetarian---an idea mostly backed by my fluttering Fe, among other factors.

Now a story. A few years ago I came to the intuitive realization that I was having a bit of an identity crisis. Something was out of whack in me, and to find a solution I turned to my good ol' buddies: literature, philosophy and history (and, well, pretty much everything I picked up in my studies). I looked at a wide variety of data from fiction, philosophical texts, and a variety of world belief systems (both living and dead), and narrowed them down with my intuition. I then turned to my Ti to work in tandem with my Fi to essentially pick from works and build myself my own personal philosophy. Moreover, I find myself constantly "checking" this world view of mine with my Ti every so often to make sure it's still valid.

Where Te comes into play is when I get into a philosophical debate and drop something like, "Well, Heidegger demonstrates that our interpretation of the world is central not only to our knowing, but to our being". (Of course, some will just reply, "But Heidegger was a Nazi!" :frustrating:) Honestly though, I can't bring myself to use my Te in most situations. I find I can never drag myself away from theory. It might actually be a bit of a problem: I can't bring myself to write fiction or teach ESL anymore---both acts drawing upon the planning and process-awareness that comes from Te mastery. If anything, it's almost as if Te constantly conflicts with my Fi.

·
Registered
314 Posts
out of the two i probably trust Te more, but Fi is so much more inherent in my nature that my judgements are often even between the two.
Everything you said really hit home, but this statement was most pertinent.

Fi is so inherent. It's second nature (literally :crazy:). Ne perceives something and Fi reacts. Te now keeps everything in check (but it never used to be that way). It makes sure that my decisions have an actual real world application. Sure, it can almost flawlessly back up a rather bad decision made by the Ne/Fi combo, but usually it doesn't. Usually it just helps me to make the objectively best decision.

I also feel like it helps my Ne to look at all angles of something because it kind of detaches me from the situation. This helps me not to be overly sensitive.

However, even though I do "trust" my Te more than Fi, it is my tertiary function. This means, I can't pretend that I'm great at using it. Sometimes I get too detached and rely on it too much and I end up doing something/saying something that really chafes my Fi. When this happens, there's no way I can avoid the emotional implications. They can really blind-side me. :crying:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts