Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself wondering about what I would like to do when I'm older...
And to be honest, I really don't know, so I thought maybe you guys have some cool idea's :D
It would be really cool to have a job where I can see the world and travel ;)

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm studying Psychology at University right now, and it's all really interesting for me so far =D I think we tend to have a natural curiosity about what makes people tick and have a great desire to help people , which is why we get called the "natural psychologists" quite a lot, along with our ability to read people :p

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Honestly, I would look at what you're good at and find what field is in demand and will pay you the most money for the least amount of work. Use this website U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Psychology is a difficult field to enter into and you will need lots of loans to pay for the schooling. My forte was computers, thankfully every business uses computers.

Other than that, I would beseech you to focus on a STEM oriented career (science, technology engineering, and mathematics) or even a trade. I've thought about becoming a master mechanic or working with some diesel engines.

Get a smart job or a job that can't be outsourced and you'll be making mucho moonies :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you can get a copy of Do What You Are from the library, check that out! It's a book entirely devoted to best jobs/Type and how different Types can use their strengths to most effectively approach the job hunt. Of course, anyone of any Type can do any job if they have the interest and the skills, but each Type does tend to gravitate and do best in certain fields. You might want to use that book as a starting point (but certainly not to limit your ideas of what you'd want to/ could do as a career).

Areas that tend to have a lot of happy ENFPs include: counselling professions (guidance counsellors in schools, psychologists, ministers/rabbis/priests, etc); marketing (advertising, PR, marketing departments of companies); writing (journalists, screen writers, high school english/creative writing teachers).

ENFPs often have more than one career in their lifetime; we enjoy learning new skills and grow bored more easily than many other Types.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Mine! I find my work fascinating; psychology. Lol. Researcher in organisational psychology :)
Worked in psych research for the last 20 years; addiction, post-traumatic stress, and now organisational.

Love it; research fits (new projects every couple of years), psychology fits (people stuff), and since I've stuck with the overall field, I've build up a career. somehow I am becoming an expert and manager :)

thoroughly recommend it!

Reactions: Unicorn101

·
Registered
123 Posts
Er... Sorry to disappoint you all, but I'm not doing psychology (not that the thought never crossed my mind, though...).

I am currently studying Maths & Philosophy at uni. Yeah, not quite the stereotypically ENFP degree, probably more fitting for INTPs, but I've always been good at maths, so I thought "eh, why not?". As for philosophy, well, it's kind of a long story. But I sort of need it, since I need to find new ways of thinking about stuff, and it's also a good way to conceptualise and tune your Fi convictions, in order to have a clearer idea of what you as an individual, you as member of a collective, and you as the collective have to do. As a friend would say, "it denaturalises the conditions in which you've been living and which you've naturalised". It helps in understanding stuff that happens a lot.

As for what I plan to do in the future, I'm still unsure, but I may teach secondary maths after I get my bachelor's, or maybe go on to do a Master's... But probably the teaching. I'll end up teaching either way, I've always been attracted to that, and I have been told by many others that I'm pretty good at explaining things, especially in maths, where they say I make them actually understand stuff, instead of giving them a problem-solving recipe, as many teachers do. So yeah, I would really enjoy that, as well as having a group of children for a year I can see grow and hopefully help them in the process.

Any other ENFPs into teaching?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Me, me!! I absolutely love teaching, and I love maths. I want others to see the beauty of maths, and I really want to spread love for the subject. It's so beautiful, and logical, and at the same time you also require creativity for elegant solutions. I want to teach people because I want to spread the love for science and maths. I want to encourage others to think for themselves and innovate. I'm also going to be studying maths and comp sci in college.
To the OP, you said you would like to see the world and travel, so this may interest you...
HowStuffWorks "10 Careers for People Who Love to Travel"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Me, me!! I absolutely love teaching, and I love maths. I want others to see the beauty of maths, and I really want to spread love for the subject. It's so beautiful, and logical, and at the same time you also require creativity for elegant solutions. I want to teach people because I want to spread the love for science and maths. I want to encourage others to think for themselves and innovate. I'm also going to be studying maths and comp sci in college.
(Argh, I replied but it wasn't sent correctly. Oh well, here it goes again.)

omg, you like totally get me!!

Yeah, I also like a lot how maths teaches you to think critically and in innovative ways... I think it's one of those mind-enhancing subjects, because the creative problem-solving skills somehow transfer into other areas of your life, helping you develop your independent thinking, thinking about stuff and trying to find creative ways to solve problems instead of just going to work, accepting everything, getting food, looking for pre-made solutions to your problems, and not realising your full potential, living a dull life.

Also, the subject is instrinsically interesting as well. It can be quite elegant.

When considering what to study/ do, I'd say we, as ENFPs, tend to need...
- Flexibility, being allowed to do things in new ways and try out stuff.
- A fair amount of contact with other people.
- A space where the connections we make and the new stuff we propose are appreciated by others.
- Being able to help others realise their full potential, which we tend to see quite clearly.
- A job where we are actually contributing to some change, both in the life of individuals and in society as a whole.

That's all I can think of for now, OP... Also, I'd say you should search in your everyday life for those moments where you feel most fulfilled, especially in school... Is it when you help someone with their problems? Maybe counselling is for you. Is it when you help others understand things? Maybe teaching is your thing. Is it when you express things in new ways? Maybe creative writing. The possibilities are endless, just search for that which fulfils you the most and you'll be on the right path.

You mentioned travelling, so maybe you should consider language teaching if that's your thing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
@Unicorn101: I had to struggle for a long time to find out what major could hold my interest for a long time (I become bored quite quickly if I understand where it will go - maybe this stereotype really fits... ^^").

What about studying Cognitive Science? I can't tell you more detailed information about it because I myself am going to study it this year. Maybe this little excerpt will show you what it's all about:

Cognitive science is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the mind and its processes. It examines what cognition is, what it does and how it works. It includes research on intelligence and behavior, especially focusing on how information is represented, processed, and transformed (in faculties such as perception, language, memory, reasoning, and emotion) within nervous systems (human or other animal) and machines (e.g. computers).
Cognitive science consists of multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, and anthropology.
Source: Wikipedia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts