Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I don't have many friends and I don't feel very valued in my personal life because I don't have a lot of opportunities to meet and hang out with new people. So I want to partially remedy that by doing something online that people will value in the meantime.

But what, exactly, are us INFJs good at with our Ni-Fe? I know certain personality types might gravitate towards making ASMR videos while others might be really good at making art blogs (INFPs maybe?), for example. INTJs, on the other hand, seem to be really good at using their Te to explain complex systems and their implications to people, so science blogs and things like CGPGrey videos might be more up their alley.

What kinds of blogs or things can us INFJs do online with our Ni and Fe that people will find valuable, so we don't feel like our powerful intuition and its insights are ignored by the world and fall on deaf ears? Besides working for free as would-be personal counselors? Because I've tried the whole social justice "this is what's happening / will happen in the future and here is how I think we can stop it" thing and no one seems to care. So what kinds of non-political things could I put my Ni-Fe to good use to instead that other people would actually find valuable and respond to?

And I apologize in advance if I get something completely wrong with the cognitive functions; I'm pretty new to the theory and am still learning. But feel free to correct me at any time.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I really enjoy having people to talk to when it comes to discussing deep feelings and inner workings. Based on the few I've spoken to on this forum I think INFJs are great listeners and are able to offer excellent advice. So basically the counselling role.

·
Banned
4,831 Posts
Hope you don't mind the intrusion since I'm not an INFJ but thought I would provide my observations about INFJs.

Cyberspace provides INFJs the time to express their conceptions in the manner that they wish. IMO, the best part of INFJs would be when they lock and load their Ti, expressing their thoughts in a logical, detailed manner but since they have the leisure, to make their conceptions more palatable by buffing out the rough spots using Fe.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
Creative writing, Art, Problem solving, Counseling, etc.

Don't just look at your top two functions as they all come into play. Ni-Fe-Ti-Se let us be excellent problem solvers and are in most cases on par with NT's. Our Fe definitely shifts our problem solving over into the more human/emotional side but that doesn't mean we have to focus on people.

I find that it's a lot like building a bridge to from point A to B, most people know where they want to be and what they have, but no idea how to get there. In fact most of them already have the answer in front of them and they just need someone else to show it to them.

I love counseling/problem solving, which is part of the reason why I'm here.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
I've worked on an online indie game as a designer and community manager for the past three years. Maybe look to help with someone else's project?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really enjoy having people to talk to when it comes to discussing deep feelings and inner workings. Based on the few I've spoken to on this forum I think INFJs are great listeners and are able to offer excellent advice. So basically the counselling role.
Yeah, I like and do really well at that too but initially wanted to avoid it because I've kind of grown used to being ignored in my personal life. But I think I see now that places like this are probably different since people here understand our strengths. And I could always find others here who are like me and understand me too.

Thank you for that.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Are you saying you want to remedy not having the time to make new friends by making online friends via becoming some kind of mini-online celebrity?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you don't mind the intrusion since I'm not an INFJ but thought I would provide my observations about INFJs.

Cyberspace provides INFJs the time to express their conceptions in the manner that they wish. IMO, the best part of INFJs would be when they lock and load their Ti, expressing their thoughts in a logical, detailed manner but since they have the leisure, to make their conceptions more palatable by buffing out the rough spots using Fe.
Thanks a lot for that; I've actually noticed this with myself and other INFJs too. I think we can get so carried away with what we've learned from Ni and Ti that we forget to keep things more to the point before throwing them out there. And even though it can take a bit of time to put on the polish, the end result is usually very good as you said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't just look at your top two functions as they all come into play. Ni-Fe-Ti-Se let us be excellent problem solvers and are in most cases on par with NT's. Our Fe definitely shifts our problem solving over into the more human/emotional side but that doesn't mean we have to focus on people.
Yeah, I looked at my post later and was like '..but what about the other functions?' but it was too late :p. Although thank you for yours, it's made me think about the possibility of doing something with music again since I was a hobbyist musician at one point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you saying you want to remedy not having the time to make new friends by making online friends via becoming some kind of mini-online celebrity?
Not really? The issue in life for me isn't time, but transportation and overbearing slightly abusive parents who I have to live with. I actually have more time this year than I'll probably have over the next five or ten years. Although I can see how the original post could come off as otherwise, so sorry for that.

As for the mini-online celebrity thing, definitely not really. I just want to feel valued instead of almost... feared? It's really weird and I'm not sure how to explain it. People love me as a coworker, fellow student and etc, but every time I test the waters with deeper subjects they tend to retreat, especially if they see a side of me that's very different from themselves. And it's even worse for personal topics like politics and religion since I live in a state where most of the people actually would be suspicious of me if they knew what I think and how I feel about things.

So really it's about dealing with a situation where I'm almost a prisoner in my parents' house. They really dislike me as a person because they're so extreme and intellectually isolated that they almost see me as one of their enemies. And on top of that I don't have very many friends as a result of those shenanigans. Thus far I've been able to deal with the situation by just focusing on school and my own personal projects, but it's become so bad that I've literally lost hundreds of hours of sleep over it all over the past several months. So something more constructive needs to be done to rectify the situation, and there's not much I can do in my physical life because of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've worked on an online indie game as a designer and community manager for the past three years. Maybe look to help with someone else's project?
Oops, missed one.

Maybe? I'm an IT major although I'm in my senior year, so I don't know how much of that I'd want to do at the same time, although I appreciate the input all the same.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Not really? The issue in life for me isn't time, but transportation and overbearing slightly abusive parents who I have to live with. I actually have more time this year than I'll probably have over the next five or ten years. Although I can see how the original post could come off as otherwise, so sorry for that.

As for the mini-online celebrity thing, definitely not really. I just want to feel valued instead of almost... feared? It's really weird and I'm not sure how to explain it. People love me as a coworker, fellow student and etc, but every time I test the waters with deeper subjects they tend to retreat, especially if they see a side of me that's very different from themselves. And it's even worse for personal topics like politics and religion since I live in a state where most of the people actually would be suspicious of me if they knew what I think and how I feel about things.

So really it's about dealing with a situation where I'm almost a prisoner in my parents' house. They really dislike me as a person because they're so extreme and intellectually isolated that they almost see me as one of their enemies. And on top of that I don't have very many friends as a result of those shenanigans. Thus far I've been able to deal with the situation by just focusing on school and my own personal projects, but it's become so bad that I've literally lost hundreds of hours of sleep over it all over the past several months. So something more constructive needs to be done to rectify the situation, and there's not much I can do in my physical life because of them.
Speaking from personal experience, finding some relief online is always good. You'll always find people to talk to, and you may even get lucky and find some people to talk to in a more intimate setting like Skype where you can instant message or video chat.

But it cannot substitute people in your real life, no matter how great your online friends make you feel. There will come a point where it's not going to end well if they are your only friends.

---

I know that sounds obvious now, but you'll see if it happens.

Or I could be entirely wrong, as I'm sure someone will fly along with their unique situation where they are "happy" with just online outlets.

So I'm not discouraging you from seeking what you're looking for--it will be great. I'm just encouraging you to make sure you keep trying to form connections outside of the online world. It will also make you happy and healthy.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Oops, missed one.

Maybe? I'm an IT major although I'm in my senior year, so I don't know how much of that I'd want to do at the same time, although I appreciate the input all the same.
I didn't program anything, just did creative design, art, balancing, and provided some of what MBTI describes as Ni-Fi to the community and lead developer. Doesn't have to be anything super technical. Just some project that you can help on (any subject matter) via online means. INFJ is low population %. People are usually happy to get what we offer that they have lacked for so long.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, finding some relief online is always good. You'll always find people to talk to, and you may even get lucky and find some people to talk to in a more intimate setting like Skype where you can instant message or video chat.

But it cannot substitute people in your real life, no matter how great your online friends make you feel. There will come a point where it's not going to end well if they are your only friends.

---

Or I could be entirely wrong, as I'm sure someone will fly along with their unique situation where they are "happy" with just online outlets.

So I'm not discouraging you from seeking what you're looking for--it will be great. I'm just encouraging you to make sure you keep trying to form connections outside of the online world. It will also make you happy and healthy.
This.

Online for those having troubles with IRL relationships should use online as practice. Please, make sure it is a "means to an end," and not your final goal. Online friendships and such can really help build your people skills, so that you can better integrate into society. Always seek friends first IRL... Save the relationship stuff until you have a stable support group of friends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

---

Oh, I definitely will keep trying. I just hate these online college curriculums that are all the rage, and not being able to spend more than 60 seconds with any given customer at the store I work at because of how busy it is. But on the bright side, hopefully I'll graduate at the end of the year and be able to move out and live on my own in a nicer place. I definitely have a long-term plan and my own dreams that I'm pursuing; I just want the short-term to be a little bit better than how it is.

And thank you for that concern and advice. I do honestly appreciate it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't program anything, just did creative design, art, balancing, and provided some of what MBTI describes as Ni-Fi to the community and lead developer. Doesn't have to be anything super technical. Just some project that you can help on (any subject matter) via online means. INFJ is low population %. People are usually happy to get what we offer that they have lacked for so long.
Oh I see. That's a good idea, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts