Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of people are the rest of you guys? I'm talking especially in high school.

After wondering about how INFP's are like in school and asking them on the INFP forum, I found a few of them had tendencies I mostly attributed to INFJ (mostly outliers, but some otherwise). So, I've decided to maybe ask the INFJ board to see how you act/acted in high school, to see how I compare to general INFJness :tongue:

So, how do/did you guys dress, act, do in your classes, etc. in high school?
How would I supposedly "identify" a fellow INFJ (I seem to have no particular problem, but, we're rare!)
I would really love to know how my behavior compares, or whether it matches with the "INFJ norm", heh.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not sure about other INFJs, but I excelled academically. I graduated with a 3.86.

The way I did things was very regimented and organized. I couldn't live without my planner, and once I start unversity my planner will be my lifesaver again. I liked making lists and keeping track of my progress while doing assignments/projects. I also had to have my workspace very open and devoid of distractions. Music was okay when I wasn't concentrating a whole lot.

I was best in language, music and writing classes. String orchestra was by far my favorite, then Japanese was my second favorite. I enjoyed writing because my writing seriously went up a level. When I'm talking normally I sometimes won't put in a period or strive for perfect grammar (even though I notice every mistake I make), but when I'm serious about writing I'll let my perfectionistic tendencies go crazy.

How I dressed... casual. T-shirt and jeans every day, and sometimes a dress or some shorts with leggings underneath.

How I acted... I didn't speak up in class unless I had something important to say, and I treated my teachers with a lot of respect. I didn't like debates because I can't just keep firing out thoughts; I need to process before saying anything. I'm good at reading out loud and speaking in front of people, so I did the morning announcements for about a year. I wasn't afraid to present my ideas when they felt justified to me. If I had doubt (which happened often) my mouth was shut.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was a good student, much better in language arts, etc. than math. I hated algebra & couldn't really understand the concepts behind it until I took Physics & could visualize it in realistic scenarios. I was mostly bored & didn't really have to study, but still managed to graduate Cum Laude. I spent a lot of time drifting off in thought, writing poetry/songs, or even sleeping. I'm crappy at memorizing things, but have always been gifted at taking tests...especially multiple choice. I attended a college prep private school, so the academics were probably somewhat harder than most public schools. I do recall that one of my favorite teachers gave us a battery of personality tests my Junior year, and that was the first time I tested INFJ.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
From Elementary -> University
I skipped class all the time, never really did my homework, winged tests, and slammed away on a keyboard 5 hrs before a term paper was due. When I was in class, I was pretty chill and in University I started to become notorious for putting my legs up on the table. One class was so boring I actually brought a pillow.

For the most part, school was all about jumping through hoops and making your professor feel like they taught you something. You plug in their opinion on papers or written assignments and you'll make the grade. I had some of the worst possible habits, but my grades were always up there. Minimal effort, maximum reward. Anyone can read a book 5x over and ace the test.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
ENTP checking in...

Voted Senior Ball King and Cutest Couple
Wore pajama pants very often
Screamed at events I think. Liked to start random singing and stuff.
Um. Went to like 4 tables every lunch period to chat with various friends.
Probably hung out with the normal people/nerds. We weren't outcasts and took all Advanced Placement classes. Honestly hung out with a little of everyone except the 12 cool, super beautiful jocks :p Never talked to them... They were too cool to talk to certain people! I was more interested in nerdy, friendly people with big hearts.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
decent, responded well to pressure (excel actually when pressured)

I thought I was not good in math until I came to USA. I became a math "genius" by default. ;-)

The only subject I was not too fond of was physics; a bit too abstract for my taste. I was good with languages, history, geography, and literature.

Like @Lad, I put in effort before the assignment was due and before the exam. In college, without pressures from teachers, I didn't study much even though I got by. Looking back I am glad that my primary education was done somewhere else. My potential was maximized with threats of punishment and humiliation. In US, the laissez faire style of teaching would do me in. I would not have amounted to anything.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
High School? I ran my high school's chapter of the Young Democrats, was co-president of an environmental club and I was involved in student government. Also involved in several other student organizations. I've always been extremely serious about my studying and I ended up graduating salutatorian. Because I was involved in a bunch of extracurricular stuff, I had a lot of friends, including some of the "popular" people, though I wasn't quite in with those on the top of the social hierarchy. Didn't keep in touch with any of them once I went off to university, though.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I usually just go to my classes and listen, take notes all that regular stuff. I talk to the people sitting by me sometimes but, If I'm feeling left out, I'll just keep quiet. I usually find some of my friends and sit by them at lunch. My few friends are sort of shifting friends now, so lately I've eaten lunch with different people every day. I hate the friend shifts, I may be friendless for a while again.

I usually sit either in the front or back, but to the side. The only subject I really have to study is math, and sometimes science and history. I try to get my work in on time, only because I hate having to go to the teacher and say, "This is late." My favorite class is probably band. I enjoy the unity, and we have one of the best in our state. Band is also my home base where I find friends. :happy: My least favorite class is my soil and plant science class that I'm stuck in. I Just don't like the teacher, or my classmates, but I love plants.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah I was just always around... seen but not heard... got good grades though and did well especially in business sciences and languages, maths and science itself.... bleh....
I hated school... but I was conflicted by wanting to be a part of something or a group of people and then just being annoyed by the attitudes most of them had...
Rarely ever got into trouble, and procrastinated a lot so would probably do my projects and homework on the day or the day before... same with studying... I was a little lazy, mind you i'm probably still like that I just don't like to think about it hahaha

·
Registered
278 Posts
School uniform was enforced where I live, so everyone had to wear that. I chose to not wear uniform around as young as 8, and somehow I got away with it reasonably well. I don't know how, really. I know some teachers hated me partially for this, and I seem to remember something called a "blue book", which my name would get put in a lot. (I think that meant I was a "very naughty girl" or something).

I'd get shouted at at School. Something that didn't really happen to me at home very often. I didn't understand why, if I wasn't very good at something, the teacher would blame me, rather than herself, for teaching me in ways that just did not work for me. I learn the best either in one-on-one scenarios free of the embarrassment and humiliation of holding up the entire class (because I didn't understand something and needed further guidance that would mean the focus would all be on me, and mean that the teacher would need to hold my hand whilst the rest of the class would be free of their supervision), or alone.

That's the funny thing. As a kid, I'd have been able to list every cat and dog breed there was. I'd have been able to inform you about their temperaments, common illnesses of a specific breed, which kind of person or "job" is suitable for specific breeds... I was a beacon of knowledge about particular things, but of course not considered relevant by School.

The concept of a "School uniform" always disturbed me. I was a kid, not a freaking office slave already. At secondary School the girls had to wear skirts the entire year round. Didn't matter what the temperature was. Skirts in summer, same skirt in Winter in the ice and snow. If I went out in a skirt now in the Winter, people would call me mad (or an attention seeker, lol), but somehow, because some old "headmaster" dude said I had to wear a skirt, I "had to". Because he said so. I couldn't get away with disobeying that rule at Secondary School, so my butt was in a skirt year-round.

I ended up dropping out of School at 16 (would have been 15, but I was put back a year), to earn money as an artist. My only regret is that I didn't drop out sooner!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
High school eh?

I always wore jeans and a plain colored t-shirt with skateboarder shoes. Why? Because it was comfortable. Not really any other reason. I had long hair for 2 years so I didn't really care about how I looked. The other two I had it short and got a lot of attention from girls that I didn't really want attention from.

As for how I acted, well... Freshman year I literally slept through. Sophomore year I was put in extensions classes so I got A's to get away from the people burning books in the back of the class. Back up to Honor's Junior and Senior year I would literally strive for B's. Did that by not doing any homework, purposefully passing in projects a little late, and getting A's on most of my tests. I also gave a lot of answers to questions. Confused the teachers that paid attention to that sort of stuff. The thing is I wanted to stay under the radar because in elementary school I practically did middle school level and higher work in 1st grade. The teachers thought I was a genius, but they didn't realize it practically alienated me from everyone else. The only outstanding thing I did was during the day before April vacation. I wore a gray wizard beard with a purple pimp hat and sunglasses with shiny gold lenses. For some reason security thought it was awesome rather than confiscating everything and putting me in suspension (No hats/anything covering face was allowed because of security cameras. Those were there for trouble makers/skippers).

Now I'm in college.

AKA the land of fuck-all

I'm basically doing the same thing I did before, only with low A's. I also wear plain white t-shirts instead of colored ones (I have so many because you had to wear one under your culinary uniform so now I'm used to wearing one all the time). Still trying to stay under the radar though.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
From Elementary -> University
I skipped class all the time, never really did my homework, winged tests, and slammed away on a keyboard 5 hrs before a term paper was due. When I was in class, I was pretty chill and in University I started to become notorious for putting my legs up on the table. One class was so boring I actually brought a pillow.
Oh, I was the same! I was like what we can call "rebel".

The school was boring for me, the only purpose for me was to connect with my group of friends(I was more extrovert than now), I didn't give a shit about what they were teaching me because it was boring and meanless. I also slept in classes, wrote poems, etc. But at the end I always passed all the exams and years.

That's was in Highschool, in Elementary I was more nerd, I spent all the time in the library, I wasn't an exellent student but normal, I was more interested in the Art classes and in Highschool more about Maths and Literature.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
School's usually boring to me, depending on the subject we're studying. I would say I generally do well; I get decent grades and take challenging classes. And I am definitely a nerd! :D English and Photography have been my favorite classes, not as fond of math and science. School also stresses and tires me a lot, mainly with all the homework, tests, etc.

I follow the rules, stay in the background. I'm the kid who when some teacher walks into the classroom jokes about how "this must be the trouble-making class because so-and-so's here. (And yes, it does get old very quickly, even if I act like I find it amusing every time). Also don't talk much, I'm always getting points off for participation. I usually am reading a book whenever there's free time, or talking to friends (only act more outgoing around friends, although I'm still the quiet one). The clubs I'm in are Interact (volunteer work), and Spanish club; also on the tennis team. (Possibly going to join another club this year; we'll see).

In terms of appearance, I usually wear something plain, jeans and a t-shirt. Don't really put too much effort into it, but try not to look like I just rolled out of bed either.

Although I wouldn't say that any of this is necessarily typical for INFJs, not only does my answer differ from many others on this thread, but an INFJ friend I have in school acts much more extroverted and outgoing. It would be hard for most people to believe we're the same personality type, so I would definitely say there are lots of variations.

P.S. @Reticence The quotes in your signature are lovely. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm still in high school..just it's pretty different here LOL I don't really study a lot, I spend most of time on my class listening music or talking with classmates. It's mostly because it's really booooring. Or I sleep haha. I mostly wear hoodie (or some regular T-shirt), black denim jeans and 10$ shoes XD I'm in pretty good relationship with most of professors because I'm always nice and quiet one XD
c93.jpg

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I mostly just wore jeans and a top I liked.

I did well enough in my classes except I felt like my whole life was school since I'm such a perfectionist and slow/reflective thinker. It basically takes me a million times longer to do everything than it would a normal person. That's fine I guess if there's time for that but in Sophomore year I had too many classes that felt advanced even if they weren't supposed to be. Lots of writing. I started to hate my life and I started to hate writing even though I love writing. And yes, I know not all INFJ's are the same way as me.

Friends? I always had one or two best friends and the rest were all friendly acquaintances. I was quiet and very talkative with my close friends. Anyone who didn't know me just saw me as quiet. Things also started going downhill when I no longer saw my best friend due to reasons. I don't know. It can be hard for me to make quality friends. I sort of had a love-hate relationship with school.

Reactions: sunflowersoul

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm REALLY interested about all the Enneagram 6's in here, why did you guys decide on this? I've never thought of INFJ's as having a basic fear of "being without support and guidance". It doesn't particularly seem out of the norm, but having a basic desire for "security" doesn't quite seem right.

@Lyric

Have you looked into actually being an INFP? :happy:
-Enneagram 6 is also very often INFP
-Good at memorizing details
- "I didn't understand why the teacher would yell at me"
-Needed the focus to be all on you to be taught
(well, this is shared, but I've always felt INFJs are strong independent learners)
-School Uniforms disturb you so greatly
-Decided to go "your own way" in general and almost always

Just something to think about if you haven't already...

@Lemxn
Same comment for you, just wondering, although with 4,366 posts, you've probably already considered it :laughing:

@Ad Astra
Aren't they? I love them all so much.
The only thing I find odd about your description is that you have little fondness for math and science, but I might just be the odd one out in that respect, who knows, I've always found them fascinating, except Physics, the combination of the two on such a critically structured and formulated basis is just sickening. :dry:

"this must be the trouble-making class because so-and-so's here"
You mean because you usually stayed quiet? They kind of "sarcastically" said this?

@Vivid Melody
I don't know what you mean in saying that "not all INFJ's are the same way as me. Hard working, contemplative, preference for writing but still very capable in other classes, don't care too much about how you look, but don't want to look like a bum are pretty typical attributes of an INFJ. :proud:

I couldn't live without my planner, and once I start university my planner will be my lifesaver again. I liked making lists and keeping track of my progress while doing assignments/projects. I also had to have my workspace very open and devoid of distractions. Music was okay when I wasn't concentrating a whole lot.
I feel you. I'm pretty bad on procrastination unless I write everything out in my planner, which I like to refer to as External Memory Bank #2, with my awful memory, its a lifeline. :blushed:

I was a good student, much better in language arts, etc. than math. I hated algebra & couldn't really understand the concepts behind it until I took Physics & could visualize it in realistic scenarios. I was mostly bored & didn't really have to study, but still managed to graduate Cum Laude.
That's the first I've heard that from an INFJ, interesting. Physics seems like something most INFJ's would hate.
Good job on graduating Cum Laude though, I will agree with you that language arts is wonderful. :tongue:

The only subject I was not too fond of was physics; a bit too abstract for my taste. I was good with languages, history, geography, and literature.
I don't think physics is abstract at all considering how much real world application it has, unless we're talking about Electricity/Magnetism or Thermodynamics, in which case, yeah, it can get pretty harsh. I find it interesting that you like history, I personally love learning about it, but I hate the classes, all the details and facts I have to memorize really give me trouble. :mellow:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm REALLY interested about all the Enneagram 6's in here, why did you guys decide on this?
Decide on what? :)

@Lyric

Have you looked into actually being an INFP? :happy:
-Enneagram 6 is also very often INFP
-Good at memorizing details
- "I didn't understand why the teacher would yell at me"
(well, this is shared, but I've always felt INFJs are strong independent learners)
-Decided to go "your own way" in general and almost always

Just something to think about if you haven't already...
Last MBTI test I took, I tested as 58% Judging, so I guess I sort of teeter on the brink of INFP-dom (if that's "a thing" in this). I do share some similarities to INFP, though whenever I've taken "J or P" specific tests, they all have come back J.
Also the stuff here: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Judging or Perceiving
...would definitely have me as a J rather than a P. :)

I am pretty ferociously anti-School, though I actually thought this was a pretty common INFJ thing! Maybe I'm wrong.

I am a strong independent learner, but when you're forced to attend an institution in which you can't exactly do that, it's kind of hindering... Especially when you're forced to learn about stuff you're not interested in in the first place. It wasn't necessarily that I NEEDED one-on-one to learn, but it's the lesser of two "evils" if your only other option is be addressed as a group rather than a selection of people who learn at different rates by ONE person who doesn't necessarily adjust their teaching technique according to the learning styles of many different students.

Tbh I don't think much of the stuff you're saying here has very much to do with MBTI type, but especially this.
I question the mandatorial need for young girls to go around wear skirts year-round as being extremely suspicious.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
@Reticence

I don't know what you mean in saying that "not all INFJ's are the same way as me. Hard working, contemplative, preference for writing but still very capable in other classes, don't care too much about how you look, but don't want to look like a bum are pretty typical attributes of an INFJ.
I meant that some INFJ's are not like me in that they are able to do the whole winging it thing (as others have brought up here). My INFJ husband is one of those types. I am not that way.

I did care a lot about how I looked but it's not like I spent an hour on my appearance every morning ;) I'm too impatient.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts