Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never met an ENTJ before, and I'm interested in how you guys are different from INTJs, who I tend to gravitate towards frequently. I feel like I would have difficulty recognizing the differences since INTJs so often "fake" being extroverted. I don't quite yet understand how the different functions work (like Ni, Fe, etc.) so I know there must be other differences besides the E & I... would anyone care to explain?

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my experience, the ENTJs I know are quite the vocal leaders. They are good at proposing their ideas to large groups of people. They like practicality in their ideas. The ones I've witnessed are quite silly in public.

For INTJs, think about the mad scientist in his room running experiments all day long. Just kidding. They focus more on the abstract ideas and concepts over their practical application. They also seem slightly more reserved in public in comparison to ENTJs.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I agree with onstar except for the silliness part. I tend to reserve that side of me to close friends and family.

INTJ's and ENTJ's are very very similar. We share the same cognitive functions but in different orders

ENTJ: Te>Ni>Se>Fi
INTJ: Ni>Te>Fi>Se

Here's a link that gives a brief explanation of those functions mean. It's a very brief explanation mind you.

Definition of cognitive functions | Life as a Project

So on a casual interpersonal level, it basically does boil down to E and I. I guess the best way to describe it is imagine an INTJ who is naturally extroverted and doesn't have issues with awkwardness while talking to people.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I get an adrenaline rush by being the center of attention, giving a presentation, leading, etc. I think INTJs would experience some sort of anxiety.

Also, we are good at adapting, innovation, and quickly generating plans/courses of action on the spot. INTJs need more time to think things over and are more in their head. For example, I have an INTJ wife that I tend to overload sometimes because I toss out many thoughts, ideas, plans, schedules, etc at her and she doesn't have enough time to process it all. I believe INTJs are more precise and particular in what they say and do whereas ENTJs are more action based.

·
Registered
377 Posts
INTJs usually come off as a lot more nerdy than ENTJs, although ENTJs can be pretty nerdy behind their more approachable and polished exteriors. Although there are exceptions, many ENTJs can be pretty reserved such that you might think they are introverts until you see them give a talk or work a party. They can be as reluctant as INTJs to share personal details with people they don't know extremely well.

I think INTJs more often fall in love with ideas, while ENTJs are pretty focused on what utility the idea has rather than its intellectual merit. If there isn't an immediate application, they lose interest.

INTJs can get excitable under stress, while ENTJs get even more calm and deliberate. I think INTJs are better at creative and "out of the box" thinking, while ENTJs are better at choosing a course and putting things into action.

The ENTJs I know are all very "programmed" and not very spontaneous. Everything is planned out weeks, months, and years in advance. I realize this is a TJ trait in general but ENTJs seem much more entrenched in this than INTJs.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
INTJs usually come off as a lot more nerdy than ENTJs, although ENTJs can be pretty nerdy behind their more approachable and polished exteriors. Although there are exceptions, many ENTJs can be pretty reserved such that you might think they are introverts until you see them give a talk or work a party. They can be as reluctant as INTJs to share personal details with people they don't know extremely well.

I think INTJs more often fall in love with ideas, while ENTJs are pretty focused on what utility the idea has rather than its intellectual merit. If there isn't an immediate application, they lose interest.

INTJs can get excitable under stress, while ENTJs get even more calm and deliberate. I think INTJs are better at creative and "out of the box" thinking, while ENTJs are better at choosing a course and putting things into action.

The ENTJs I know are all very "programmed" and not very spontaneous. Everything is planned out weeks, months, and years in advance. I realize this is a TJ trait in general but ENTJs seem much more entrenched in this than INTJs.
I think you are merging ESTJs and ENTJs on the programmed, not spontaneous thing. For the most part, I agree, except that fundamentally, the ENTJ and INTJ share a creative, out of the box thinking. The main difference would be that the INTJ externalizes an idea AFTER developing/polishing it with introverted intuition while the ENTJ fiddles with an idea on the fly with external thinking and then sees the vision internally with introverted intuition (before externalizing that as well). We kind of wear ourselves on our sleeve while the INTJ is more reserved and shoots like a sniper, but the same engine under the hood.

Take a look at our functions. The INTJ and ENTJ are practically the same with our functions flip flopped:

Dominant: Extraverted Thinking
Auxiliary: Introverted Intuition
Tertiary: Extraverted Sensing
Inferior: Introverted Feeling

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxilliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Introverted Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

The whole programmed, detail oriented stuff is the ESTJ - kinda like how the detail oriented the ISTJ is compared to INTJs.

EDIT: I do think you are onto something with the sentence "ENTJs are pretty focused on what utility the idea has rather than its intellectual merit. If there isn't an immediate application, they lose interest." However, its not that we lose interest, its just that an idea like that would get packed away in our introverted intuition while we continue to address the here and now with our extroverted thinking. We don't toil over an idea in our minds like an INTJ does... rather we pack it away until it is needed and/or let it influence us in the here and now. The idea is still there, I just personally refurbish it and resell it in the form of a different idea.

·
Banned
45 Posts
A few small things I have noticed :

ENTJs cannot not lead. ENTJs usually make double meaning/analogy jokes. The jokes are often inappropriate. A lot of sexual innuendo use. Most like being the center of attention and get a drug like high from being in front of a crowd especially when they are doing something they are competent in.

INTJs hate losing. When I see that guy in a video game who has all the end game gear, tons of rare/epic items, etc I think INTJ. INTJs go way deeper into subjects than ENTJs. ENTJs usually just get enough info to apply it to the real world. I have noticed INTJs usually have a weird nerd hobby. Collecting swords, playing cards, video games etc. You'd see an INTJ at a star trek convention way before you'd see an ENTJ.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Lots of good comments above.

I thought I was INTJ for much of my twenties, but eventually figured out I'm not. One difference is that INTJs really do eventually run out of steam and fizzle out at social gatherings, even when they bring enthusiasm. Second, as already mentioned, INTJs feel like they're improvising when they're not given enough time to chew on ideas; many will "lock up" when given an unexpected objection to a proposal or idea. ENTJs are more agile and more willing to hammer something out on the spot, do a better job keeping feasibility and time constraints in focus, etc.

INTJforum never felt comfortable for me either. They're really a stickler for rules and regulations. It seems autistic-- chatty, conversational, comic comments get quickly deleted. But any sort of crackpot nonsense has liftoff as long as "reasons" are tacked on willy-nilly. They act like this is a rational procedure, though it ought to be clear they pick and choose what they consider to be bullshit based on arbitrary aesthetic taste. Which is fine-- it is the need to baptize preferences with "rationality" which strikes me as weird. There are also a *lot* of annoying whiny people at INTJf, though, strangely, I've never met an emo INTJ in real life.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is taken from INTJ forum, but I found it quite accurate (and amusing).

ENTJs:

- They're practical when it comes to sex.
- That being said, they really like sex.
- Sex.
- They like to socialize, a lot.
- They hate socializing, a lot.
- The last 2 makes more sense when you realize that they have very high standards when it comes to intelligence and sensibility. They're really picky about who they hang out with. They're also very picky about who they come in contact with.
- The last statement also applies in reverse. People will either love or hate an ENTJ. Those who have been filtered out as "approved" by an ENTJ will be drawn to them. There is an exchange of mutual respect.
- If you break an ENTJ's trust, watch out. Don't even try making up for that.
- If an ENTJ has an interest in a subject, they will become experts, fast.
- Once an ENTJ is an "expert", its really hard to change their minds about it. They don't do anything half-assed, so you better have a solid case not only why you are right, but where they went wrong, and how it applies in some useful manner.
- This stubbornness doesn't just apply to fact, it also applies to opinion. They have very good reasons to have said opinion. In which case, don't try to change their minds. Because its just an opinion.
- However they do respect other people's opinions as long as it doesn't infringe on their own. This goes back to the mutual respect statement.
- Sex.

If I were to compare INTJ and ENTJ, this is the simplest description: An ENTJ is the outgoing and strict version of an INTJ. That really makes all the difference. I myself, as well as any other INTJ I have observed, tend to be reluctant to social investment (although we love it once we get past the "shy" stage), and are laid back (sometimes to our detriment). But those aren't trivial. You flip them, and you have a very different person; the ENTJ. This is the ENTJ's advantage over the INTJ. However the disadvantage is that they can burn themselves out trying to deal with the imperfections of other people or situations.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I get an adrenaline rush by being the center of attention, giving a presentation, leading, etc. I think INTJs would experience some sort of anxiety.

Also, we are good at adapting, innovation, and quickly generating plans/courses of action on the spot. INTJs need more time to think things over and are more in their head. For example, I have an INTJ wife that I tend to overload sometimes because I toss out many thoughts, ideas, plans, schedules, etc at her and she doesn't have enough time to process it all. I believe INTJs are more precise and particular in what they say and do whereas ENTJs are more action based.
+1. Spot on.

In my experience (with INTJ friends, co-workers, and romantic relationships), INTJ's tend to be more thorough than ENTJ's in planning and analysis. INTJ's are also more conflict avoidant - they would prefer to solve problems by navigating around potential conflict, whereas ENTJ's would be more likely to try to engage and 'work through' that conflict.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what I can tell from my INTJ BFF and friends,

ENTJs face things head on, and INTJs rather.. tend to 'flounder', they dissect and are more interested in the problem rather than the answer. Either of this can be good or bad; facing things head on is not a good idea when you're surrounded by walls, and floundering people would get out of the maze much later. ENTJs get things done quicker, potentially, but they have more scratches as well.

My INTJ BFF's love life when compared to mine kind of illustrate that. I face things head on, I took risks and got hurt-- won some, lost some. She has only been involved with one person, less wounds to heal, but also less experienced so far. Maybe that works better for her.

Give either a problem, and the reaction might be like this :
- ENTJ : "So what's the problem? Now how to solve it?"
- INTJ : "Hmm, interesting. Why is it like that?"

Give either something to learn :
- ENTJ will master it quickly, as needed. Then move on and study something else.
- INTJ will study it more diligently, will end up more thorough in knowledge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@Vanitas Whats up INTJ BFF buddy!

Speaking from my experience with me an my INTJ BFF we have some very clear differences. The E/I thing is easy to see when you combine it with the Te. Hes definitely more "social" than I am. He likes to hang out and chill with people, I like to get things done with people.

I am constantly ready to pull my hair out when watching him plan or execute something. Hes more social but more stuck on his plans and the stuff he wants. Its like he wants it and he knows why and its for him but it makes no sense when executed. Right now is particularly bad since hes planning his wedding. Who in their right mind cooks for their 300 person wedding BY THEMSELVES because their bride to be would not hear of having a pot luck. Why? How is that any sort of victory? Man.. he sure showed her with that one. Score one for Andy getting what he wants. ARGH!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
INTJs are more content going against the grain while ENTJs care more what others think about them. Ideas that aren't useful in the real world are more readily discarded by ENTJs and they move on to find something more useful.. INTJs are the same way more or less, but they will adapt around the idea and MAKE it applicable to real life.

·
Registered
648 Posts
INTJs are more content going against the grain while ENTJs care more what others think about them. Ideas that aren't useful in the real world are more readily discarded by ENTJs and they move on to find something more useful.. INTJs are the same way more or less, but they will adapt around the idea and MAKE it applicable to real life.
Sorry I totally disagree with this.
ENTJs care more about what others think about them?
Thats highly unlikely considering INTJs and ENTJs both have the same functions, just a different order. What about an ENTJ would make them care more about how others view them? Not to mention that any INTJ also has the same probability of caring for others viewpoints. It doesnt really make sense.

None of us use Fe, which is typically more about creating and "caring" about harmony and placating others.
We both use Fi, which is internal values, intrinsic morals and a general consensus of "is such and such WORTH it to me" or "is this WORTH my time".
Neither are really any better at caring or not caring what other think, so Im wondering where you got this viewpoint from?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sorry I totally disagree with this.
ENTJs care more about what others think about them?
Thats highly unlikely considering INTJs and ENTJs both have the same functions, just a different order. What about an ENTJ would make them care more about how others view them? Not to mention that any INTJ also has the same probability of caring for others viewpoints. It doesnt really make sense.

None of us use Fe, which is typically more about creating and "caring" about harmony and placating others.
We both use Fi, which is internal values, intrinsic morals and a general consensus of "is such and such WORTH it to me" or "is this WORTH my time".
Neither are really any better at caring or not caring what other think, so Im wondering where you got this viewpoint from?
Well, typically ENTJs don't care what people think of them when that person is below them. They only look up, but by virtue of being extroverted, you are subject to the approval of others more than an introverted person.
Fe is present in us all, even if it's not within our primary order.. but it is not your Fe that damns you, but your Te. The same Te that would be offended by my original post.. as caring what others think by an ENTJ's law is a weakness! But it is part of what makes people socially adaptable. The amoral stereotype admittedly comes from ENTJs playing by their own rules as they're stereotypically at the top, and thus do not care about anyone's approval. INTJ's who have a stronger Te preference can also show this..as they also tend to discard ideas that are not profitable to their ladder-climbing. But not all INTJs are like that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, typically ENTJs don't care what people think of them when that person is below them. They only look up, but by virtue of being extroverted, you are subject to the approval of others more than an introverted person.
Ok that makes a lot of sense

Fe is present in us all, even if it's not within our primary order..
Yes I definitely understand this and know that but I suppose I meant to say that because Fe is not in our first four that the likelyhood of us being more concerned, than let's say, an ENTP is probably slightly less. Even that is a sweeping generalization.

..but it is not your Fe that damns you, but your Te. The same Te that would be offended by my original post.. as caring what others think by an ENTJ's law is a weakness!
Definitely wasnt offended, but I was curious to see the reasoning behind what you wrote, I needed a clear cut explanation.
Blame my Te!:crazy:

But it is part of what makes people socially adaptable. The amoral stereotype admittedly comes from ENTJs playing by their own rules as they're stereotypically at the top, and thus do not care about anyone's approval. INTJ's who have a stronger Te preference can also show this..as they also tend to discard ideas that are not profitable to their ladder-climbing. But not all INTJs are like that.
This is interesting, I will have to observe this and look for it!
Thank you for the insightful knowledge.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if i can just 'geg in' (so they say), i speak from personal exsperiance when i say that i see no/barely any differance between ENTJ or INTJs, apart from the fact E like to talk alot, but i know a few I who are talkative too.
One of my best friends is an ENTJ, and he can basically do everything i can do, quicker, to a better standard and more effciently than me. And this comment thread has left me floundering. :crying:

Reactions: Emerson

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
This is taken from INTJ forum, but I found it quite accurate (and amusing).

ENTJs:

- They're practical when it comes to sex.
- That being said, they really like sex.
- Sex.
- They like to socialize, a lot.
- They hate socializing, a lot.
- The last 2 makes more sense when you realize that they have very high standards when it comes to intelligence and sensibility. They're really picky about who they hang out with. They're also very picky about who they come in contact with.
- The last statement also applies in reverse. People will either love or hate an ENTJ. Those who have been filtered out as "approved" by an ENTJ will be drawn to them. There is an exchange of mutual respect.
- If you break an ENTJ's trust, watch out. Don't even try making up for that.
- If an ENTJ has an interest in a subject, they will become experts, fast.
- Once an ENTJ is an "expert", its really hard to change their minds about it. They don't do anything half-assed, so you better have a solid case not only why you are right, but where they went wrong, and how it applies in some useful manner.
- This stubbornness doesn't just apply to fact, it also applies to opinion. They have very good reasons to have said opinion. In which case, don't try to change their minds. Because its just an opinion.
- However they do respect other people's opinions as long as it doesn't infringe on their own. This goes back to the mutual respect statement.
- Sex.
Thank you for giving me the first laugh of the day! ahahhaha VERY true, some more true than the others.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts