Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
We:

--are distant;

--talk in metaphors, similitudes, parables, and such cloudy circumlocutions;

--stick to our principles and so can be perceived as stubborn and uncooperative;

--are better looking than they are;

--have a reserved nature;

--and because of our reserved, studious, nature, often outdo others in sophistication;

--are in their opinion too accommodating and compliant;

--and because of this supposed over-accommodation are supposedly too self-denying;

--are hard to get to argue or fight (this bothers some personalities!);

--take life seriously;

--and other stuff too frightening for words.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
- we are stubborn or inflexible
- we don't keep in touch as often as they like, or drop off the planet
- we always need a cause
- we don't function or think like they do
- we are too easy on someone they think requires a firmer approach
- we seem aloof and intimidating to approach
- we stare into their soul and it makes them uncomfortable
- we are "too idealistic"
- we are judgmental about how people are treated or about causes that matter to us
- we get on our high horse and talk down at people when they attack us
- we engage in white-knighting
- we won't consider their opinion
- we won't surrender our principles in order to achieve goals they need our help to achieve
- we don't cope with sudden changes to plans very well
- we may completely cut people out of our lives, for reasons they don't understand

I don't think all of these are problems that we should change - some of them are good features, or things we cannot help - but they certainly are complaints that INFJs tend to hear from other types.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Not being able to function very well in modern society that favors machine like performance in the work place and not conforming very well to the expectations imposed by society as we are introverts. It only gets worse for those who are prone to anxiety and depression as modern society is a pressure cooker and a meat grinder all in one.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I do not have any troubles with INFJ's since we tend to arrive at similar ideas of how an ideal humanity should function and generally aspire to act accordingly. The degree of trouble is determined by individual cases, but i can say those who know better but don't do anything about it is trouble.

Although the pressures i experience with INFJ's as a group is actually inherit to the 'NF' category but the INFJ way of doing it is most effective to my temperament and that is when they have trouble letting go when satisfaction has been met to a high level. When in an INFJs 'love grasp' this calls upon more of my energy to investigate deeper into the relationship and then myself, then to find ways to place down what was illuminated with as much compassion as they were picked up. This is a tremendous strain as the situation asks me to remain which infringes on my freedom. But it is the price that has to be paid when getting as entangled as NFs tend to even when it is not completely meant by both.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Odinthor 's post is spot on!

Others to add to the list:

- Appear distant
- Too optimistic
- Too agreeable
- Don't make our own self-interests a priority over others
- Indecisive/ take too long to process and organize information
- Don't participate in black & white thinking. We're always considering shades of grey
- Quiet in large groups but talkative when one-on-one
- Over- achievers
- Too serious
- Slow to open up
- Too sensitive
- Stubborn and fight for what's right
- Not conforming to societal standards
- Willing to compromise our identities in order to harmonize

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Being Truth-seekers- Truth in itself annoys and frustrates most people, as it is. They don't wanna hear or see or understand it, and if you strive to seek, study and represent it, they'll have a few serious problems with you.

Being unshakable in the Truths one has found so far, being dead-serious about them and not backing down.

Mood swings, when you don't have the energy or the motivation to hide them.

Not doing things or living life the "conventional" (NORMAL) way.

Being late, but of course it doesn't apply to all INFJs.

(Also, I refuse some things people find too outrageous to even question, like hello/goodbye kisses, hugs and most handshakes.)

...And SO many others, but thankfully quite a few have been posted above.

·
Registered
300 Posts
- we always need a cause
- we are judgmental about how people are treated or about causes that matter to us
- we won't surrender our principles in order to achieve goals they need our help to achieve
- we may completely cut people out of our lives, for reasons they don't understand

I don't think all of these are problems that we should change - some of them are good features, or things we cannot help - but they certainly are complaints that INFJs tend to hear from other types.
Is it strange that i actually like almost all of these? It's the world that needs to change, peeps, you are just fine :tongue:

9,999 Posts
I really don't relate to stubbornness and extremely firm beliefs. Are they manifestations of Fe? How can you know something to be true to so absolute an extent that you won't consider someone else's take on it? Is it a feeling? I mean ... I would never consider the faith I grew up with and left to be true, but my dominant instinct when I encounter it isn't to stand my ground, but to understand what it feels like for those still on the inside. I don't find it difficult to mentally occupy the moccasins of an Al-Qaida fighter, or a steadfast Trump supporter. I wouldn't want to be them, but I don't think they would criticise me for being stubborn ... they would probably walk away from meeting me with a vaguely decent feeling of someone having listened to them.

My own understanding of the world and myself evolves all the time ... it's difficult to see where the ground would be firm enough to erect an immovable wall.

Reactions: Skyhowel

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
--are distant;
--talk in metaphors, similitudes, parables, and such cloudy circumlocutions;
--stick to our principles and so can be perceived as stubborn and uncooperative;
--are better looking than they are;
--have a reserved nature;
--and because of our reserved, studious, nature, often outdo others in sophistication;
--are in their opinion too accommodating and compliant;
--and because of this supposed over-accommodation are supposedly too self-denying;
--are hard to get to argue or fight (this bothers some personalities!);
--take life seriously;
- we always need a cause
- Appear distant
- Too optimistic
- Too agreeable
- Don't make our own self-interests a priority over others
- Indecisive/ take too long to process and organize information
- Don't participate in black & white thinking. We're always considering shades of grey
- Quiet in large groups but talkative when one-on-one
- Over- achievers
- Too serious
- Slow to open up
- Too sensitive
- Stubborn and fight for what's right
- Not conforming to societal standards
- Willing to compromise our identities in order to harmonize

Goddamn. I've only recently started getting into MBTI and I still can't get over how hauntingly accurate these trait lists always are for me. It's mind-blowing how so many of my behaviours are related and shared by other people. The dropping off the planet and cutting people out of our lives without explanation parts especially, I've always hated those things about me.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Ime, emotionally manipulative.

Reactions: warweasel and SOM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really don't relate to stubbornness and extremely firm beliefs. Are they manifestations of Fe? How can you know something to be true to so absolute an extent that you won't consider someone else's take on it? Is it a feeling?
Most INFJs are passionate about what they believe in. They are very understanding of others in ALL areas, unless thier personal convictions are at stake. THen they become passionate and resolute! Here is a great place describing it from 16 personalities.com

Determined and Passionate – When Advocates come to believe that something is important, they pursue that goal with a conviction and energy that can catch even their friends and loved ones off guard. Advocates will rock the boat if they have to, something not everyone likes to see, but their passion for their chosen cause is an inseparable part of their personality.

Advocates indeed share a unique combination of traits: though soft-spoken, they have very strong opinions and will fight tirelessly for an idea they believe in.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Many of you:
1. Trust is difficult and challenging. You sometimes look for reasons to be offended.

Some of you:
1. Look for reasons to minimize input from others and justify this, saying you get no help from others anyway-- this usually creates an inaccurate picture of the world whether you believe this or not. I suppose it's easy to get over-whelmed? This is not like any other type that I can think of... but I only know INTJs who do not do this, I can't think of a depressed one in my personal life...
2. Have a gloomy outlook on the world and this ideology seems real and since you have narrowed the input from others in this world, this creates a vortex it would be difficult to get out of-- you'd have to take a chance and broaden your Fe, you would need to get to know some positive people and this would also challenge your world-view and goes back to #1. What a perfect waste of rare Ni skills.... I consider this extremely sad.
3. Tend to lump individuals together in groups and not understand individual motivations for living their life as part of a system that is already gloomy and doomed from your perspective. You might also be living your life as part of these systems, but somehow are unable to use your own circumstance to understand that of others.

Some of you:
Use your own experiences to realize that each person is different and most mean well and are doing the best they can.
Look at the world with wonder and are able to use your skills to help others.
I love you guys so much! :heart:

9,999 Posts
Most INFJs are passionate about what they believe in. They are very understanding of others in ALL areas, unless thier personal convictions are at stake. Then they become passionate and resolute!
Thank you. I was like this once, in what now seems like a different life. From around 15 years of age, I believed with all of my might in some mad religious/spiritual doctrines I made up, in what was probably Ni + Fe untethered from Ti. When that cloud castle went up in smoke in my late 20s, I became depressed, lethargic and indifferent, and made a few attempts at finding some other fairytale to believe in, all of which failed. Fast forward 10 years and lethargy + unwillingness to dedicate myself to any belief are pretty much all that is left.

I suppose that a Very Healthy version of me would believe (Ni) passionately (Fe) in something which is accurate and true (Ti) and use it to make a difference in the world (Se). How infinitely distant the very idea seems...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts