Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would imagine that the INTP is probably one of the most misunderstood types of all. Do you have certain qualities about you that you consider perfectly normal (in your own mind), but other people address it as if it were an issue that needs fixing? The nerve of some people, man. But here's some of my normal qualities that I often get an unnecessary heap of crap for:

-When my lack of verbal input at that particular moment is somehow so agitating that it should be brought to my (and everyone else's) attention.

-When people ask for advice, so you give them a well thought out, rational conclusion and they say "I can't do that! You don't know what it's like in my shoes." So they view you as heartless for giving more practical advice, but would find comfort in something vague like "Everything's gonna be okay". :dry:

-My minimalist lifestyle (especially in regards to my bland clothing and lack of a smartphone.) This especially bothers people because my family is pretty well off, and they feel like that should equate to being materialistic.

I have a few more more but I don't want to bore my fellow INTP's to death. Discuss!

·
Registered
915 Posts
ENFP thinks I am broken and need repair -> he always pushes me to socialize and does not understand that I dont need people, want people.... He thinks it can be fixed really easily... (Because he socializes all the time...)

Some people have problems with my sense of humour and think that my humour are personally attacks... When I am being nice they are like OMG it is the first time you are nice....

Also I like to confuse people with misinformation, if they ask stupid questions they are going to get stupid answers... Leading to nobody trusts me with anything....

But on the other hand I am really helpful (2w1) and I help people every time they ask (mostly computer issues, sometimes they ask for my objective criticism, because I can usually tell them what to improve and what the teacher is not going to like about their presentation... I am usually very accurate and the teacher really points out what I do....)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also I like to confuse people with misinformation, if they ask stupid questions they are going to get stupid answers... Leading to nobody trusts me with anything....
Trolling is a work of art. It's especially funny if you're doing it in a group and someone else catches on and joins in. I do what you said sometimes, or other times if I'm really bored I'll just make something up entirely. It's amazing because if you sound like you know what you're talking about people usually buy it.

I would imagine most INTP's are thought of as intelligent, so maybe they hold what we say to a higher regard... Or completely ignore us, I'm not quite sure which.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
People with an I-personality are probably sometimes annoyed by my openness and eagerness to communicate.

People with an S-personality are probably often annoyed at my tendency to make things abstract, and with my speed if I don't keep it in check.

People with a J-personality are definetely annoyed by my flexibility and (to them) seemingly fluid/chaotic personality and disrespect for tradition.

As luck would have it, my whole biological family is made up of ESTJ's! :D

Reactions: dude123456

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-The total disregard for talking for the sake of talking
-minimalistic lifestyle
-not being emotionally biased
-being overly logical/objective
-being hard to read
Speaking of hard to read, do you ever the issue of people getting mad at you for seeing right through their motives? They encourage you to "try your best shot" at figuring them out and when you do they retaliate with anger or indifference.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Speaking of hard to read, do you ever the issue of people getting mad at you for seeing right through their motives? They encourage you to "try your best shot" at figuring them out and when you do they retaliate with anger or indifference.
All the time actually. As soon as they start to retaliate with anger I know I'm getting somewhere:proud:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I think that external circumstances have conditioned me to not say all of what I'm thinking, because through past experiences when I do say what's on my mind, the reactions can be anything from a startled and confused look to an angry protest. But then a lot of the time, even despite my hesitation over saying something, I say it anyway, already knowing what reactions to expect from the people I'm talking to, because of previously analyzing their characters through my experiences with them.

This especially happens when friends discuss controversial subjects and all have their decisions and judgments. And then I come in, argue for one perspective for a while, before arguing for another perspective, and then trying yet again to see the subject in another way, without forming a final judgment. People think that I wholeheartedly agreed with one side, but when I argue for that side, I then start picking apart my own position, and argue from a different angle, which makes people feel a sense of cognitive dissonance, or confusion, over what I really believe. But it takes me a while to form my beliefs, and I need to know all the sides before making a tentative decision, which may change with new information.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Misunderstood and therefore annoying/ confusing people - story of my life.

But for sake of having examples:

-I was in a relationship and people gave me that bewildered look to find out that I didn't call or see him everyday.

-I was asked out and people had a strong opinion that I should have accepted.

-People had strong opinions about me dating an underclassman when others of our group had done the same thing earlier in the year, but somehow for me, it was wrong.

-Being blunt, giving evasive answers, being comfortable hanging out with the guys doing "guy things," not answering their questions about other people (giving in to gossip and such), ...

... that's just off the top of my head but I am sure there are so many more examples.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My having seen next to no chick flicks (or popular movies/tv shows) bewilders most people and makes them think I have either had a neglected childhood or I live under a rock.

My lack of needing a significant other is simply not understood by 90% of my country.

Whenever I say something objectively and people take it as an insult... Just no. I have neither the motivation nor the time of day to come up with insults for you.

One thing that usually amuses me more than annoys me is watching people squirm whenever I go silent and they think it is enormously uncomfortable. Hehe...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
The fact I'm known to change my mind, or position, very suddenly if I think it's the rational thing to do. I can debate a choice in great detail, seeming to come down in favour of one position with a slew of justification, and then just go "oh, wait, yeah that's a stupid idea" if I see a really good reason against it, and drop it without much caring. People who are used to being invested in ideas for emotional reasons are often left confused. Combination of Ti pragmaticism and Ne flexibility.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm extremely fluid with how I go about things; I personally think (and have learned from experience) that planning things out too much is probably just going to lead to disappointment or frustration. I hate planning how situations that are very flexible and unpredictable are going to go, and I hate trying to help others understand that not everything needs a strict agenda and them as the regime. My flexibility to events has surprised a lot of my teachers and annoyed most of my peers, but I would rather it be that way instead of annoying them with overzealous planning.

That's the only one I can think of that hasn't already been built on: I'm extremely blunt, I give sometimes-too-rational advice, (but most of the time this is actually a good thing - even though I don't like hearing other people's problems, I like thinking about solutions TO their problems that would make sense. Speaking of, does... that... make sense?) I'm quiet when I feel like I need to be, I'm generally hard to read and often give off the impression that I'm upset or depressed when I'm ~*~*~*rly jus bein me*~*~*~, and I can see both sides of an argument very easily which is apparently really agitating for a lot of people even though I only see it as an advantage. Whatever.

Also, I seem to have caught the sarcasm bug, and the symptoms have gotten worse by the day. It's a struggle, but I've only grown used to it. Pray for me, friends.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Misunderstood and therefore annoying/ confusing people - story of my life.

But for sake of having examples:

-I was in a relationship and people gave me that bewildered look to find out that I didn't call or see him everyday.

-I was asked out and people had a strong opinion that I should have accepted.

-People had strong opinions about me dating an underclassman when others of our group had done the same thing earlier in the year, but somehow for me, it was wrong.

-Being blunt, giving evasive answers, being comfortable hanging out with the guys doing "guy things," not answering their questions about other people (giving in to gossip and such), ...

... that's just off the top of my head but I am sure there are so many more examples.
This is why it's so weird.

l relate with some of these, but l don't think people view it the same way.

Like being asked out and being told you should have accepted or even worse, responding to someone who's trying to set you up.

l don't really know where to begin...declining is seen as, what, rude?

Or obstinate somehow. But wtf does that even mean? l'm not walking around viewing myself in a way that is either ''yes/no'' to such a proposition, so when l reject unwanted flirtation l just view that as normal behavior...same way l would engage any other interaction l wasn't prepared for.

l'm also sometimes being told l've given an evasive answer(not dating wise, just in general) to a question that l didn't really see myself to be in the position of answering with any certainty.

So, l'm evasive because l was approached about something l may have little interest in, lol.
lt seems to all stem from the same misconception.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.