Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fear is the most powerful driving force for change. As we as a generation are today responsible for the world we want to live in, it's interesting to figure out what are those fears so that we can put them behind us to push us, rather than keeping them unconsciously in front of us, stopping us.

For me, the 3 biggest meta-fears are :

1. Not being productive enough. The acceleration of time urges us to do more in less time. Not doing anything, while we have the ability to do almost anything in the blink of an eye, is very stressful for me.
2. Not knowing everything, or missing something important. The huge amount of information available urges me to get as much of it as I can, but I never get satisfied whether because the actual content doesn't live up to its enticing title, or because as soon as i close a tab, I meet another enticing title, then another, etc. Not clicking on them makes me fear I missed some important information, and most of the headlines are precisely crafted to provoke this fear, this "curiosity gap", based on what we call the Zeigarnik effect. But again, most of the time I'm disappointed by the content, and the time I lost leads me back to fear number 1, as I feel the need to do twice as much efforts to catch up.
3. Feeling over-responsible. The baby-boomer generation was obsessed by the idea of freedom. But everything pushed to its extreme turns into its opposite, so our generation finds itself bound to rebalance with the notion of responsibility to save the world from a complete disaster. It's like if the roles were interchanged, our generation being the "adults" while the boomers continue to behave like the child they were before. This is an overwhelming sensation I can't escape, so it leads me to take actions in order to assume this broad responsibility regarding the world, and fear 1 and 2 play a role in making these actions even more stressful.

But the thing is that even then, I feel happy. I have an optimistic view about the world, about the future, even if a lot of things are going haywire. I just can't turn off this optimism and enthusiasm regarding life, just as I can't turn off my 3 fears. This is the kind of balance we need in our world. Keeping faith, and putting our fears behind us. To boost us. To change the world.

Share your fears.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If we're speaking by generation, I think you're fears aren't specific enough.

For Gen Y fears, I think it ranks among:
- becoming too dependent on technology
- being too spoiled and passing that onto the next generation
- not being competitive enough
- not being unique enough

Reactions: Polexia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean they are too specific to me ? :) Yes that's what I'm talking about, I was talking about my own meta-fears related to the era we're living in, and encouraging everyone to do the same so that we can deduce the most recurrent ones and so, the most common fears of our generation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts