Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an ENTP, I can't stand to spend the time to deeply master any one thing. Some recent interview experiences make me feel like this is a flaw. I was thinking about the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" but later learned that I've been misusing it. The original quote is:

Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oft times better than a master of one.

So, ENTPers, what personal advantages do you experience in having a broad range of interests and abilities? What career choices have you made that have taken advantage of this?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There are a few occupations where general knowledge about everything pays off. Game designer and Science Fiction Writer come to mind. Well-roundedness works well in any artistic and creative endeavor, and it's not just the jack-of-all trade aspect that describes us, but I kind of encyclopedic knowledge, the kind you see on Jeopardy. The professions are out there, but they are few.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Ideas and skills can apply to all different areas and tasks. Applying ideas and skills which aren't traditionally associated with a topic or task can provide novel insights, help solve problems, and outshine other in performance. etc. Though it would be to aim for that effect, since it is difficult to know where or if overlapping skills or ideas will be fruitful. Practicing bowling isn't going to necessarily make you a better gymnast. But if you naturally have a wide range of interests you'll occasionally encounter happy coincidences of applying skills/ideas.

Me personally I've been working on writing a few books ...and the ideas I'm writing about are all pretty much the result of gathering ideas from a wide range of topics and blending them together. For example I've been working on a book about economics whose insight is using the things I learned in chemical engineering and applying them economic systems.

Perhaps the key to combining skills and ideas from different areas isn't even so much a matter of having a wide range of interests as it is a matter of not getting stuck in thinking about things and doing things in conventional ways.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think it makes us exceptionally well rounded which can be applied to a multitude of life situations. One of the biggest advantages is being able to find common ground and talk with anyone. It is a skill that is probably one of the biggest ways to get ahead or get opportunities. You can be the best technical person in your company but most people don't see how good you are because they are not intimately involved in your work or your projects tend to be longer term (so it takes a while to see the results). If you keep your head down and just hope people notice you, you are most likely going to be left behind. However, if you are able to make conversation with the CEO because he is into discussing coffee growing in Costa Rica (which you have at one time looked into out of curiosity) or golfs regularly (which you do occasionally), he actually will know your name and associate you with a pleasant conversation where you seemed to understand and you will get much farther than the person who will just wait to be applauded for doing a good job.

·
Registered
389 Posts
As an ENTP, I can't stand to spend the time to deeply master any one thing. Some recent interview experiences make me feel like this is a flaw. I was thinking about the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" but later learned that I've been misusing it. The original quote is:

Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oft times better than a master of one.

So, ENTPers, what personal advantages do you experience in having a broad range of interests and abilities? What career choices have you made that have taken advantage of this?
For those who Really Love Fun, isn't that alone reason enough?

My friends, some of them who are masters in whatever field they've chosen, yes, they get the satisfaction of learning more about the subject with every passing day and climbing up the career ladder. But I've always felt that they do miss out on the variety that life can offer us all but no, I don't tell them that. If they'd understand, they'd also be jacks of multiple trades.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Here's a famous jack of all trades: astronomer, historian, geographer, philosopher, poet, theater critic, mathematician, librarian. Being multidisciplinary is the ultimate weapon, hope that inspires you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've come to find that a lot of different skills can build off each other. Just because I have experience with one skill or one career doesn't mean that it won't be useful anymore once I pick up another. The more skills I learn, the faster I become at learning new skills and sometimes the old skills help with coming up with 'new' and better ways on doing a new skill.

I've jumped around in careers a lot and I certainly don't feel behind compared my colleagues. My expertise is just different. When something weird and unusual comes our way I'm one of the best people for the job because it's not weird or unusual for me. I do new things all the time. I will admit that at times I won't know something nearly as well as someone else who has specialized but if we got people who have that covered why do I need to know the exact same thing? Wouldn't it be better if I brought something new to the table? It has never hurt me when it comes to finding a job. If anything it has opened more doors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts