Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a recently-diagnosed (is diagnosed the right word?? it sounds so negative) ISFP who lives in a big East Coast city. I'm not convinced that it's the best place for me to live - I find it hard to be in tune with nature here, and with all of the crazy sounds and people rushing around, it's hard to lay back and just take it all in without being judged as lazy.

I've looked online and can't seem to find any forums where ISFP's discuss top cities for our personalities. So I ask: what do you think are some good cities/towns for ISFP's to live in where we wouldn't be judged too harshly for being sensing feelers? It can be a city/town you live in or have lived in or even a city/town your friends/relatives have lived in and told you about.

I'd really rather people don't speculate about cities they've never been to and/or never heard anything about from trusted sources, because that's not too helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is a great topic, I'm anxious to hear what other ISFPs think about this as well.

As for me, I live in a rural valley about a 2 hr drive north of LA, and I love the small town friendliness and easy access to the outdoors. It's big business used to be horse farms, but now it's all about the vineyards and wine. It's only 45 minutes to a city of over 100,000, so if you want nightlife options, you just drive a little. The proximity to LA means we have a lot LA transplants and tourists, so it's a small town without being isolated.

Other places I have visited and considered moving to are Winter Park, Colorado; Banff, Alberta, Canada; and Fernie, BC Canada. Everyone was so friendly to me when I visited, I felt like it would be easy to make new friends and get settled in. Plus, nature and year-round outdoor activites are right out your backdoor.

North Lake Tahoe is another place I have considered, as there are many transplants from other areas, but it's a slower pace and smaller town than South Tahoe.

Honolulu, Hawaii is another I could see myself in. The other areas of Hawaii I think would be too isolated, and it would be harder to fit in. The locals I have met are friendly, but they openly comment about how they don't like outsiders moving in. In Honolulu, though, there's people from all over the world, and it offers all kinds of nightlife. But it's only a short drive to get to isolated beaches and hiking trails.

I considered moving to New Zealand after visiting there, but I felt like Auckland was just too big of a city for me, and the other towns just seemed too isolated for a single lady to meet people.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The Pacific Northwest is the quintessential IxFP playground!

What I like about some of the smaller towns surrounding Portland/Seattle/etc. is the fact that you can live in a somewhat "rural" area but only be a short commute away from a larger city and the coast/beach. Completely surrounded by natural beauty and access to countless hiking trails and the most gorgeous parks.... not to mention the coasts are to die for!

The other two places that I have considered more seriously as well and have visited myself (and loved) are Colorado and Montana. Both provide the adequate space, and outdoor recreation opportunities that are an absolute must for myself personally.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Those small, pseudo-hipsterish types of cities with a lot of charm and culture, with many trees that change with the seasons and possibly by the sea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been hearing lots of positive things about the PNW. The furthest north I've been (besides a layover in Seattle) is just north of San Francisco. I don't like lots of rain, so I'd probably get depressed up there in like Oregon or Washington, but San Fran feels about right. I liked how people just lay around in parks there and just relax. I've never seen a big city with so many happy people before. I had that same experience in Austin, Texas, but of course, it's not as big a city.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, I have many relatives and friends in San Francisco, and it is a beautiful city. Too big for my taste, but of all the big cities I've visited, it's my favorite.

The only complaint I hear is it's very expensive to live there, which leads to a very driven and high achieving culture. Everyone wants to be at the top, so they can get the bigger paycheck in order to pay their bigger bills. My cousin finally got tired of this fast-pace and moved to Tucson. My one friend in SF works 80 hours a week as an attorney just to stay afloat. My other friend there also pulls his hair out with his high-profile job, but uses every extra penny he has on a rental house in Tahoe (3 hrs away), where he spends his weekends.

It's totally do-able, but I prefer a more relaxed pace.:happy:

·
Registered
402 Posts

What I like about some of the smaller towns surrounding Portland/Seattle/etc. is the fact that you can live in a somewhat "rural" area but only be a short commute away from a larger city and the coast/beach. Completely surrounded by natural beauty and access to countless hiking trails and the most gorgeous parks.... not to mention the coasts are to die for!
I've thought about moving to Portland; I have family there and one of my good friends wants to live there too. My cousin offered for me to stay with them for a year or two to go to school, and I was so tempted, but it's out of state for me, being a Californian, and I don't think I could get any financial aid. I really want to though.

I already live in a rural area, and it would be great for me if I hadn't lived here all my life. I have the beach, the mountains, and rivers that I could go to. It's a really great place to live in my opinion, at least for someone who doesn't need a ton of social activities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a great topic, I'm anxious to hear what other ISFPs think about this as well.

As for me, I live in a rural valley about a 2 hr drive north of LA, and I love the small town friendliness and easy access to the outdoors. It's big business used to be horse farms, but now it's all about the vineyards and wine. It's only 45 minutes to a city of over 100,000, so if you want nightlife options, you just drive a little. The proximity to LA means we have a lot LA transplants and tourists, so it's a small town without being isolated.

Other places I have visited and considered moving to are Winter Park, Colorado; Banff, Alberta, Canada; and Fernie, BC Canada. Everyone was so friendly to me when I visited, I felt like it would be easy to make new friends and get settled in. Plus, nature and year-round outdoor activites are right out your backdoor.

North Lake Tahoe is another place I have considered, as there are many transplants from other areas, but it's a slower pace and smaller town than South Tahoe.

Honolulu, Hawaii is another I could see myself in. The other areas of Hawaii I think would be too isolated, and it would be harder to fit in. The locals I have met are friendly, but they openly comment about how they don't like outsiders moving in. In Honolulu, though, there's people from all over the world, and it offers all kinds of nightlife. But it's only a short drive to get to isolated beaches and hiking trails.

I considered moving to New Zealand after visiting there, but I felt like Auckland was just too big of a city for me, and the other towns just seemed too isolated for a single lady to meet people.
How did you find life in New Zealand? I've always considered moving to Auckland and I hear the life isn't as fast paced as elsewhere and people take their time to appreciate life and not just work. Thats one of the main considerations on where I will choose to settle and start life.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I love living where I live, it is town, rather than a city, and I live near the sea. :proud:

·
Registered
640 Posts
How did you find life in New Zealand? I've always considered moving to Auckland and I hear the life isn't as fast paced as elsewhere and people take their time to appreciate life and not just work. Thats one of the main considerations on where I will choose to settle and start life.
My brother and his girlfriend have been living in Auckland the past 3 yrs. The people are friendly, but they drive very aggressively. He quit riding his bike to work because it was so dangerous (and he's used to Southern California traffic).

I think it's like any city in the world, you'll find nice people and not so nice people. In general, though, they are a very friendly and active population. Everyone is out doing some physical activity when not at work - sailing, running, swimming, hiking, soccer, volleyball - you name it, they probably have a club for it. They work very hard, but they play hard too.

I personally could not picture myself there indefinately, and neither can my brother and his girlfriend. They say it's been a fun experience, but they are ready to come home.

Keep in mind that workers do not have the same support systems as here in the US. For example, my brother's girlfriend works at an ice cream company, and accidentally got locked in their freezer. The door is broken, but there is no OSHA to back her up and make them replace the broken door. People don't sue over there, which can be both good and bad.

On the bright side, kidnappings are low, since it's an island (where can they run off too?). This means parents can let their kids go out of sight while walking down the street, which makes for a more relaxed atmosphere.

I think in general the attitude in NZ is more "go at your own risk" than the US, which I like. For example, there's a huge monolith on a beach that you can climb at your own risk - they provide a simple rope to hang onto, even. If this rock was in the US, however, it would be off-limits for sure.

I would say visit before you move there, and see if it meets your liking.

·
Banned
41 Posts

The other two places that I have considered more seriously as well and have visited myself (and loved) are Colorado and Montana. Both provide the adequate space, and outdoor recreation opportunities that are an absolute must for myself personally.
Woops. Double post.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I'm not sure. I've lived in Washington for over 30 years and haven't been able to relate to anyone here, but maybe that's because not very many people understand ISFPs.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
the outskirt of the city. looking in.
to choose between the green and the grey.
when green turns black, grey turns colorful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am from Ontario, Canada. I honeymooned in Alberta and B.C. and Banff, Jasper and Vancouver were my favorite places.

I live on a farm about 45 min from Toronto (which is a big city that I would never be able to live in)... I am SUCH a rural-girl. I need to live in a place with lots of vegetation, trees, bike paths, parks..etc. I cannot stand busy cities - and although Vancouver is a big city the way they've designed it is that it's full of parks and wildlife and the trees are amazing (I am a fan of big trees). It's very expensive there though.

Banff was amazing - not too populated, not too isolated, right in the middle of mountains and beautiful picturesque scenery... lots of cute little shops and things but very touristy. I'd still live there in a heartbeat. After our honeymoon we really considered moving to the west coast... I'd still love to.
My dream is to live on a lake-front property (kind of cottage-like) surrounded by forest but still close to civilization (not too isolated).

Generally, I like living on the outskirts of cities, in smaller towns, but close enough that if I get that itch for excitement and nightlife, I can take a trip into the busy side of things.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Austin, TX. 4 Years there and loved it. Find a nice place on the west side. Plenty of places near parks and rivers. There was a 4 month period where I didn't turn my air conditioning on once. :crazy: Great night life is never far or in short supply.

Thailand is really nice and affordable. Plenty of small houses you can rent along the beach on different islands. People are poor but their spiritual lives are rich so they're usually pretty good to be around with.

I'd grow old and die in any of the above.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts

I was looking to going to the Seattle area. I imagined the northwest as being perfect for my personality type. I'm open minded, accepting, more of a naturalist, what better place eh? I live in Michigan at the moment and I've lived in Connecticut, and Florida more than any other place. I'm hoping the north west will finally be what I've been looking for. I'm so sick of searching for my place and my people.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts