Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
A few things to ask yourself: What sorts of job options are available in your area? Are you in a small town or a big city (distance can play a role)? Are you more interested in just having a job for some spare cash, or are you wanting to intern?

Here's some insight to some of my past jobs in highschool and college:
I made the most friends and learned the most about humility through the restaurant side of hospitality. I also fine tuned my bullshitting and schmoozing skills like whoa.
I got the most perks but came home with the most headaches from retail.
I got paid to do my homework and sometimes answer phones or check someone in on the hotel side of hospitality. I also learned a lot about babysitting drunk wedding parties.
I've learned the most about this and that from temping with a staffing agency.
I learned the most about compassion through volunteering.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
It depends, do you want a good/fun job or just want money?
The latter is fairly easy, just do whatever you can that pays fairly well. I've found working in a hotel as a waitress pretty fun too, people are around and chat alot, but not all waitress jobs are like that. Never do supermarket jobs (I hated it) and customer service jobs aren't great (you have to be so nice and happy and smiley when all you want to do is scream).

Reactions: Monte

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
NEVER WORK IN A MARKET.

Or at least not at the register.

God, just standing there... for four to eight hours a day.

It was torture.

But I'm about to work as a waitress, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wonder how common that is...? And what do you mean exactly. Hearing stuff like that makes me not want to eat out.
It's only common if you're a blatant jerk. I worked fine dining, and dealt with the types who drank bloody mary's (extra extra strong) for breakfast, martinis for lunch, and maybe solid foods for dinner. I've been physically assaulted because someone didn't like how I split the check, even though it was exactly what they asked for. I've been berated because someone didn't understand that the ribeye they ordered is supposed to be a fatty piece of meat. I've had a gun waved in my face because someone didn't get the table by the fireplace. You treat someone like that, and you can expect your food to be fucked with. Dropping items on the floor and placing them back in the plate, eye drops in the water, dish water used for cooking, dirty utensils simply wiped off behind the door and then handed back, etc are all common for the truly vile customer. If you're nice to your server, they will remember and treat you with respect so you should never have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bussed at a nice restaurant for a year or so. I really enjoyed it. I didn't have to wait tables, which I hated, and got to goof around with the waiters, cooks and, BONUS, bar tenders! Lots of freedom and decent tips.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bussed at a nice restaurant for a year or so. I really enjoyed it. I didn't have to wait tables, which I hated, and got to goof around with the waiters, cooks and, BONUS, bar tenders! Lots of freedom and decent tips.
I hear that. I loved food running and hostessing. Less pressure, more freedom, and good tipout ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
In this job market, take whatever you can get. I work as a Sales associate at American Eagle and a Marketing representative at Liberty tax and im 17, and it wasnt wasy getting either job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts