Personality Cafe banner

What are the best synonyms for each of the dichotomies?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Persona Maiden 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my attempt:

Attitude (I or E): Energy focus: Intensive vs. Extensive

Perception (S or N): Information type: Concrete vs. Abstract

Judgement (T or F): Reasoning method: Absolute vs. Relative

Orientation (J or P): Primary combination: Pi-Je or Ji-Pe

---------------------

Making this true:

Ni: Intensive abstract information patterns
Ne: Extensive abstract information patterns
Si: Intensive concrete information patterns
Se: Extensive concrete information patterns
Ti: Intensive absolute reasoning patterns
Te: Extensive absolute reasoning patters
Fi: Intensive relative reasoning patterns
Fe: Extensive relative reasoning patterns

--------------------

Definitions:

"Intensive" meaning focused on what you have (what is stored in your brain already).
"Extensive" meaning focused on what is out there (what exists in the outside world).

"Relative" meaning what things are in relation to each other (Honesty > Winning).
"Absolute" meaning what things exist. Period. (1+1=2)

"Concrete" meaning what exists in material form (a tree)
"Abstract" meaning what exists as idea (the word "love" in a person's mind)

"Pi-Je" meaning using primarily introverted perceiving and extroverted judging (in any order).
"Ji-Pe" meaning using primarily introverted judging and extroverted perceiving (in any order).

--------------------

Thoughts:

Jung formulated some of his ideas aware of the theory of the unity of opposites first put forth by Heraclitus

All of the functions being some sort of pattern of either information or reasoning was a cool idea to me, but that may just be my intuition-soaked thinking leaking. It would be cool to see what any sensors out there think of that.

This requires some flexibility of thinking when it comes to the actual definition of words, but it helped me to look at the whole typing system as a system of dichotomous patterns.

I'm not fully happy with it, though, so some input would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Here's how I (currently) see it:

E/I= Where you (instinctively/naturally) rely on:
E= Relies (instinctively/naturally) on a foundation of external information
I= Relies (instinctively/naturally) on a foundation of internal information

S/N= The part of reality you (instinctively/naturally) focus on:
S= Focuses (instinctively/naturally) on particular points
N= Focuses (instinctively/naturally) on general concepts

F/T= What kind of aspect you are (instinctively/naturally) influenced by:
F= (Instinctively/naturally) influenced by human aspects
T= (Instinctively/naturally) influenced by technical aspects

J/P= How deal (instinctively/naturally) with the imediate moment:
J= (Instinctively/naturally) deals with the imediate moment by directing information
P= (Instinctively/naturally) deals with the imediate moment by observing information

#4 · (Edited)
I also think of the e/i as internal/external.

I tend to think of S/N as sense and explore. N explores either their own (internal) future, or it explores the workings of things and people around them (external). Se is the real "sense" one, that's too accurate to change. Si though, is more about organising information into a history of everything. That's pretty hard to put a label on for me.

J/P is a modifier, and isn't really a personality trait in itself as it just modifies the stack arrangement... J, is the planner. They have to make a plan to go from one side of the room to the other. P is reactive, and wouldn't make a plan to build a house. I wish they weren't J&P and P for planner is so easy to remember...

maybe J/P should be reaction / action?

Ni + Se: Collecting world sensations and organizing them into a framework, looking at the 'big picture' and not the details.
Si + Ne: Collecting information and organizing it while seeking out possibilities in the outside world.
Fi + Te: Formulating personal values and feelings in relation to outside rules and systems.
Ti + Fe: Formulating personal rules and systems in relation to outside social structures and values.
This seems pretty accurate as long as you're only talking about the two primary functions. INTP and ISFJ and ESFJ and ENTP for instance all use their Si + Ne combination very differently :D. Your description of it is most applicable to ESFJ, ISFJ, ENTP, INTP getting less applicable from left to right (as it's almost not applicable at all for me)

#8 · (Edited)
I'll have to work on the wording then because it's definitely also applicable to how your brain works. Si/Ne for example is a continuum that goes from exploring ideas to structuring information. Everyone finds their own balance in that. I'll have to find a better descriptor for it though.
Ti+Ne doesn't always structure and store all the information it takes in. Ne can find ideas about how something works, then Ti can say "nope that seems false", and then it never gets to the Si at all. So Ne+Ti can work together without Si getting involved. So if you ignore the Ti truth gate, yes Ne+Si works exactly as you're saying... but that doesn't really describe an actual process that happens. Well.. in the order it happens.

edit: I would say most people use their two dominant functions without their third getting involved every time (or being a dominant influence if you want to put it that way). And if Si is the inferior function like in ENTP, they go out of their way to never store the information Ne provides. They just think "Why would I do that, it might change later". Which is why they trip over the same crack in the sidewalk on the way to school every day for years.

edit: edit: also there is nothing abstract about Ne. Ne is the part of you that wants to work out how stuff works. If you have an idea Ne says "how would all the pieces of this idea come together". Dominant Ne users want to cut open things to see how it works, they want to pull apart the clock and see the gears turning :D. You could argue that Ni is abstract in a way, as it's supposition based on supposition, generally affected by all the imagined cogs of the universe. Still not really what I consider abstract, but I get that. Ne to me seems the opposite of abstract in every way I think of it.

#12 ·
Ti+Ne doesn't always structure and store all the information it takes in. Ne can find ideas about how something works, then Ti can say "nope that seems false", and then it never gets to the Si at all. So Ne+Ti can work together without Si getting involved. So if you ignore the Ti truth gate, yes Ne+Si works exactly as you're saying... but that doesn't really describe an actual process that happens. Well.. in the order it happens.

edit: I would say most people use their two dominant functions without their third getting involved every time (or being a dominant influence if you want to put it that way). And if Si is the inferior function like in ENTP, they go out of their way to never store the information Ne provides. They just think "Why would I do that, it might change later". Which is why they trip over the same crack in the sidewalk on the way to school every day for years.

edit: edit: also there is nothing abstract about Ne. Ne is the part of you that wants to work out how stuff works. If you have an idea Ne says "how would all the pieces of this idea come together". Dominant Ne users want to cut open things to see how it works, they want to pull apart the clock and see the gears turning :D. You could argue that Ni is abstract in a way, as it's supposition based on supposition, generally affected by all the imagined cogs of the universe. Still not really what I consider abstract, but I get that. Ne to me seems the opposite of abstract in every way I think of it.
Thank you for this. It actually explains a lot of things I never understood about the INTP mind in relation to the theory. As an INFJ, my Ti is always struggling a bit, which means it's hard to get a good feel for how it works in Ti-doms.

#3 ·
Honestly, I'm more of a fan of the axes than the dichotomies. When you look at Te+Fi (for example) as a single brain process, things start making a lot more sense.

Ni + Se: Collecting world sensations and organizing them into a framework, looking at the 'big picture' and not the details.
Si + Ne: Collecting information and organizing it while seeking out possibilities in the outside world.
Fi + Te: Formulating personal values and feelings in relation to outside rules and systems.
Ti + Fe: Formulating personal rules and systems in relation to outside social structures and values.

Of course there's a lot more subtlety to all this, but I've found that this works very well as a starting point for me personally. The dichotomies in my opinion don't really do justice to the fact that humans are very complicated creatures where every part of our cognition is interconnected. You can't just focus on one single aspect when they're not separate in practice.

#16 ·
Let's try

Introverted functions= Subjective Reality
Extroverted functions= Objective Reality

Feeling Functions: Emotional Based Reasoning
Thinking Functions: Logical Based Reasoning

Intuitive Functions: Collecting Data from abstract patterns
Sensing Functions: Collecting Data from concrete patterns
----------------------------------
Fi: Subjective Emotional Based Reasoning
Fe: Objective Emotional Based Reasoning
Ti: Subjective Logical Based Reasoning
Te: Objective Logical Based Reasoning
Si: Subjective Collector of data from concrete patterns.
Se: Objective Collector of data from concrete patterns.
Ni: Subjective Collector of data from abstract patterns
Ne: Objective Collector of data from abstract patterns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.