Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vault between both of these types relatively frequently, so I'm thinking there must be some form of overlap. However certain parts have to be showing through more that push my from N to S and vice versa. What do you think these are?

Thanks guys =)

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Both ENTJs and ESTJs use Extroverted Thinking as their top functions, which has to do with ordering in the outside world, i.e. organizing things and trying to do things the most efficient way. Where ENTJs and ESTJs differ are their supportive, or secondary, functions: ENTJs use Introverted Intuition, and ESTJs use Introverted Sensing. These two can be confused from time to time; Introverted Sensing links the past to the present, such as remembering something similar that happened two months back in the present situation, or sometimes even using the past to 'predict the future'. Introverted Intuition links the present to the future, taking into account what is now and imagining 'what will be'.

Essentially, the difference is how the two use their functions in conjunction. ENTJs organize their thoughts and try to do well efficiently, evoking Introverted Intuition to make insights of the present moment to best judge what will be, and therefore begin planning for the future. ESTJs, to the best of my knowledge, are also focused on efficiency, but use Introverted Sensing to judge what was before, and to begin planning the best course of action now, based on trends in the past.

Ni can often be mistaken for Si, or vice versa; however, you seem to have your type as 'INTJ' now. Did a change occur?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a different test, the one that eveyrone's got badges on last night and it's placed me as an INTJ. Still, I'm not...surprised in a sense, because my I and E are 50 50. The last two functions however never change.

That was a very interesting analysis though. Thanks a lot for that. I really learnt something!

·
Registered
393 Posts
ESTJ workplace or room tends to be more tidier / organized. This is because they have Si, which like to see things their way

·
Registered
707 Posts
My roommate is a lot like me and she is an ENTJ. She is REALLY good at math and abstract concepts, and she is MUCH more patient with people than I am. Our sense of humor is really quite similar, but our groups of friends are completely different. She's more willing to have a lot more "charity case" friendships than I am.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I vault between both of these types relatively frequently, so I'm thinking there must be some form of overlap. However certain parts have to be showing through more that push my from N to S and vice versa. What do you think these are?
Perhaps your personality is in a quantum state. If so, enjoy the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I am copying and pasting

Allowing Your ESTJ Strengths to Flourish

As an ESTJ, you have gifts that are specific to your personality type that aren't natural strengths for other types. By recognizing your special gifts and encouraging their growth and development, you will more readily see your place in the world, and be more content with your role.

Nearly all ESTJs will recognize the following characteristics in themselves. They should embrace and nourish these strengths:

They believe strongly in doing their duty, and perform out of a sense of duty, rather than an expectation of getting something in return.
They usually have a good memory.
They're natural leaders.
They are usually good strategists and "game" players.
They are generally law-abiding and hard working.
They are Loyal -- to their family, friends, country, etc.
ESTJs who have developed their Introverted Sensing to the extent that they regularly use their tremendous inner stores of data when forming their principles for behavior enjoy these very special gifts:

They understand and create effective and fair principles that are unconditional, and in so doing, they perform a great social service.
They may make outstanding Judges and Politicians.
They live their life in a highly ethical and moral manner.
They are great strategists, and may make great military commanders.
They're able to create systems for behavior to meet all of the needs that they encounter in life. In such a way, they are satisfied because their world is organized in a principle-centric way that is effective and enduring.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Allowing Your ENTJ Strengths to Flourish

As an ENTJ, you have gifts that are specific to your personality type that aren't natural strengths for other types. By recognizing your special gifts and encouraging their growth and development, you will more readily see your place in the world, and be more content with your role. Nearly all ENTJs will recognize the following characteristics in themselves. They should embrace and nourish these strengths:

· Able to cut straight to the chase in any situation and not be sidetracked by non-essential issues.

· A propensity for leadership which follows naturally from their ability to control and manage real time/real world situations.

· A talent for factual analysis unbiased by prejudice or emotion.

· A “can do” approach to life which makes the working environment a positive place for them.

· A strong regard for positive social and economic institutions, structure and government.

· Second to none time and space management skills, everything organized and in its place.

· Able to constantly synthesize and adapt new ideas and concepts into strategies for business, social, financial or environmental development.

ENTJ’s who have a well-developed Introverted Intuitive function to complement their dominant Extraverted Thinking will enjoy these very special gifts:

· A talent for creating great benefits through the addressing of social justice issues.

· The ability to recognize and mediate their potentials in accord with the expectations of others.

· An approach to life which includes an awareness of the differences between their needs and those of others.

· Able to know when to stop and take stock of life and recognize the qualities of the moment.

· A talent for showing others the way to get past difficulties in their outer life

· A broadening of their own ambitions which includes rather than excludes others from the decision making and the benefits which flow from their achievement.

·
Registered
707 Posts
They believe strongly in doing their duty, and perform out of a sense of duty, rather than an expectation of getting something in return.

It's like instinct. When I am put in a situation where I see chaos, I will create order. It's just something I do without thinking. Think about the little cleaning robot on Wall-E. Directive: see something that needs to be done and do it.

It KILLS me when people see things that need to be done and just sit around. KILLS ME!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts

It's like instinct. When I am put in a situation where I see chaos, I will create order. It's just something I do without thinking. Think about the little cleaning robot on Wall-E. Directive: see something that needs to be done and do it.

It KILLS me when people see things that need to be done and just sit around. KILLS ME!!!!!!!!!!
So you don't expect anything in return??? that doesn't sound right....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Can someone explain why this happens??
TurranMC described the differences to me very well not too long ago. The differences between the two types in terms of cognitive functions is:

ENTJs use Te with Ni

ESTJs use Te with Si

Using Si as the second dominant function, Si will base a decision or problem solving in a manner of using a past experience in order to determine the best route of action for the present or future task.
Si description: past experiences; "what is" evoking "what was"; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been

An ESTJ will be more likely to respect/appreciate how "things were" as opposed to an ENTJ who is using Ni as a secondary function: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols

So both of these types do use Te as a dominant function, however an ESTJ will be more prone to using a different approach based on the Si secondary function.
This tends to make most ESTJs (and other sensory types) more applicable to doing work out of a sense of "duty". Using a past experience, or using the method of "how things were and how they should be" will give evidence as to how work or conflict should be handled.

ENTJs will be less likely to follow through with this method because Ni is about future possibilities, rather than Si.

The differences between ENTJ/ESTJ might seem minimal, but they are in fact vastly different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.