Personality Cafe banner

What are the possible MBTI with 5w4

[Enneagram Type 5] 
Tags
5w4
27K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  majogutierrez99 
#1 ·
I have seen some claims of INTP 5w4 lately. I am trying to think if this is even a possible combination for a personality.

It seems to me that the clash of Dominant Ti and Enneagram 4 is just so unlikely if not impossible to occur. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who think they are INTP 5w4 are likely INFP 5w4 which is a far more likely outcome. I'd enjoy being proved wrong.

If you are INTP 5w4 please share your analysis of how your personality works.

#3 ·
I'm an INTP 5w4.

The issue that you're seeing is related to the cognitive functions being inaccurate. A lot of people interested in personality types have learned that someone's functions must be ordered in a symmetrical way of alternating introversion and extroversion, such as Fi, Ne, Si, Te. According to this idea, if someone's dominate function is a thinking one, their fourth function must be a feeling one; furthermore, if someone's secondary function is a sensing one, their tertiary function must be an intuitive one, and so on. Despite the fact that these ideas of the cognitive functions are present all throughout personality forums, they are actually a myth.

The biggest issue with the cognitive functions is that it contradicts with everything that is known about psychology and biology to assume that someone's personality would be so perfectly symmetrical. In actuality, biology and psychology are usually a lot messier and chaotic than the cognitive functions would lead you to think. For example, it's biologically possible that someone's four main cognitive functions might look something like: Te, Ni, Fe, Ti. There is no evidence that someone's cognitive functions must be laid out in the way that most people believe, and basing things on what is known about biology, it's more likely that someone's personality would be a lot less organized than this.

All we can really do in comparing someone's MBTI and their Enneagram type is compare the Enneagram type with the traits dictated by the four letters of the MBTI. In doing this, I think it's definitely uncommon for any 5w4s to be extroverted types, as introversion and seclusion tends to be a trait of 5s. It also seems to be relatively uncommon for sensing types to be 5s, as sensors that think a lot tend to do so in more practical ways. Overall, I think that INxx types are more likely to be type fives than anyone else.

#4 ·
All we can really do in comparing someone's MBTI and their Enneagram type is compare the Enneagram type with the traits dictated by the four letters of the MBTI. In doing this, I think it's definitely uncommon for any 5w4s to be extroverted types, as introversion and seclusion tends to be a trait of 5s. It also seems to be relatively uncommon for sensing types to be 5s, as sensors that think a lot tend to do so in more practical ways. Overall, I think that INxx types are more likely to be type fives than anyone else.
I've read that a lot of ISTPs are Type Fives. I imagine these are the ones which fit the 'mechanic' stereotype, mastering technical skills or working on concrete projects. It's not unknown for ISTJs to be Type Fives either. I think a store of factual knowledge should fit equally as well as the abstract concepts and theories that Intuitives favour: a 'librarian', so to speak. I don't think it's any more 'practical' to spend your time reading dozens of history books or tinkering with gadgets in your garage than what Intuitives like to do.

#8 ·
INTP 5w4 here.
Type 5 is my Ti and Te(intp have a bit of Te too
Type 4 is my Ne.
I value logic and reason, but admire the beauty of the fudamental laws of the universe and how things work. I dont have much emotions in mkst tjings, but I am very pasionate about the things I research in and interested in, which is always something that values logic.
I like art, but art is not my favourite, and I can live without art, literature and music.

#9 ·
I have seen some claims of INTP 5w4 lately. I am trying to think if this is even a possible combination for a personality.

It seems to me that the clash of Dominant Ti and Enneagram 4 is just so unlikely if not impossible to occur. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who think they are INTP 5w4 are likely INFP 5w4 which is a far more likely outcome. I'd enjoy being proved wrong.
INFPs value feelings, love and emotions more than logic. They are very unlikely to be type 5.
Dominant Ti seldom pair with type 4 dominamt in Enneagram, that means 4w5 intp is rare, but type 4 do associate with Ni or Ne, and Ne is the 2nd function of intp.
If u think it is impossible for intp to be 5w4, what Enneagram type can intp be?

#12 · (Edited)
INFPs value feelings, love and emotions more than logic. They are very unlikely to be type 5.
Why hello there. : ) It's not that I value feelings/emotions over logic. It's that I'm in touch with my internal emotional depths and nuances. It's more like a value system, like building my life around a hierarchy. As an INFP 5, I find that I respond to internal emotions from a detached/observer perspective rather than from an engaged/experiencer perspective. This serves usually to de-escalate the emotions rather than to escalate the emotions (which is a tendency of type 4s).

I personally think that INTPs can be 5w4; it makes sense. I don't see Ti being that profoundly different from Fi, myself. I have noticed that those who use Fi tend to be masters over their emotions and tend to temper them very well since they have spent so much time analyzing and experiencing emotions - especially the uncomfortable ones. But that's just my experience and certainly not a substitute for any sort of methodical conclusion.

Edit to add: I actually value logic over emotions, though I would call it critical thinking/observation/knowledge/science over subjectivity.

Reactions: Lady of Clockwork
#11 · (Edited)
This is a good article explaining the relationship between INTPs (INTJ, INFJ, & INFP) and their relationship to Ennea type 5 and its wings.

This link correlates the different cognitive functions and Enneagram types, if you're interested in that angle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Here's a chart for the Types with Wings that might help:

#14 ·
Enneagram and MBTI measure completely different aspects.

The "cognitive function" description of enneagram types have a different nuance. Notice that type 1 is correlated with "Te" and yet the stereotypical ExTJ is a type 8.

Aaaaand I just noticed that OP hasn't logged on since January. Lol

Reactions: brightflashes
#15 ·
Yeah, I with you - I don't like to mix the theories mostly because they exist outside of each other and because trait theory is based on a different set of "rules" than the Enneagram theory which is more a philosophical explanation of personality. However, I do know that a lot of people find value in combining them and I can respect that. : )

Reactions: Tamehagane
#18 ·
I'm an INTP 5w4. I value logic, analysis and honesty and I really enjoy philosophical and theoretical topics. I'm a research addict with a love of science and maths, yet I like to apply my logic and analysis to art and English, I find the subjects fascinating. To be honest, I don't understand myself too well, that's why I'm here , to develop my understanding. I guess type four associates with Ne, so that may be where it comes from. But you can't really say it's almost impossible, just unlikely. However it depends on the person's experiences and values and where they focus their Ti, rather than the Ti itself I guess. I think type fours have a desire for uniqueness, I don't know for sure, and INTPs like originality and creativity. I'm not entirely certain, but mbti and enneagram don't match up exactly, but 5 is definitely a logical type, and 4 is just a wing.

#22 ·
I am 5w4 and my MBTI is ISTP (i did it 3 years ago and I just did it again) So, i think it's possible that 5w4 can be T. Maybe our wings are not very strong. I got the attribute of 4 in aspect of the desire of being unique and seek for the deep feeling. However, when it comes to working or professional, i rather use my head since we are 5 anyway

#23 ·
People are not answering OP's question (despite her not being online for possibly 2 years), and while it's understandable that some users have some objections toward the premise, it isn't quite entirely false. Four is what I would say emotionally imaginative and introspective on their values and self beliefs, which is kinda derivative to a head type (but not absolutely contradictory). Ti being heavily correlated to 5, doesn't seem to have at least a strong correlation toward 4 (or even any other Enneagram types for that matter). An IxTP with an Enneagram other than five seem to be influenced by other functions (particularly auxiliary or tertiary) in their stacks (ISTP 8 seems more influenced by Se than an typical ISTP still maintaining Ti detachment and impartiality). Ti is a function that does detachment fully to be objective and impartial (supported by Fe), and does so until it reaches to a(n) (agreeable) conclusion or realization. This is the default for Ti and explains the strong correlation to 5.

I'm a 5w4, and while more imaginative, passionate, and artistic-ism than 5w6, I'm still objective and detached with perhaps a passionate motivator or reasons for my engagements or executions. I'm unconventional and more aversive to institutional facts than 5w6 because how of restraining they are to me and potentially dogmatic without questionings (which isn't exclusive to 5w4, but it is the most common).

(If you don't wanna read my intro, go here to see the direct answer)

MBTI types probable (as implied on this thread, every mbti type is possible with 5w4 but not every is probable) with 5w4:

ISTP (relatively stronger and higher Ni usage than a typical ISTP)
INTP (Ne usage is amplified but still stable)
INTJ (Similar to ISTP in that tertiary Fi is relatively stronger and higher in usage than a typical INTJ)
INFJ (Equal between Ni and Ti)
INFP (Fi serves more as a motivator and Ne is relatively less scattered)
ENTP (Extraverted type most likely to be one and have a stronger (or perhaps as equal) Ti with Ne)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.